PDA

View Full Version : Angry Parent/Football Coach Runs Onto Field & Decks Young Opposing Player!!!

ILS1
09-05-2006, 07:22 PM
STOCKTON, California (AP) -- An assistant youth football coach was arrested on charges of felony child abuse after rushing the field and knocking an opposing player to the ground, police said.

Cory Petero, 36, of Riverbank, turned himself in to Stockton police Saturday night following a late hit that turned into a brawl, with parents and children from both teams fighting on the field.

The incident was recorded on videotape. (Watch coach plow down opposing team player -- 1:35)

Referee Tim Winek said he had just called a penalty on Brian Wood, 13, a Stockton Bears player.

"There was a penalty on the play, and it was a late hit," Winek said. "The parent of the kid who got hit took exception to it. He came charging out onto the field."

Daniel Champion, who identified himself as Wood's father, told The (Stockton) Record that his son suffered bruises on his stomach and jaw from the hit.

The brawl erupted about 3:30 p.m. with less than a minute left to play between the Riveroak Redskins and the Bears.

Fighting continued for about 20 minutes, according to witnesses. No major injuries were reported.

Police are investigating.

Story Link (www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/05/footballbrawl.ap/index.html)

Buckeye80
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
What a bunch of JA's!:rolleyes:

Mustangpride09
09-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Wow.

Paratrooper
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
I saw that on TV today. The guy should be locked up. How stupid.

IHStangFan
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Luckily I'm not a father yet, and that wasn't my kid. I'd be in jail for attempted murder. Granted, the bigger kid did in fact lay a late hit, but still VERY uncalled for on the coaches part.

Buckeye80
09-05-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
I'd be in jail for attempted murder.

I am a father, and I'd be in jail for succeeded murder!

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I could see eagle1 doing this, except he would hit the kid with his cane.

CalallenWildcat
09-05-2006, 09:48 PM
For fear of being ROMmed, I will shorten my comments to "this is uncalled for."

Cameron Crazy
09-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Crazy!!:eek:

MagicMan
09-05-2006, 09:55 PM
you guys are sorry. i bet your kid would be mad at you for not having his back. i think punk kids like this deserve it. they're playing youth football and this big kid who probably thinks he's a BA finds the smallest kid on the field and lays him out after the play and actually nowhere near where the ball was. kind of like when warren sapp hit that clifton guy and almost ended his career. except this was after the whistle which makes it worse.

DaHop72
09-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
you guys are sorry. i bet your kid would be mad at you for not having his back. i think punk kids like this deserve it. they're playing youth football and this big kid who probably thinks he's a BA finds the smallest kid on the field and lays him out after the play and actually nowhere near where the ball was. kind of like when warren sapp hit that clifton guy and almost ended his career. except this was after the whistle which makes it worse. You sure have been upset over something for about three or four days now. You need to chill a little bit.

hereandnow
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
La-who-sa-her

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2006, 10:26 PM
you guys are sorry. i bet your kid would be mad at you for not having his back. i think punk kids like this deserve it. they're playing youth football and this big kid who probably thinks he's a BA finds the smallest kid on the field and lays him out after the play and actually nowhere near where the ball was. kind of like when warren sapp hit that clifton guy and almost ended his career. except this was after the whistle which makes it worse.
Great googly moogly! :eek:

MagicMan
09-05-2006, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
You sure have been upset over something for about three or four days now. You need to chill a little bit.

you're right. me and my girlfriend have been having problems and things arent looking too good.

hereandnow
09-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Great googly moogly! :eek:

Wasn't Fred's statement "Good Googly Woogly"?

DaHop72
09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
you're right. me and my girlfriend have been having problems and things arent looking too good. So don't take it out on us.:D

MagicMan
09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
So don't take it out on us.:D

sorry about that. im trying not to. i was really just taking the side of the coach because no one else was and i thought maybe he could use a friend.

LH Panther Mom
09-06-2006, 06:12 AM
i was really just taking the side of the coach because no one else was and i thought maybe he could use a friend.
What he needs is a good swift kick in the seat of the pants. ;)

BTEXDAD
09-06-2006, 07:28 AM

Actually a good point, majic man. I was thinking same thing. The kid who made the late hit was twice the size of the other.
I would have been upset if I was father of either kid,
but adults need to try to set good example and show restraint.

football4life
09-06-2006, 07:32 AM
wow nice hit, suit 'im up!

Phil C
09-06-2006, 08:14 AM
you're right. me and my girlfriend have been having problems and things arent looking too good.

WELL KISS AND MAKE UP AND WORK THINGS OUT AND START GETTING ALONG!! :mad:

kaorder1999
09-06-2006, 08:15 AM
if he gets jail time it will be well known inside the jail that he was in there for hitting a kid...he will get what he has coming to him!!!

BTEXDAD
09-06-2006, 08:52 AM

haven't you ever heard of make up sex?

Phil C
09-06-2006, 09:20 AM
DON'T BLOW YOUR COOL!! :mad:

AP Panther Fan
09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
good grief, this is the kind of parent that (by the time the kid reaches high school) could get ticked off enough to go and shoot a coach...sound familiar?

he needs anger management or something.....:rolleyes:

kaorder1999
09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
yeah...that guys kid will suffer because of his dad.

olddawggreen
09-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
Actually a good point, majic man. I was thinking same thing. The kid who made the late hit was twice the size of the other.
I would have been upset if I was father of either kid,
but adults need to try to set good example and show restraint.

The kid was twice the size of the player he hit, but the dad was more than twice the size of the kid that he hit.
As parents things like this can get pretty emotional really quick.

The dad/coach should have had more restraint, he should have taken it up with the officials, or the coach of the other team, or just let the kids work it out themselves on the next play, or something. Adults don't hit kids. Restraint!

Of course I say that knowing that if I was standing on the sidelines watching my kid play, and an adult ran out on the field and hit my kid, you would see me set a land speed record out to the adult that did it to show him some of my old tackling proceedures. My restraint might not show up until about 5 minutes after I had him on the ground.:mad:

kaorder1999
09-06-2006, 10:05 AM
if I was the father of the kid who got hit by the adult I would have been in jail after this incident and that would be for what I would have done to that adult, not a kid