PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Reasons You Can't Blame.....

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Pete Carroll for USC Losing to Texas in the 2006 Rose Bowl

Thursday at 10 pm ET on ESPN classic.

pirate4state
09-05-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Thursday at 10 pm ET on ESPN classic. Thanks. I'll have to make a note to watch!! Should be good!! Wonder what the #1 reason is??? :thinking:

TheDOCTORdre
I can see the #1 reason being #10

piratebg

Thursday at 10 pm ET on ESPN classic.

I think I'll autotune that one.

carter08
09-05-2006, 04:38 PM
GO TROJANS :D

Phil C
09-05-2006, 04:41 PM
I wonder if they are going to blame Reggie Bush. :rolleyes:

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 04:44 PM
It's ESPN, they will try to make Texas look as bad as possible.

And I saw an article on Reggie Bush, he is quoted as saying that USC would beat Texas 9/10 times.

LH Panther Mom
09-05-2006, 05:27 PM
And I saw an article on Reggie Bush, he is quoted as saying that USC would beat Texas 9/10 times.
And they might very well could. BUT, last year when it mattered, they didn't. :devil:

htowntransplant
09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
well pete carrolls decision making was really odd. leaving your heisman winner and superstar on the bench in a 4th and short at a key juncture in the game is flat out disturbing.

lostaussie
09-05-2006, 06:49 PM

And I saw an article on Reggie Bush, he is quoted as saying that USC would beat Texas 9/10 times. that's crazy. UT was every bit as good as USC. i say the horns would win 6 out of 10.

Maroon87
09-05-2006, 08:41 PM

That's coming from the same brain that said "You know what? I think I'll lateral here.":rolleyes:

Bulldog_12
09-05-2006, 09:16 PM

Not if Mark May had anything to do with the article.

Texas-Fight
09-05-2006, 09:19 PM
The Heisman trophy winner that year was having a not so good game. Lindale White was carrying the rock well all night and he is a better fit for a short yardage situation. So that was the only smart move by Carroll.

sww-bull52
09-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
That's coming from the same brain that said "You know what? I think I'll lateral here.":rolleyes:

:evillol: :crazy1:

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 09:26 PM
Lendale White was the most consistent player on the USC team last year. He had 2 games without a touchdown and only 2 with only one touchdown.

Pmoney
09-05-2006, 10:10 PM
well crap i dont have ESPN Classic...will someone post the reasons on here for me?

Phil C
09-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
well crap i dont have ESPN Classic...will someone post the reasons on here for me?

I'm sure it will be posted P.

One thing we have to remember about Reggie Bush is that the UT defense was keying on him and that was what helped White and Leinart be so effective. Just like we will be keying on AP when we play Oklahoma for obvious reasons even though they have other good offensive players.

Phil C
09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm going to predict the top five reasons just to see how close I am:

Honorable Mention: Coach Chow leaving as USC coordinator. Great UT defense. The game was in the Rose Bowl which made it more of a home game for USC and probably caused overconfidence.

5. Mach Brown and UT assistants who have coached longer in college football than Pete Carroll.

4. USC defensive players from 2004 went into the draft early.

3. Pressure of having won 34 straight games.

2. Reggie Bush (I think this is crazy because the UT defense was keying on him but I bet it makes the list).

1. Vince Young

Txbroadcaster
09-06-2006, 08:34 AM
I never thought Carroll should take blame for the 4th down call..What is NOT talked about was USC being forced to call last TO during the 2pt conversion. Think after the Bush catch and run if they would have had a TO.

As far as using Bush as a decoy, You really think Texas would have bought it? It is 4th and 2, the power back has been the one to hurt you all game. If you dont stop them here it does not matter if they score or not, so I think the defense still packs the line and expects White to get the ball whether Bush is in there or not. So why waste a blocker by putting in someone who is nothing but a decoy.

Phil C
09-06-2006, 08:53 AM
I forgot about the fourth down call but I wouldn't have it on my list.

Phil C
09-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I never thought Carroll should take blame for the 4th down call..What is NOT talked about was USC being forced to call last TO during the 2pt conversion. Think after the Bush catch and run if they would have had a TO.

As far as using Bush as a decoy, You really think Texas would have bought it? It is 4th and 2, the power back has been the one to hurt you all game. If you dont stop them here it does not matter if they score or not, so I think the defense still packs the line and expects White to get the ball whether Bush is in there or not. So why waste a blocker by putting in someone who is nothing but a decoy.

Tx that is a good point about the last timeout that they didn't mention. With 8 seconds left on the last play Leinart could have had the option to throw a pass quickly up the middle and call time out with maybe one or two seconds left. As it was they had to try to the outside but of course the middle rush forced him out of the pocket so he may not have had time anyway but it still shows a wasted time out. Who knows maybe on the play before Bush might have been able to run up the middle for ten yards and got the time out and be close enough to try a field goal to send the game into overtime.

Phil C
09-08-2006, 09:23 AM
The top five reasons will follow. The program emphasized the fourth and two call. They argued that it should have been punted then Texas would have had farther to go and time would have been against them. I disagree because by getting the first down they could have run a lot of the clock out and even if they had to punt it then time would have been on USC's side. As it was UT would have had the ball with two timeouts left (they only used one) so I think the two yard try was wise because it had worked for them all night.

Honorable Mentioned was the After Further Review factor on UT's first td which they said would have shown that it was a forward lateral. This didn't make the list and I agree it shouldn't because even if the td didn't count UT would have had a good chance to score a td anyway. Besides this would have possible used more time and USC might not have got the field goal before the half.
Also honorable mention was on 4th and two why was Bush on the sidelines instead of in the game. This to me is weak because White had been killing UT on his runs and would probably do it again. Another one was that in the 2005 Rose Bowl against Michigan UT drove down the field and won it on a last second field goal so it was too dangerous to give UT the ball anywhere with over 2 minutes left.

Now their top (ESPN Classics) five reasons:

5. Student Body Right, Student Body Left. Meaning they ran the plays that White to get the first down and have had great success with it making it the right call.

4. The Streak. I thought it was maybe the pressure of it but they said what they had been doing had worked for 34 straight games. Why not one more time?

3. Bushwacked. Reggie's fumble. We all know about that. I knew it would make the list.

2. In-Vince-Able. I knew Vince would make the list but I thought he would be No. 1. Vince has won several games in the last minutes and it was as mentioned before wise to not take a chance with 2 minutes left to give it into his hands. Better to take a chance with your offense which had been unstoppable the second half and get that first down to run the clock down and make UT use its' last timeouts.

1. Michael Huff. Great original thinking on their part here. I had put down the defense but they hit it on the head here. On the fourth and two Huff (a defensive back) took off for the line and helped stop the run that White was short on. With his defensive position there was no way he should have been where he was. But he was not only a great defensive back as he had been awarded top defensive back in the country but he showed he was smart. White had made two tds on that play before and had been successful. Huff instinctively knew what would happen and he reacted at the right time enough to be the difference in the stop. Had USC tried a quick pass play they would have got the first down easily and maybe a td. But history was made. I commend ESPN Classics for this viewpoint.

That is it. As they say now: Let the Debate Begin.

awizzy
09-08-2006, 09:52 AM
i think vince should have been 1 and huff two but its still a good list

Johnnypaycheck
09-08-2006, 10:16 AM

that is why they don't play a series!

BTEXDAD
09-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
that is why they don't play a series!

As someone else said earlier, the quote from Bush about "beating texas 9 times out of 10" came from the same brain that decided it was time to try an English Rugby style lateral in the middle of a football game.

WestTXLonghorn
09-08-2006, 12:03 PM
This is a joke, right? ESPN Classic didn't show a WHINE program about the Rose Bowl did they?

Seriously, I'm tired of USC and their cheating celebrity players complaining about the Rose Bowl. They played the game of their lives (Matt Leinart went like 15 of 17 in the second half, Lendale ran the rock like a beat, etc.) and STILL got beat.

I'm surprised their top ten reasons weren't #1-#10: Vince Young. I watched every game last season, I was at the Rose Bowl and I kept up with the commentary on the Longhorn team the WHOLE SEASON. Before the Rose Bowl every analyst and "expert" talked about how great Vince Young WASN'T. They talked about his questionable decision making, how he couldn't throw the ball, how he would NEVER. . .just NEVER go ahead of Matty boy in the draft, etc and so forth. Then all of a sudden they want to change their tune when Vince showed the world what Longhorn fans already knew.

I suppose you have to find some reason to justify all that idiocy about the "Greatest Team of All Time". Vince is a good cop-out. Now the Trojan loving media can blame everything on VY and they kill two birds with one stone. They disrespect Texas and make excuses for the Trojans at the same time. Now, this year's football team gets to live with the same BS. And I'm sure if we go back to the title game the national media and ESPSuck will pick against us the whole damn season and then will magically see the light after we win. Ever hear that saying SSDD?

Just in case some people here didn't know. . .Michael Huff a safety got drafted like #8 or #9. . .Cedric Griffin went as the 3-4 pick in the second round as a DB. . .we also send 2 offensive linemen and a defensive lineman to the NFL from last year's squad. The rest of our team was pretty much underclassmen. Pretty embarrassing for the Trojans to get beat by a bunch of underclassmen and a head coach labeled as a "choker". Also, if one guy can beat your whole entire team by himself, what does that say about your football team?

Would you like some cheese to go with that whine?

Diocletian
09-09-2006, 05:58 AM
#10: Their defence not tackling

#9: Bad calls, not being challenged

#8: Ovious off the field trouble that we've found out recently

#7: Over confident, something a coach wants but in this case backfired

#6: Bad kharma from everyone saying they came in with 2 strait championships, when in actuality they only had 1 very recent championship.......IAW the BCS

#5: That Reggie Bush lateral was just horrible lol game changing play, no way Pete could have been at fault there lol

#4: Assistant coaches not performing their responsibility of getting the right players on-in time- for a freaking extra point lol now that was kind of funny there, the player on the field signaled TO then when the camera went over to Pete we all saw his disgust

#3: L. White, dude runs all over TX all night outside, inside, breaking tackles......what coach wouldn't have confidence in him for a 1 yrd run needed to seal the deal???? certainly if I had a back that was just tearing up the field i'd give him the ball and say........"you've already ran for 150 now get me ONE"

#2: The Heisman trophy, VY had comparable stats that were the equal of the COMBINATION of the 2 USC stars no way in hell he should not have won it, this guy works so hard and was not rewarded and he was soooooo pissed he took his game to "Superhuman" status and went out to prove something where Reggie Bush went out there to celebrate.

#1: Vince Young eats kryptonite for breakfast, munches solid steel sandwiches for lunch, has a Whataburger for dinner........and he tops off his day by eating Chuck Norris cookies for desert..........

Diocletian
09-09-2006, 06:00 AM
and "no" I never made it to the state final in the Spelling Bee championship

LMAO