PDA

View Full Version : Texas now 2?

kaorder1999
09-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Notre Dame wins and drops from 2 to 4? USC beats Arkansas and jumps to #3? Texas beats UNT and moves up a spot? Is it just me or was that done to hpe up this weekend's game even more???

TMer25
09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Could be. But it's also alot more in line with the coaches poll that had Texas ranked 2, and ND ranked 5th

kaorder1999
09-05-2006, 02:29 PM
i think it just shows that the AP poll is freaking worthless.

TMer25
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Lol, that too.

pirate4state
09-05-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i think it just shows that the AP poll is freaking worthless. :clap: I think you may be on to something! ;)

kaorder1999
09-05-2006, 02:32 PM
I see no reason why teams can win and go down in polls. It doesn't happen in the HS AP poll and if it does its very rare

kaorder1999
09-05-2006, 02:33 PM
here is the new AP poll

AP POLL (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/specials/top25_front/standings.html?SITE=TXDAM&TEMPLATE=COLLFOOTBALLHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME)

manormustangs
09-05-2006, 02:56 PM
it happend like this because notre dame was really overated and should of blew out georgia tech.....the ap did the right thing and put texas and usc over nd........notre dame has not proven nothing since last year....they got spanked by ohio state and then bearly squeek by GT......come on now they shouldent even be int the top ten........

Phil C
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I've seen teams drop and they didn't even play due to a bye week. :confused:

Phil C
09-05-2006, 03:57 PM
The polls are very fickle. Who ever loses the UT vs Ohio State game will of course drop and if the winner has a bad game and even if they win the polls will use that as a reason to drop them especially if you have an undefeated Notre Dame vs USC game then they will both be rated one and two. And the cycle continues. TV loves to have a bunch of No. 1 vs No. 2 games. It is good for ratings and profitable to everyone.

BTEXDAD
09-05-2006, 04:01 PM

possibly worthless. That's the one that helped USC go for their three peat isn't it? AP voted for usc When LSU won the BSC National Championship in 2003.

Notre Dame did not look good against GA tech however.

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
That's why it's not included in the BCS process anymore.

KTJ
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Anyone who didn't see this coming doesn't know college football very well.

TheDOCTORdre
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Anyone who didn't see this coming doesn't know college football very well.
I saw it comin from a mile away

Snydertigersrul
09-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Notre Dame wins and drops from 2 to 4? USC beats Arkansas and jumps to #3? Texas beats UNT and moves up a spot? Is it just me or was that done to hpe up this weekend's game even more???

I think the poll is off too. The Longhorns should be No. 1.

piratebg
09-05-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
I think the poll is off too. The Longhorns should be No. 1.

I agree. #1 until proven otherwise. :D :clap:

htowntransplant
09-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The polls are very fickle. Who ever loses the UT vs Ohio State game will of course drop and if the winner has a bad game and even if they win the polls will use that as a reason to drop them especially if you have an undefeated Notre Dame vs USC game then they will both be rated one and two. And the cycle continues. TV loves to have a bunch of No. 1 vs No. 2 games. It is good for ratings and profitable to everyone.

much worse is how the BCS is set up. either ohio state's or texas's BCS championship hopes are going to be shattered or nearly shattered. you can say the same about miami. the BCS is dumb because they schedule these marquee matches between teams that could very well be the best team in college football when the regular season is finished. it stinks for miami because were just going into week two and their chances of reaching the championship game are going to be VEERRRY hard. they will need to run the table and get help from the other teams ahead of them in the polls. the BCS is pathetic.

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
much worse is how the BCS is set up. either ohio state's or texas's BCS championship hopes are going to be shattered or nearly shattered. you can say the same about miami. the BCS is dumb because they schedule these marquee matches between teams that could very well be the best team in college football when the regular season is finished. it stinks for miami because were just going into week two and their chances of reaching the championship game are going to be VEERRRY hard. they will need to run the table and get help from the other teams ahead of them in the polls. the BCS is pathetic.

Well since we KNOW there is not going to be a play-off anytime soon, would you rather see schools just beat up on bad teams to protect their ranking?

And if your going to lose, then do it EARLY..a one loss team losing in week one still has a great chance to make it if they are in the top 5-10 when they lose. Yes they will need some help, but upsets will happen and there will be a few times this year top 5 teams battle.

I would rather see the top teams take a chance and play each other..Cause I know I am pumped about this weekend's game..not sure I would be if Texas was playing La Tech or someone.

And as far as Miami vs Fla state, that is a league game so they were going to play sometime in the season no matter what.

mrescape43
09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm afraid Texas won't be top 5 after this weekend.

Emerson1
09-05-2006, 07:44 PM
Unless they get blown out they should still be. How can they say OSU is #1 and Texas is not a top 5 teams if it takes 5 OT for a team to win?

Txbroadcaster
09-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Unless they get blown out they should still be. How can they say OSU is #1 and Texas is not a top 5 teams if it takes 5 OT for a team to win?

It all depends on how the game plays out. Last year OSU dropped down to 9th after losing to Texas...What hurt OSU could hurt Texas if they lose, the fact they are losing at home. If Texas would have lost by the exact same score last year that they won bvu, I dont think they would have dropped as far as OSU did. And of course what everyone else does this week plays a part as well

MagicMan
09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
this is all just to add more hype to the game. its better for television to think you're watching the top 2 teams in the nation playing each other instead of #1 vs #3. if this game hadnt been scheduled usc would be #2 right now.