PDA

View Full Version : National College Rankings (NF)

pirate44
09-05-2006, 06:19 AM
http://www.caller2.com/2006/pics/G-UniversityRank0905.jpg

Texas A&M University-Kingsville's service to the community and to low-income students earned it the No. 77 spot on a Washington-based political magazine's recently released annual list of the nation's top 100 colleges and universities.

Unlike U.S. News and World Report's annual list, Washington Monthly's rankings did not place a major priority on graduation rate, faculty resources or college entrance exam scores.

In fact, consulting editor T.A. Frank said the magazine disregarded academic prestige altogether.

"We're trying to change the way people look at schools with this guide," Frank said. "Instead of asking what they can do for us, we're asking what they are doing for the country."

Frank said A&M-Kingsville's ROTC participation rate gave the school a boost, as well as its high number of students who were awarded Pell grants, which are largely based on family income.

The magazine measured schools based on three variables: social mobility, research and national service. A&M-Kingsville gained points by being ninth in the nation in the rate of students who participate in Reserve Officers Training Corps, according to magazine researcher Avi Zenilman.

Frank said the number of students who receive Pell grants also helped the school earn a place in the top 100 among Harvard University, the University of Texas at Austin and Princeton University.

A&M-Kingsville awarded Pell grants to 2,956 students, or 44 percent of the school's population, in the last academic year. University spokesman Jason Marton estimated about 50 to 60 percent of the school's graduates in the 2005-2006 school year were Pell grant recipients.

Sgt. Anthony Bell said that strong recruitment and retention efforts by the school have increased enrollment in the ROTC program.

"We try to get students involved the best we can," said Bell, an instructor with the program. "Once we get them in the program, we keep them there with leadership activities."

McAllen native Jorge Fuentes, 21, said the school's ROTC program has helped him decide to embark on a military career. The cadet, a geology major who holds the rank of lieutenant colonel, has been in the school's program for three years.

"The program has taught me to be a leader," Fuentes said. "(And) as soon as I joined, I was offered a dorm scholarship."

Bell said that, along with housing incentives, the program also offers four-year scholarships.

Frank said the school's graduation of ROTC cadets, while something that may be ignored by parents seeking to send their children to prestigious universities, grabbed the magazine editors' attention as a significant contribution to the nation.

"The rankings do not measure what it is like to be a student there," Frank said. "I wouldn't personally choose to go to Kingsville over (California Institute of Technology). However, as a grant-giver and a taxpayer, I'd be more pleased with how Kingsville is using my money."

3afan
09-05-2006, 07:00 AM
these college rankings are silly IMO - but I guess they sell magazines

Buccaneer
09-05-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
these college rankings are silly IMO - but I guess they sell magazines
I know I never miss my issue of Washington Monthly!

big daddy russ
09-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Everyone has different rankings for everything. I know that US News ranked UT much higher than A&M as far as the engineering program goes, but when my dad looks to hire engineers he always looks at A&M first.

As far as journalism goes, the best reporters/on-air personalities I've ever worked with have come out of UT, but they're ranked somewhere around 20th.

It's all arbitrary.