PDA

View Full Version : Gobbla and Aaron? two quick questions... (NF)

SintonFan
09-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Gobbla... what should I use on windy days at the Shrip, Crab Squid. lol that was the name of that pier after all(well not really, it was the Fulton Road Pier, but they had "shrimp, crab squid" in big letters in front) And btw, it was directly across from were we were staying.:D
Aaron, did you trip on the way back to the stadium? I heard someone saying that you might have bumped your knee or something.;)

Gobbla2001
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
There is a Crabby Shrimper there unless they've changed the name... it was Crabby Shrimper the last time I went which was about a year and a half ago?

Which way is the wind blowing?

Gobbla2001
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Actually it doesn't matter which direction it's blowing as to what bait to use... but there in that part of the bay I'd give up on catching reds in that wind, so don't use crab... put either live shrimp or croker on a poppin'-cork and keep the hook about 2 and a half feet below that cork for a chance at the trout...

And pay attention to your moon

Also, forgot to tell you, was reminded when I drove through Rockport Saturday... The peir on the side of the causeway opposite to Rockport/Fulton is really good at night for specks, I've never fished it but I've heard good things and walked down it one night and they were all over the place... the negative thing of course is the height of the peir...

SintonFan
09-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
There is a Crabby Shrimper there unless they've changed the name... it was Crabby Shrimper the last time I went which was about a year and a half ago?

Which way is the wind blowing?
I asked the money dude and he said that pier was the longest along that coast, so I'm sure it's the same one(maybe?). Friday night or Sat. morn from 2:30 to 4:30 am, the specs were hitting hard but all were undersized. That lure worked awesome! I'm not a lure guy but when they were hitting on every cast, I was quickly hooked myself.:D
Saturday I tried the jetties along the Fulton shrimping harbor(next to the same pier) and had a wonderful trout take on a dead shrimp. Had him on for a few seconds while I was adjusting my tension, started to reel 'em in and that sucker came out of the water like a dang fishing video and I lost him in mid-air. lol
Had a good drum on but lost that one too. I think I was using hooks that were too small for that day.
Sunday night, I was pullin in small sand trout quite a bit(while most others weren't) on dead squid. The lure didn't work quite as well then as those that were hitting were anywhere from 6-10 inch spec.
And yes you could see the specs EVERYWHERE, especially under the twin spotlight at the end of the pier on the right.
Total catches for the weekend:
15 or so specs, the largest just under 13".
A few sand trout, largest around 12"
Several hardheads.:mad:
A couple of drum and a bass.
Not bad at all. I didn't keep any of them but they were fun to catch.
If your ever around Mathis I know a pretty good spot under the damn dam that catches pretty good.:D
Thanks for the tip.:clap: :clap: :cool:

Gobbla2001
09-04-2006, 05:50 PM
A bass??? Fulton beach? Not even Jimmy Houston or Bill Dance could pull that off... :thinking:

Maybe they changed the name of that pier I'm not sure, but I'm telling you that white lure has always been a hit for me there... you may not have hit 'em as hard last night because the moon was brighter, meaning they had more natural light out in the bay that night than the night before...

dead shrimp will work on the poppin' cork too, but live never hurts at all and you could maybe get a random red with it, but mostly if they're out in the open during that windy day they're travelling to a calm spot and that's all they'll do...

Gobbla2001
09-04-2006, 06:01 PM
speaking of fishing, my license expired this Thursday... gotta get a new one, boat just got fixed :thumbsup:

(hey, since when did we get new smilies?)

SintonFan
09-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
A bass??? Fulton beach? Not even Jimmy Houston or Bill Dance could pull that off... :thinking:

Maybe they changed the name of that pier I'm not sure, but I'm telling you that white lure has always been a hit for me there... you may not have hit 'em as hard last night because the moon was brighter, meaning they had more natural light out in the bay that night than the night before...

dead shrimp will work on the poppin' cork too, but live never hurts at all and you could maybe get a random red with it, but mostly if they're out in the open during that windy day they're travelling to a calm spot and that's all they'll do...
lol
I'm sure it was a bass. Not at first, but after everone else looked at it we kind of agreed. Maybe it was a big perch?:thinking:
It was still to small to keep.:(
The hightlight Sunday night was the guy down from me reeling in a nice gaftop. I haven't caught one of those in a long time. Bummer. He had alot of fun gettin that landed.:thumbsup:
Ima gonna try some white squid lures next time. That little white fishy lure worked great but I'll keep it cheap.;)