PDA

View Full Version : McCoy Strong In First Start for Texas (article)

Adidas410s
09-04-2006, 01:07 PM
By Tim Griffin, Special to ESPN.com

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas coach Mack Brown couldn't have asked for a better debut from Colt McCoy.

Not only did McCoy become the first Texas freshman quarterback to start and win his debut game since Bobby Layne was prowling the Forty Acres in 1944, but he nipped any potential quarterback controversy with backup Jevan Snead in the bud.

McCoy directed touchdown-scoring drives in six of his seven offensive possessions, finishing with three touchdown tosses and another TD run. It was the kind of victory to build on heading into Saturday's game against No. 1 Ohio State.

http://www.espn.go.com/photo/2006/0903/ncf_colt_195.jpg

Colt McCoy
Brendan Maloney/WireImage.com
Colt McCoy threw for 178 yards and three TDs in his Texas debut.

McCoy said he had been dreaming of playing for the Longhorns since he was a little boy growing up in Tuscola, a small city about 20 miles south of Abilene. But he was still struck by some of the details when asked after the game.

"I'm still trying to think what I did," McCoy said. "It's kind of a blur. I don't remember much about it."

Teammates were impressed with McCoy's quick command in the huddle and the way he handled his first start.

"It was almost like practice for him," Texas running back Selvin Young said. "There was no stutter and he was performing with a lot of confidence. Colt McCoy started his legacy at Texas."

On the third play from scrimmage, McCoy hooked up with Limas Sweed on a 60-yard touchdown, showing quick command to beat a blitzing defense.

And he even broke free on a 27-yard run on a called draw play that ended up as Texas' longest rush of the game. While it wasn't exactly reminiscent of Vince Young, McCoy wasn't complaining.

"I felt comfortable out there," McCoy said. "I made some mistakes and can do some things better. But looking back, I thought it went well. It's a good start."

mrescape43
09-04-2006, 01:34 PM
I hate to say it, but I'm afraid his results this week won't be as
impressive.

Texas-Fight
09-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Hook 'Em Colt will be poised and ready to go come Saturday against the ole Buckeyes!

Butkus
09-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Dont think a colt can lead a longhorn over a buckeye.

NateDawg39
09-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Dont think a colt can lead a longhorn over a buckeye. AHH!!! I went cross-eyed!!:nerd:

Gobbla2001
09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by mrescape43
I hate to say it, but I'm afraid his results this week won't be as
impressive.

maybe not, but I still think he has a good chance...

but yah, his first game is out of the way, but his second is HUGE...

He doesn't need to be great, the defense needs to be great...

With some new faces at LB for the Buckeyes, UT should have a damn good shot at getting their running game going in this game early to maybe open up stuff for the young QB later in the game if they need it...

Texas-Fight
09-04-2006, 02:23 PM
Is Drew Kelson going to be healthy and why isn't Sergio Kindle listed on the depth chart?