PDA

View Full Version : Article - Ingleside vs. Tulos Midway

99IHSMustang
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Mustangs come out of the gates at full speed in debut

By GEORGE VONDRACEK Caller-Times
September 2, 2006

The football teams of Ingleside and Tuloso-Midway high schools stayed relatively true to recent form in Friday night's season-opening ballgame at Warrior Stadium.

The Mustangs are continuing their upward surge - and the Warriors remain a squad in search of themselves.

Ingleside held a struggling T-M offense to four first-quarter yards and made the most of its opportunities en route to a 52-7 victory over the Warriors.

"We were real excited coming into this game," said Ingleside coach Graig Hesseltine, whose Mustangs have gone three and four rounds into the Class 3A playoffs the past two seasons. "We've been executing well in the first two scrimmages. We didn't throw as much tonight, but we didn't have to."

Throw in a couple of big play by Zack Adams - he scored on a 92-yard run and a 99-yard kickoff return to open the second half - and the Mustangs pretty much had their way with a struggling T-M program that hasn't played a postseason game in three decades.

"When you sit back and don't execute, and you're going against a high-powered team and you don't execute, this is going to happen," said T-M coach Rodney Williams, whose young Warriors turned over the ball six times and committed 11 penalties for 90 yards.

The only thing that didn't go Ingleside's way was an injury to starting quarterback Josh Coffield. He exited with an injured foot early in the second quarter. Hesseltine said the injury is either a break or a bad sprain.

But the Mustangs didn't let that stop them. Adams' return boosted the Mustangs' lead to 38-7. Steve Hamilton, Coffield's backup, made it 45-7 following the second of Joel Johnson's two interceptions. Hamilton scored from 3 yards out and added the final Ingleside TD with a 3-yard run on the first play of the fourth quarter that was set up by Jesse Martinez's interception.

"Our success is no doubt in the past how successful we've been the last two seasons," said Hesseltine, in his third season at Ingleside. "We're starting to establish some tradition. We've got more experience and depth on this team than I've had on any other team I've had at Ingleside.

Ingleside established the pattern early with a 17-0 lead thanks to generous field position in the first quarter with the gusty 20-mph wind. The Mustangs needed to travel only 77 yards for touchdown runs by Coffield and Justin Chambers - both were 1-yarders - sandwiched around Matthew Rodriguez's 32-yard field goal.

The Mustangs boosted the lead to 24-0 on its first possession of the second quarter. Rodriguez, subbing for an injured Coffield, scored on a 30-yard run.

T-M finally responded thanks to a 34-yard return of the ensuing kickoff by Joel Lemons with the wind. Four plays later, Warriors quarterback David Alvarez found a streaking and wide-open Lemons for a 46-yard scoring play. That also was the Warriors' initial first down of the game. Michael Hudson's point-after kick brought the Warriors within 24-7.

But despite being pinned deep after a fumble and a holding penalty, Ingleside reponded immediately. Adams found a seam on a slant play to the left and rumbled 92 yards for a TD with 6:36 remaining in the half. Rodriguez's PAT kick restored Ingleside's 24-point edge at 31-7.

The worst field position the Mustangs had in the first half was their 6, and that came after Johnson intercepted a pass, thwarting a T-M drive with 30 seconds to play.

"We're slowly finding ourselves," Williams said. "When you look at the roster we've very young. We have eight seniors on the field. The rest are juniors and sophomores, so we're very young. We're getting there. We just have got to grow up."

The writer made a mistake in saying we have gone three and four rounds in the last two years in the playoffs. That is incorrect. In 04 we lost in the second round to PI. Last year Cuero beat us in the third round.

Fish's mom
09-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Good article tho, Josh will be back HAHAHA As of now they say it's not broken, possible small fracture on a small bone. Final radiologists report will be Tuesday as of now, possible out 1-2 games.
We'll see. It hasn't slowed down him though he's at a concert now with boot cast and crutches. But got two other injuries Izzy sanchez knee and I believe Stuart Hamilton's too. I keep you updated. Need to check on these kids too. Just got back from Houston today. I'll do some checking.

Had several parents call me and said there was some dirty football playing going on. Guess it was best I wasn't there ;)

Josh said he watched the tape of his injury and he just landed wrong, not once but twice. Nobodies fault, just part of football.

Take care

99IHSMustang
09-03-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
Good article tho, Josh will be back HAHAHA As of now they say it's not broken, possible small fracture on a small bone. Final radiologists report will be Tuesday as of now, possible out 1-2 games.
We'll see. It hasn't slowed down him though he's at a concert now with boot cast and crutches. But got two other injuries Izzy sanchez knee and I believe Stuart Hamilton's too. I keep you updated. Need to check on these kids too. Just got back from Houston today. I'll do some checking.

Had several parents call me and said there was some dirty football playing going on. Guess it was best I wasn't there ;)

Josh said he watched the tape of his injury and he just landed wrong, not once but twice. Nobodies fault, just part of football.

Take care

That's good to hear about Josh. Hopefully the other 2 players will be ok as well.