PDA

View Full Version : La Grange v Yoakum

Pudlugger
09-02-2006, 11:49 AM
This should be a good test for the Leps. Playing a team that has been a problem in the past two meetings on Parents Night at home, the Leps will need to step up a notch. Against Lockhart we saw that this team can win on the ground with an impressive performance from the O line and a stable of rough rbs. This from a team that has built its new offense around the pass. I think they threw the ball 4 or 5 times total with 3 receptions, one for a 49 yrd td and another for a 2 point conversion. That's effeciency. We have not seen the whole enchilada yet and Yoakum will have some big choices to make in defensing this team. If they stack the box they can get burned on the deep pass, if they go man to man on the 4 receivers they will give up the running game. This should be good. If the Leps continue playing with as few errors as last night against Yoakum playing their opener in La Grange they will be hard to beat.

LG 28
Yoakum 19

Pudlugger
09-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone want to comment on Yoakum this season? They have been tough in the past for La Grange winning 2 out of 3 since the Leps beat them in round three of the 2000 playoff run for the DII Championship. How good are they now?

Old Green
09-03-2006, 09:15 PM
Yoakum appears to be improved over last years team. They three real good running backs who can get some yardage. Their defense is guick as witnessed in their Scrimmage with Wharton. They got a 7 -0 win over Columbus last week because of their defense. Good luck to both teams.

How's it going Pudlugger? Long time no see:)

Bull's-eye
09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
LaGrange should win this game. I looked at the stats for the Yoakum/Columbus game. Columbus had a huge advantage in yards & first downs, but turnovers appeared to cost them the game.

Pudlugger
09-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
Yoakum appears to be improved over last years team. They three real good running backs who can get some yardage. Their defense is guick as witnessed in their Scrimmage with Wharton. They got a 7 -0 win over Columbus last week because of their defense. Good luck to both teams.

How's it going Pudlugger? Long time no see:)

Going well Old Green. I'm just thankful it's football season again. I'm optimistic about the Leps this year. They have some good leadership among the seniors at key positions on both sides of the ball. Solid kicking game, and special teams play. Coaching is looking good as well, as demonstrated by the team making very few errors in their opening game against a physical 4a Lockhart team. They were giving up yardage up the middle in the first half but made some adjustments at the break and came back shutting down Lockhart's running game in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Texas-Fight
09-04-2006, 11:36 AM
La Grange

bd62
09-04-2006, 12:01 PM
Yoakum has been bit by the injury bug early. Have 5 kids out that they were really depending on.All 5 should be back before district but its is really hurting there depth right now.Columbus would have won the game but make too many mistakes.Yoakum's defense is there strong point. Offense has a long way to go but most of the injuries are Offensive players.
Lagrange and Yoakum have had some good competion in football and baseball and i am glad to see them back on our schedule.Class people over in Lagrange.

LHS PRIDE
09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks bd62 for your comment. The years that I had competition with Yoakum, I can say the same for ya'll. Great class and sportsmanship. I see the comments about Yoakum's varsity, do you have anything about Yoakum's Freshmen Team. I will be thier Thursday. Good Luck to ya'll not only this friday but the rest of the season.

bd62
09-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Yoakum Freshmen are the most talented group we have had in years. The coaches are very excited about this group. They won there first game in Columbus 32-0. Should be a good matchup with Lagrange. I hear Lagrange's dry spell is over and they are getting back to the level of talent they have had in the past.
Our J.V. is competive but we are having to bring kids up to varsity due to injuries on varsity.Small sophmore group numbers wise.

Pudlugger
09-05-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by bd62
Yoakum Freshmen are the most talented group we have had in years. The coaches are very excited about this group. They won there first game in Columbus 32-0. Should be a good matchup with Lagrange. I hear Lagrange's dry spell is over and they are getting back to the level of talent they have had in the past.
Our J.V. is competive but we are having to bring kids up to varsity due to injuries on varsity.Small sophmore group numbers wise.

Good to hear from you bd62. The Leps frosh are talented too. It does appear that the two year dry spell is over in La Grange. Hope the varsity can continue to improve as the schedule gets tougher, especially in District with Giddings, Bellville, Caldwell and Navasota. One thing that struck me a a positive sign is the number of freshman players. Last week they split into A and B teams against Lockhart. The A team won and the B team lost. In 2000 they had to combine the frosh and sophs on jv as they didn't have enough guys. The new coach is a player's coach apparently and more young men are showing up in August to play football. All this bodes well for the Leps over the coming seasons.

hereandnow
09-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Anyone want to comment on Yoakum this season? They have been tough in the past for La Grange winning 2 out of 3 since the Leps beat them in round three of the 2000 playoff run for the DII Championship. How good are they now?

All I can say is that unless Columbus is VASTLY improved from the past three years, then La Grange shouldn't have too much to bite their nails over.

Pudlugger
09-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Anyone going to the Freshman and JV games today? Please report.

Pudlugger
09-07-2006, 08:41 PM
Freshman jv scores? ttt

rhs78
09-08-2006, 05:27 AM
La Grange should win this one easily, Yoakum only scored 1 td against Columbus and was outgained in total yards. Rice hung 37 on Columbus in one half of scrimage two weeks ago. I don't think Columbus has improved that much. Leopards roll.

bd62
09-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Freshmen Game -Yoakum -38- Lagrange-14
Jv Game- Yoakum 22- Lagrange-14

My thoughts on varsity is that Yoakum will compete hard but Lagrange will win. Lagrange is a whole lot better than Columbus and we struggled against them .

Pudlugger
09-08-2006, 10:14 AM
The Bulldog pups must be pretty good to whip up on the Lep cubs like that. Yoakum just grows these kids year after year. LOL