PDA

View Full Version : WOS 26 4A Dayton 9

wos fan1
09-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Final

Hupernikomen
09-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Very impressive win. I would say WO-S is starting to play some of that defense that won them their state championships of years gone by. This just might be the Ponies year.

Paratrooper
09-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Here is the article out of the Orange Leader

Mustangs stymie Dayton

DAYTON —

First-game jitters can be difficult to overcome.

For defending Class 3A state semifinalist West Orange-Stark, it took just one half to get things going. The Mustangs piled on three second-half touchdowns to pull away from the Dayton Broncos 26-9 Friday night in the 2006 season opener at Bronco Stadium.

WO-S (1-0) manufactured 130 yards in the first half, and the Mustangs and Broncos took a 6-6 tie into intermission. However, the Mustangs responded for 222 yards in the second half and played solid defense, holding the Broncos to just 240 yards in the game.

Dayton (0-1) took the focus off of senior blue-chip tailback Michael Dugat (10 rushes-70 yards) by opting for a quarterback option attack by Andrew Thomas, who finished as the Broncos’ leading rusher with 108 yards on 17 carries.

“Our plan was to tackle anyone that rushed the ball for them,” said WO-S coach Dan Hooks. “By wrapping them up on first contact, it prevented the big play. (Dayton’s biggest gainer was only 25 yards). Dugat and their quarterback are both great players, and we did a good job out there on defense.”

The Mustangs found a capable replacement for University of Texas signee Kenneth Beasley with Andre Bevil stepping up the offense, completing 11-of-17 passes for 170 yards and two touchdowns.

“Bevil has been a tremendous runner and makes good decisions,” said Hooks.

On the ground, the combined effort of DePauldrick Garrett (19 rushes-94 yards) and Earl Thomas (14 carries-68 yards) proved too much for the Broncos to contain, especially along the outside perimeter.

Thomas added 3 receptions for 72 yards and a score on the receiving end while Jacoby Franks hauled in 2 passes for 55 yards and a touchdown.

After falling behind in the second half, Dayton was unable to produce on the passing front as Andrew Thomas completed just 4-of-19 for 62 yards and an interception.

As a team, WO-S outgained the Broncos in total yardage, 352-140; rushing yards 182-178; passing yards 170-62 and first downs, 18-14. Neither team lost a fumble, and the only turnover was a Kendrick LeBlanc interception on 4th-and-10 from the WO-S 27 with just over two minutes left in the game.

One key stat that Mustangs coach Dan Hooks can be proud of is the limited amount of penalties called on his team. West Orange-Stark went three quarters without committing an infraction and finished the game with just two penalties totaling 25 yards.

The Mustangs drove 43 yards on their initial possession, but after running 10 plays, the Bronco defense stiffened up and forced a turnover on downs at the Dayton 18.

Each team picked up just one first down on their next first quarter possession, and Dayton drew first blood when it drove 76 yards on nine plays, capped off by a one-yard plunge by Dugat with 10:15 left in the second quarter. The kick attempt by David Howard sailed wide right and the Broncos lead stood at 6-0.

WO-S responded on its next drive with eight more plays before a rollout pass from Bevil to Dominique Rhodes on third-and-6 gave the Mustangs a first down at the Dayton 21. However, Dayton’s defense held on the next four plays and the drive stalled at the 12.

The Mustang defense forced the Broncos to three plays, and the momentum swing went West Orange-Stark’s way when Earl Thomas fielded a 55-yard punt by Howard and returned it 25 yards, but two 15-yard penalties (a personal foul-face mask and dead-ball personal foul hit on Thomas out of bounds) gave the Mustangs the short field at the 19.

Two plays later, Thomas hauled in a Bevil pass up the middle for 15 yards to tie the game at 6-6, but a Bevil extra point kick failed and the game remained tied going into intermission.

With the possibility of knocking off a quality 4A team looming in the air, the Mustangs roared out of the second half and held Dayton to just a field goal on its initial second-half possession after the Broncos moved into the red zone with a first-and-goal from the 9. The 21-yard boot by Howard split the uprights and Dayton took a 9-6 lead with 7:39 to play in the third.

The Mustangs responded by putting together eight plays that stretched 77 yards, taking just less than four minutes off the clock, and set up by a 48-yard fly route down from Bevil to Earl Thomas down the right sideline. Four plays later, Thomas maneuvered off right tackle for a 1-yard plunge, giving the Mustangs a 12-9 edge after the two-point pass attempt failed with 3:42 left in the third period.

West Orange-Stark’s defense forced Dayton to punt the ball back to them on the next drive and WO-S took over at its own 30 with 58 seconds left in the third.

After a 10-yard pickup on the ground by Garrett and a 1-yarder by Thomas, Bevil connected with Jacoby Franks, who was wide open to the right and the Mustangs put six more points on the board on the first play of the fourth quarter. Bevil’s kick was good and the Mustangs extended their lead to 19-9 with 11:50 left to play.

Mustang defensive standouts Raymond Richard, Dustin Locks and Adrian Mims tightened up the ‘Chain-Gang’ up front and forced the Broncos to punt the ball back, and WO-S took the ball back at its own 49 with 10:05 remaining in the fourth.

“Our defense had some excellent stops in the second half tonight,” Hooks said. “Our coaches did a good job. I wasn’t able to be around there that much, but they got them ready to play Dayton and did a great job.”

Hooks had knee surgery last week and has had to limit his coaching duties.

The clock-eating ground game then wore down the Dayton defensive front, using the next nine plays to drive 51 more yards and a 2-yard pitch out to Kendrick LeBlanc put the game away for the Mustangs. Bevil’s second-straight converted kick gave WO-S a 26-9 lead with 4:37 to play, and Dan Hooks’ team escaped the new artificial turf of Bronco Stadium with a quality non-district win.

“I feel dang good about the win,” Hooks said. “I saw them in two scrimmages against two good football teams. They got out there and up 6-0 and made us comeback. It was a war from then on. Finally, things started clicking at the end, and I felt a little better.”

Hooks wasn’t surprised with the outcome, but also stressed the key to surviving the 10-game regular season.

“I knew we had a decent football team,” said Hooks. “We’ll be okay if we can stay away from injuries.”

However, Hooks has suffered an injury he would like to forget and one that kept him from swarming the outside hash marks Friday.

“I’m close enough where I need to be,” said Hooks, who sat in a wheelchair on the track the entire game. “If I want to talk to the coaches or officials, then I can. I don’t know when I’ll be back and walking, but it won’t be next week.”

Another 4A team awaits the Mustangs as cross-town rival Little Cypress-Mauriceville (0-1) pays a visit to Dan R. Hooks Stadium next Friday in a renewal of the “Orange Bowl.”

“We’ve got to get ready,” Hooks said. “I’ve been here a long time and that LC-M-West Orange game is always a battle. It’s a war every time we play them, and I expect it to be this time.”

WO-S-Dayton Stats

WO-S 0 6 6 14 - 26
Dayton 0 6 3 0 - 9

Scoring Summary:
DAY – Michael Dugat 1 run (David Howard kick failed), 2Q, 10:15
WOS – Earl Thomas 15 pass from Andre Bevil (Bevil kick failed), 2Q, 1:32
DAY – Howard 21 field goal, 3Q, 7:39
WOS – Thomas 1 run (pass failed), 3Q, 3:42
WOS – Jacoby Franks 59 pass from Bevil (Bevil kick), 4Q, 11:50
WOS – Kendrick LeBlanc 2 run (Bevil kick), 4Q, 4:37

WOS Dayton
First Downs 18 14
Rushes-Yds. 41-182 27-178
Passing Yds. 170 62
TOTAL YDS 352 240.
Comp-Att-Int 11-17-0 4-18-1
Punts-Avg. 1-26.0 4-50.8
Penalties-Yds. 2-25 6-60
Fumbles-Lost 1-0 2-0

Individual

RUSHING
WO-S, DePauldrick Garrett 19-94; Earl Thomas 14-68; Andre Bevil 6-16; Kendrick LeBlanc 2-4; Dayton, Andrew Thomas 17-108; Michael Dugat 10-70

PASSING
WO-S, Bevil 11-17-0-170-2; Dayton, Thomas 4-18-1-62-0

RECEIVING
WO-S, Thomas 3-72; Jacoby Franks 2-55; Dominque Rhodes 2-29; Ronnie Dennis 2-12; DePauldrick Garrett 2-2; Dayton, Paul Fontenot 2-33; David Howard 2-29

Paratrooper
09-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Very impressive win. I would say WO-S is starting to play some of that defense that won them their state championships of years gone by. This just might be the Ponies year.

Stats look fairly even in this game. Need a little insight on Dayton are these guys loaded this year?

wos fan1
09-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Dayton will be a team to contend with in that 4A District. Their RB Dugat is a Blue Chipper.

Paratrooper
09-02-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Dayton will be a team to contend with in that 4A District. Their RB Dugat is a Blue Chipper.

Seems they went to Thomas a lot more. You figure a blue chipper they would have given him the ball more than 10 times.:confused:

Crimestick
09-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Actually, WO-S outgained Dayton 355 to 240 in yardage. It was even through two and a half quarters, then a blowout. Dayton will likely win 22-4A this year, as they are LOADED at the skill positions on offense and very tough on defense.

Crimestick
09-02-2006, 12:36 AM
Thomas is primarily playing WR. Depauldrick Garrett is our starting RB, and may very well turn out to be our best ever when he graduates in 08.

GS#17
09-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Dayton has a strong team and are picked anywhere from district champs to just finishing out of the playoff picture, depending on which publication you read. They have a very strong RB, Michael Dugat, who finished last year with over 1,500 yards rushing, but the surprise to me was how good the QB was -- he was fast and elusive. Defensively, Dayton's strong, fundamentally sound, and very good against the run.

It was actually a pretty close game until WOS took the lead in the 3rd quarter. Once WOS got the momentum to their sideline, the game was pretty much over. WOS moved the ball pretty well, overall, but squandered two chances inside the red zone in the first half (the opening drive of the game and late in the second quarter). Defensively, WOS looked good in the first half, but dominant after Dayton's first drive in the second half of the game.

Paratrooper
09-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Seems Bevil had a good game. He had BIG SHOES to fill from last year.

Crimestick
09-02-2006, 12:42 AM
He's a very different player, but quite solid. He'll be splitting time back there w/ Franks, who is more of a Beasley-style player. He's a bit banged up to play QB right now, though.

Hindsight2020
09-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Seems they went to Thomas a lot more. You figure a blue chipper they would have given him the ball more than 10 times.:confused:
I also felt the same. Dugat didn't get near as much action as i thought he would.

griff
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Thomas doesn't get the ball as much as you would think because he starts on defense. The coaches are selective when giving him the ball on offense so he'll be fresh through four quarters.

Crimestick
09-02-2006, 08:57 AM
Dugat looked good in the first half, but got next to nothing on most of the second-half carries.

Hupernikomen
09-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Dugat looked good in the first half, but got next to nothing on most of the second-half carries.

Doesn't sound like he got many carries either half with 10 for the game.

Is WO-S still running the spread?

Crimestick
09-02-2006, 10:06 AM
Yes, we're still running the spread. Thomas (Dayton's QB) was actually more impressive running the ball than Dugat. Dugat had some big holes blown open, while Thomas seemed to make his own plays. Dugat was very quick, though.

WOS1
09-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Yes, Hup, we are still in the spread. We are now running it 99% of the time with an occasional power I in very short yardage situations.

Bevil is a different type of QB than Beasley was, but he is very capable. He is a very accurate passer and is a great competitor. He is also a leader. He is definitely not the runner that Beasley was, but makes up for it with his throwing. He's taller at 6'1" and throws well on the roll out or in the pocket.

The difference I see with this team as compared to last years so far is that you can really see coach Thompson's offseasons paying off in these kids. These kids have been under him since they were freshman and are strong and in great shape. Both lines are better than they were last year and, I feel, is more than making up for the loss of Beasley. Dayton is a VERY good team. I think they will win that district.

GS#17
09-02-2006, 10:17 AM
Both teams came out of the spread, last night. As for Dugat, he is a good runner, and they had a few direct snaps to him to try to spring him; however, outside of two very good runs that accounted for the bulk of his yards (he got 45 yards on two carries), he was pretty much shut down.

Hupernikomen
09-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Yes, Hup, we are still in the spread. We are now running it 99% of the time with an occasional power I in very short yardage situations.

Bevil is a different type of QB than Beasley was, but he is very capable. He is a very accurate passer and is a great competitor. He is also a leader. He is definitely not the runner that Beasley was, but makes up for it with his throwing. He's taller at 6'1" and throws well on the roll out or in the pocket.

The difference I see with this team as compared to last years so far is that you can really see coach Thompson's offseasons paying off in these kids. These kids have been under him since they were freshman and are strong and in great shape. Both lines are better than they were last year and, I feel, is more than making up for the loss of Beasley. Dayton is a VERY good team. I think they will win that district.

I can't see Dayton winning the district, but I believe they will make the playoffs.

I think this might finally be Nederland's year to win the outright district championship.

WOS87
09-02-2006, 04:45 PM
I think this might finally be Nederland's year to win the outright district championship.

If they can get past Central... I forgot about the Nederland curse. Nederland went untied and undefeated in district 8 out of 9 seasons from 1953-1961 and had a 40 game unbeaten streak in district games going 38-0-2 from 1952-1961 (they missed out on the title in 1960 going 3-0-2 in district play because Huntsville went 4-0-1). They haven't been able to go undefeated and untied through a district schedule since 1961 but have made the playoffs 15 different times since then as a co-champ or 2nd or 3rd place team.

WOS1
09-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I can't see Dayton winning the district, but I believe they will make the playoffs.

I don't know, I've seen Ned play for the last 27 years. I haven't seen many, if any, as good as that Dayton team.

As someone said in another forum. Nederland is a Mosely injury away from not making the playoffs.

Hupernikomen
09-04-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
I don't know, I've seen Ned play for the last 27 years. I haven't seen many, if any, as good as that Dayton team.

As someone said in another forum. Nederland is a Mosely injury away from not making the playoffs.

Been a few years since I have seen Dayton, but being here close by I know that they have really improved the last few years. Nederland has just been plain solid for several years now. I think they have enough talent this year to sweep the district. Central is the cog in the wheel though. Hard to gauge how they will do. Their turnaround last year was amazing.

WOS1
09-04-2006, 10:26 AM
You maybe right about Nederland. I haven't seen them this year, but they had better be much improved from the last few years and keep Mosely healthy. Central will be a good team and I agree that their turn around was amazing. It's little easier to do when you have the athletes they do.;)

As for Dayton, this team is the best I've seen from them. We've been scrimmaging them for several years and this is, by far, the best team I've ever seen from them.