PDA

View Full Version : Cuero #1

cowboy
09-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Cuero #1, Cuero to make another long run in the playoffs this year with no hardware.

3afan
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
even the post season ranking is not important ---- obviously, the winners of the state title are what counts and that does not always correlate to being #1 in the polls

SWMustang
09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
even the post season ranking is not important ---- obviously, the winners of the state title are what counts and that does not always correlate to being #1 in the polls

when did that not happen in High School Football?

3afan
09-01-2006, 05:01 PM
when did WHAT not happen? the state title winners ending up #1 in the polls?

more than likely, in any credible poll - the state title winners are #1 and #2 but its not "the law". its bound to have happened.

.... if thats whet you are asking

SWMustang
09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
when did WHAT not happen? the state title winners ending up #1 in the polls?

there is no connection to the UIL playoffs and any polls, its not like the BCS where the winner of the title game is automatically #1 in the BCS poll.

Now, more than likely, in any credible poll - the state title winners are #1 and #2 but its not "the law"

.... if thats whet you are asking

Correct, that's what I was asking. Did Wimberley and Tatum end up 1 and 2?

3afan
09-01-2006, 05:03 PM
probably depends on which poll you are looking for ... doubt they were 1/2 in all of them

SWMustang
09-01-2006, 05:19 PM
probably depends on which poll you are looking for ... doubt they were 1/2 in all of them

had to do a little looking. I think it depends if the final poll includes playoffs or not. Ap does not release any more polls after the last week of the regular season. I looked at Jerry's site and Dave Campbell's and they both had Wimberley/Tatum 1/2.

3afan
09-01-2006, 05:44 PM
well my point was (is) that the polls, preseason or postseason, mean squat compared to who are the state champions

MagicMan
09-01-2006, 05:49 PM
thats why the uil should adopt the bcs system. polls need to mean something. either that or the playoffs should be in tournament format where the higher seeded teams play the lower seeded teams.

Emerson1
09-01-2006, 05:54 PM
are you serious? the UIL has a true playoff system - who the heck needs a BCS-like system???

the best team will end up on top - what else matters?

3afan
09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
are you serious? the UIL has a true playoff system - who the heck needs a BCS-like system???

agree 100%

MagicMan
09-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

the best teams dont always win. there are always upsets. the only sports that have true champions are the ones that have playoff series. football always has controversial champions. or "cinderella" teams.

3afan
09-01-2006, 06:04 PM
seeding teams will not prevent upsets ..... and underdogs can win a series - it happens all the time

true, champions are not always the "best team" .................. there is no way to prove what the best team is, but there is a way to determine a champion, and thats what the playoff system does

MagicMan
09-01-2006, 06:21 PM
i know seeding teams wont prevent upsets but it will prevent top tier teams from playing each other in the first or second round of the playoffs.

KingRob
09-01-2006, 06:50 PM

Maybe not, but what a way to start the season. If the polls aren't so important to the folks on the 3ADL, then why couldn't we wait for them to come out?

GO CUERO!!

3afan
09-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
........ If the polls aren't so important to the folks on the 3ADL, then why couldn't we wait for them to come out?

I never said that

go Cove!

Emerson1
09-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
i know seeding teams wont prevent upsets but it will prevent top tier teams from playing each other in the first or second round of the playoffs.
No it won't, playoffs arn't based of seeds.

KingRob
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
I never said that

go Cove!

I know, but it just seems like you belittle the polls because your team isn't on any of them.

3afan
09-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
I know, but it just seems like you belittle the polls because your team isn't on any of them.

belittle? OK ...

by the way "my team" is no worse that #3 in the 4A state polls so my team is pretty well represented ...