PDA

View Full Version : anyone watchin outside the lines right now?

Highschoolfan78
09-01-2006, 02:54 PM
NCAA shortening college games? The clock is startin when the ball is kicked instead of caught.The clock starts again for incomplete passes when the ref places it or even out of bounds... Has this been brought up before? This is just ludicris!!!

AggieJohn
09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
trying to change games from being 5 hours long

Adidas410s
09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
What is ludacris about these rule changes??? :thinking:

Blastoderm55
09-01-2006, 03:11 PM
Apparently the NCAA is switching over from Ridiculous speed to...

LUDICROUS SPEED!

sww-bull52
09-01-2006, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Apparently the NCAA is switching over from Ridiculous speed to...

LUDICROUS SPEED!

SPACE BALLS!!!:eek:

garageoffice
09-01-2006, 03:17 PM
So...if I score to go ahead with just a few seconds left, I can squib kick the ball out of bounds and potentially run out the clock? That's just plain stupid!

VAMike
09-03-2006, 05:56 AM
The rule changes are already affecting the game and it is just week one. The college conference I ref in had a game Thursday night that lasted 2 hours 15 minutes (and we play 15 minute quarters!!!) I can't recall the last HS game I had that was that short.

In the SC - Miss State game, Spurrier had to "waste" several timeouts as guys were not used to clocks starting so quickly.

Comebacks are going to be much much harder.

If they were serious about game length, they would do somethig about all the commercials. The ONLY games that have run excessively long over the years were televised games. Go figure.

Haunta Yo
09-03-2006, 07:03 AM
"The game clock now starts on a change of possession at the same time the play clock does, instead of starting when the ball is snapped. Supposedly this will save 5 minutes per game." (game clocks will still stop on incomplete passes unless there is a change of possession)

That's why UIL is playing by 2005 NCAA rules this year...
Ever notice that passing teams are commonly the ones with 500+ yards of offense and outrageous scoring? It's because the clock stops on incomplete passes. Watch what happens to total yards/scoring if a rule gets placed in effect to keep the clock running after incomplete passes.

Not too bad right now because it's only on change of possessions (1st play of drives) but if they ever do start the clock on incomplete passes once the ball is ready for play it'll change the game drastically...not just the game length.

VAMike
09-03-2006, 07:51 AM
That is not why the UIL is using 2005 NCAA rules. It is much more complicated than that. But, regardless, even if UIL gets back on board by next season and goes with 2007 rules, look for UIL exceptions on the timing changes. Nobody (UIL, coaches, or refs) want them.

Phil C
09-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Well sometimes you need to try changes that may improve the game but if they don't work out you change them back.

One thing you have to remember is that if games go into overtime those can be long games.

VAMike
09-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Yes if the changes can improve the game they should be tried but nobody (outside TV) thinks these changes will improve the game. The worst part of this is that it appears the actual Rules Committee is now being driven by NCAA HQ administrators rather than the coaches who are on the committee.

PPHSfan
09-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
So...if I score to go ahead with just a few seconds left, I can squib kick the ball out of bounds and potentially run out the clock? That's just plain stupid!

No, kicking the ball out of bounds is a penalty.:D

Emerson1
09-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
The clock starts again for incomplete passes when the ref places it or even out of bounds.
I don't think that is one of the new rules.

The only time is now starts that it didn't before is after a change of possesion when the ref spots the ball and when the ball is kicked on kickoffs.

VAMike
09-03-2006, 08:40 AM
Correct They have not gone so far (yet) to start the clock even after an incomplete pass (unless it was 4th down and now the other team is starting their possessiuon).