PDA

View Full Version : Final Top Ten?

Bellville22
12-22-2003, 06:21 PM
Alright, just for the heck of it, who makes up everyone's final top ten. Strictly opinion, let's try not to start any arguments. Here's mine...

* = teams I've personally seen play...

1. Atlanta*
2. Gainesville*
3. Burnet*
4. Marlin*
5. Bellville*
6. Forney
7. Jasper*
8. Vernon
9. Gilmer
10.Abilene Wylie

Now let's here some others...

20dawgz05
12-22-2003, 06:31 PM
this is what dpoll.com says:
1) Gainesville
2) Burnet
3) Atlanta
4) Forney
5) Bellville
6) Gilmer
7) Marlin
8) Jasper
9) Waco Connally
10) Vernon

<small>[ December 22, 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: 20dawgz05 ]</small>

TakeMeHigher
12-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Rice Cons. makes it to the final 8 and does not make the final top 10. HHHHHMMMMMMMMM

Bellville22
12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
TakeMeHigher:
Rice Cons. makes it to the final 8 and does not make the final top 10. HHHHHMMMMMMMMMActually they made it to the final 12, when you consider Div. I. I would have probably had them between 10 and 15. Port Isabel didn't make my top 10 either.

jason
12-22-2003, 07:06 PM
20dawgz05:
1) Gainesville
2) Burnet
3) Atlanta
4) Forney
5) Bellville
6) Gilmer
7) Marlin
8) Jasper
9) Waco Connally
10) Vernonthat one looks good....maybe forney should be ahead of burnet seein as how the fhs v ghs game was a lot closer... :D :D :D

VERNONLION#1
12-22-2003, 07:15 PM
HEY BELLVILLE22, IT'S GOOD TO SEE THAT VERNON GETS THE RECOGNITION THAT THEY DESERVE. I THINK DECATUR PROBABLY SHOULD BE IN THERE SOMEWHERE?

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-22-2003, 07:15 PM
Here is mine:

1. Atlanta
2. Gainesville
3. Burnet
4. Vernon
5. Abilene Wylie
6. Jasper
7. Marlin
8. Port Isabel
9. Forney
10. Rice Cons

3afan2K3
12-22-2003, 07:30 PM
My Final top 5
-----
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Marlin
5. Jasper

<small>[ December 22, 2003, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

Pudlugger
12-22-2003, 07:38 PM
1.Gainesville
2.Atlanta
3.Burnet
4.Forney
5.Bellville
6.Gilmer
7.Jasper
8.Vernon
9.Marlin
10.Port Isabel
:)

marktaras
12-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Atlanta had too many losses to be #2 on any poll. Forney was beaten too early in the playoffs to be ranked above Burnet.

3afan2K3
12-22-2003, 09:26 PM
marktaras:
Atlanta had too many losses to be #2 on any poll. Forney was beaten too early in the playoffs to be ranked above Burnet.They would of made it farther but they played the best team in the state early and only lost by 3, and you just can't go by the record. They could of had a rough start and gotten better

<small>[ December 22, 2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: 3afan2K3 ]</small>

20dawgz05
12-22-2003, 10:04 PM
jason:

20dawgz05:
1) Gainesville
2) Burnet
3) Atlanta
4) Forney
5) Bellville
6) Gilmer
7) Marlin
8) Jasper
9) Waco Connally
10) Vernonthat one looks good....maybe forney should be ahead of burnet seein as how the fhs v ghs game was a lot closer... :D :D :D true but we are alot cooler then yall soooooo!!!...hahah how bout we tie it!!

jason
12-22-2003, 10:08 PM
marktaras:
Atlanta had too many losses to be #2 on any poll. Forney was beaten too early in the playoffs to be ranked above Burnet.look at marlin, they're in most top 5's and they had what 5 losses? and forney lost to the state champs, they got beat by the best team, at least they played g'ville closer than burnet did...

3afan2K3
12-22-2003, 10:12 PM
jason:

marktaras:
Atlanta had too many losses to be #2 on any poll. Forney was beaten too early in the playoffs to be ranked above Burnet.look at marlin, they're in most top 5's and they had what 5 losses? and forney lost to the state champs, they got beat by the best team, at least they played g'ville closer than burnet did...I know Forney had 2 or 3 turnovers and still only lost by 3

Old Cardinal
12-22-2003, 10:23 PM
I see it--
#1 Gainesville #2 Burnet #3 Jasper #4 Atlanta #5 Waco Connally #6 Manor #7 Forney #8 Marlin #9 Abilene Wylie #10 Vernon

Chris Hart
12-22-2003, 10:27 PM
1) Gainesville
1) Atlanta
Those are the only two that matter.

Self proclaimed #2 and proud of it,
2)Forney

(upset that they didn't grab one of the coveted top 3 spots) :rolleyes:
Marlin
Bellville
Vernon
Decatur
Burnet
Rice
Port Isabel
Jasper
Abilene Wylie
Gilmer
:)

<small>[ December 22, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

3afan2K3
12-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Buccaneer:

3afan2K3:
My Final top 10
-----
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Marlin
5. JasperWhat kind of Math are they teaching in Forney where your top ten has only 5 teams ?woops

Buccaneer
12-23-2003, 12:30 AM
3afan2K3:
My Final top 10
-----
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Marlin
5. JasperWhat kind of Math are they teaching in Forney where your top ten has only 5 teams ?

Buccaneer
12-23-2003, 12:47 AM
3afan2K3:

Buccaneer:

3afan2K3:
My Final top 10
-----
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
2. Forney
3. Burnet
4. Marlin
5. JasperWhat kind of Math are they teaching in Forney where your top ten has only 5 teams ?woopsMy mistake you had six!

Bellville22
12-23-2003, 10:40 AM
marktaras:
Atlanta had too many losses to be #2 on any poll. Forney was beaten too early in the playoffs to be ranked above Burnet.I think all of Atlanta's losses were early and to 4A teams, is that right? And DID YOU SEE ATLANTA PLAY?!?!?! WOW!!! I don't care what they were early, or how many losses... at the end of the year, they were clearly the best team in the state, IMHO!

And yea, you can't punish a team for getting a bad draw in the playoffs. If Gainesville and Burnet happened to meet up in the first round, one would lose, but both would be Top 5.

Bellville22
12-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Here is mine:

1. Atlanta
2. Gainesville
3. Burnet
4. Vernon
5. Abilene Wylie
6. Jasper
7. Marlin
8. Port Isabel
9. Forney
10. Rice ConsNo love for Bellville at all, ouch wink . Even though they had fewer losses than Rice, and beat rice, lost to Marlin by 2, while PI lost to Marlin by 35? Haha, I'm just messin' with you, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Maybe I should reconsider! I guess thats why the Harris Ratings don't call me. Yours (Bellville 22) is probably most acurate because you have seen so many of these teams play. But My Vernon boys should be higher than 10th. They hung with Atlanta until the last couple of minutes. Atlanta scored with 1 min left to go up to 32 points. So Vernon above Marlin and Gilmer for sure.

Phil C
12-23-2003, 11:15 AM
This seems to add credibility to the fact that polls are useless even before and after the season except for No. 1 maybe and even then when you have two divisions there are rightfully disputes. Thank goodness for things being settled on the football field even though with two divisions it is somewhat unsettled. Oh well.

GETBACKCOACH
12-23-2003, 12:43 PM
The best way to predict without playing is common opponents.

Pilot Point== Atlanta 19 - 0
Gainesville 42 - 0 (could have been 65+)

I did not get to see Atlanta vs Marlin but I did against Vernon. Gainesville on that night was better than Atlanta. Atlanta may have beaten Gainesville on the nite they played Marlin but Gainesville would have beaten Atlanta the nite they played Burnett.

I had a comparison on Vernon with Iowa Park. Vernon escaped Iowa Park in district. Gainesville scored 4 times vs IP in a 10 minute period early in a scrimmage. Gainesville would have beaten IP by 40 if played in real game.

Both teams had tremendous speed. Atlanta won the sprint relay last year in the State track meet but, what most don't know it Gainesville had the fastest time in the state (3A) in the relay but dropped the stick at district meet.

Gainesville would have beaten Atlanta last year in the playoffs with a better selection of play calling. They were just 13 yards away from doing it last year anyway. Gainesville was 4 touchdowns better this year than last year.

So in my honest opinion, Gainesville wins by one with a 49 yard FG from one of the best kickers in the state on the last play of the game. (21-20)

Bestdamsportsshowperiod
12-23-2003, 07:45 PM
takemehigher, Rice had such an easy road in the playoffs what are you crying about. They were even favored by 10 over #22 ranked Port Isabel and still got beat. you have no beef dude. If Rice makes a top 10 poll anywheres this is good. It is amazing all the crybaby Rice fans out there.

Pudlugger
12-23-2003, 08:32 PM
Bestdamsportsshowperiod:
takemehigher, Rice had such an easy road in the playoffs what are you crying about. They were even favored by 10 over #22 ranked Port Isabel and still got beat. you have no beef dude. If Rice makes a top 10 poll anywheres this is good. It is amazing all the crybaby Rice fans out there.Yes! What is the beef? Rice lost to two teams not in the top 10 so how do you figure they are higher than 10?

Owen B
12-23-2003, 09:20 PM
For what it's worth, here's Collier-Sharp's final top ten.

1. ATLANTA (12-4)
2. GAINESVILLE (16-0)
3. Gilmer (13-1)
4. Burnet (14-1)
5. Bellville (13-1)
6. Forney (11-2)
7. Marlin (11-5)
8. Tatum (8-5)
9. Jasper (11-3)
10. Daingerfield (9-2)

Here's the link:
http://www.collier-sharp.com/cs033.html

<small>[ December 23, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Owen B ]</small>

marktaras
12-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Collier-Sharp's is nothing but another worthless list. Who are they? How many games did they attend? It's the law of the land and all of us know it, the undefeated state champion is ranked higher than any 4-loss team regardless of where they finish. Gainesville should be ranked #1 on every list in existence.

<small>[ December 24, 2003, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: marktaras ]</small>

Owen B
12-24-2003, 01:06 PM
You're certainly entitled to your own opinion, but it's a bit presumptuous to think you can say what other people's opinions "should" be.

"It's the law of the land and all of us know it, the undefeated state champion is ranked higher than any 4-loss team regardless of where they finish."

The law of the land? All of us know it? Hardly. I don't have any idea whether Atlanta or Gainesville was the better team, or if they were essentially equals, but Atlanta's record doesn't figure into it, as far as I can see. Their losses were early in the season to good 4A teams, by a total of 18 points, 12 of which were against Texarkana Texas High, the 4A D1 champion last year and a 4A semifinalist this year. They were undefeated against 3A teams, just like Gainesville was.

Leopards,class of 75
12-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Well said get back coach! Gainesville had no trouble beating Pilot Point 42-0 and it could have been much worse. Last year the Leopards should have beat Atlanta, but the coach lost it for them last year by not using Purvey in the game.(other than the opening kick-off which Purvey scored on) I think that I would have to choose Burnet and Forney right behind Gainesville, followed by Atlanta.

BurnetBandRules
12-24-2003, 02:25 PM
I agree with you 100%! If you have a 15-0 record, and no one else does, then you are obviously the state champ. It doesn't matter how many teams you shut out or how little of points you gave up to an opposing team! You know, some people say that you eventually loose a game, it is just the matter of which one (state game or merely the first play-off game). I wish people would stop saying stuff like "well, collier-sharp has...." and "Texashsfootball has them such and such!" It is a few peoples opinions. It is just like rankings and the allstate teams, they are all opinionated. Yes, I feel Atlanta is an awesome tem considering they shut out Marlin whom everyone predicted to win but I think that a final top ten poll should be based on how many games you won. I mean, a state championship game is just another game and whether you win it or not, if you are undefeated up untill then, well, you are definately top ten team. if you win, well, you get a nice ring that says so, if you loose, what a loss, but hey, how many teams would like to have been where you were? We all can put in our final two cents on who WE think are the top ten, but you can only consider ranking the 9 underneath the obviously deserving #1, gainseville. 15-0, what I would love to have that by my teams name, but we lost the wrong one, once again!

Bellville22
12-24-2003, 02:45 PM
Owen B said it best, Atlanta was undefeated against 3A teams, just like Gainesville. We can't punish Atl. for playing good 4A teams in pre-district. When it counted, they were dominant.

It is certainly not the law of the land that G'ville should be ranked higher than Atlanta. And I too would appreciate it if 'marktaras' would not tell us what we "should" think.

I saw both of these teams, and in my opinion, Atlanta is 10 points better than G'ville.

marktaras
12-24-2003, 07:28 PM
My apologies for the presumption guys. However, 4 losses are still losses. The games were scheduled, the games were played and the results are a matter of history. It shouldn't matter if they were 4A or 3A, after all, Burnet killed three 4A teams in pre-district and in their fifth game they killed Marlin. If you're gonna rationalize, shouldn't those games enhance Burnet's ranking? This , of course, is just for discussion, but really, Gainesville should be ranked #1. JMO (my disclaimer).

BurnetBandRules
12-24-2003, 08:42 PM
Marktaras: That is my point exactly, but I just didn't have enough gut to say it considering there are some many people on the board that have a thing against Burnet. You know, the outcome could have gone so many different ways. I.e.: Burnet to win state and people would still most likely be considering the champ. of division II to be so much better than div. I champ. It is all how one person feels when it comes to who is better and who deserves what. Gainseville defeated burnet, not by much, but they still won so they are the div. I state champ. We beat Marlin, a div. II rep., and they lost, so Atlanta is the state div. II champ. End of story.

Owen B
12-24-2003, 09:58 PM
marktaras,

My point was that there is no "should," except that a person's ranking of teams should express that person's opinion of the relative strengths of those teams at a given time. If someone thinks that Gainesville would likely have beaten Atlanta had they played each other at the end, then that person should rank Gainesville higher than Atlanta. If someone else thinks that Atlanta would likely have beaten Gainesville if they played each other at the end, then that person should rank Atlanta higher than Gainesville.

Similarly, there is no "deserving" a #1 ranking, as someone else indicated. No team "deserves" someone's opinion that they're the best. People decide their opinions themselves, based on whatever criteria they deem important. Rankings are opinions. State championships are facts. Both Gainesville and Atlanta deserve those, should have them, and do have them.

afflac65
12-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Hey atlanta shows what is wrong with high school football this year in their 3 losses this year they held out their top 2 players because they didnt want them to get hurt due to these games dont really mean much. Gainseville should be in 5A classification with all the students they have at around 1875 enrollement.

KTJ
12-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Gainesville doesn't have 1875 students and is no where close to being a 5A school.

afflac65:
Hey atlanta shows what is wrong with high school football this year in their 3 losses this year they held out their top 2 players because they didnt want them to get hurt due to these games dont really mean much. Gainseville should be in 5A classification with all the students they have at around 1875 enrollement.

Leopards,class of 75
12-25-2003, 12:19 AM
I think someone told me that Gainesville has a little over 800 students.(far from 1800)

Keith7
12-25-2003, 02:58 AM
afflac65:
Hey atlanta shows what is wrong with high school football this year in their 3 losses this year they held out their top 2 players because they didnt want them to get hurt due to these games dont really mean much. Gainseville should be in 5A classification with all the students they have at around 1875 enrollement.This guy is an idiot

poncho
12-25-2003, 10:34 AM
Keith7:

afflac65:
Hey atlanta shows what is wrong with high school football this year in their 3 losses this year they held out their top 2 players because they didnt want them to get hurt due to these games dont really mean much. Gainseville should be in 5A classification with all the students they have at around 1875 enrollement.This guy is an idiotHey Keith7 Gainesville is #1 in my book. Don't let all this bull bother you. Gainesville won the D1 championship and the fact that D2 fans wont to say they should be ranked #1 overall should make you folks from Gainesville feel good. 15--0 againt tuff competition and the #1 ranked team in the state would make anybody proud. Thus for you guys have represented the state well. :cool:

<small>[ December 25, 2003, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

oneheartbeat
12-25-2003, 03:41 PM
the number one team always in my heart the Sweetwater Mustangs my boys forever

Bellville22
12-25-2003, 04:31 PM
afflac65:
Hey atlanta shows what is wrong with high school football this year in their 3 losses this year they held out their top 2 players because they didnt want them to get hurt due to these games dont really mean much. Gainseville should be in 5A classification with all the students they have at around 1875 enrollement.WOW!!! By far the funniest thing I've read in a while!

Old Cardinal
12-25-2003, 10:14 PM
I look back over this whole group of Poll amateurs and you are probably as accurate jointly as the self-proclaimed experts. I think each person sees it a little different for a multitude of reasons. The early Professional polls do not predict the final eight in Division I or II very well. There track record are no better than the picks of the knowledgeable followers of football on 3A down low.

<small>[ December 25, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Wbulldogs
12-26-2003, 11:40 PM
where is wylie at in all of this???

footballgal
01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Bellville22:
[QUOTE]Port Isabel didn't make my top 10 either.One of only two Region IV champs and not be in a top ten? They were one of the last eight teams standing.

Bellville22
01-08-2004, 05:06 PM
footballgal:

Bellville22:
[QUOTE]Port Isabel didn't make my top 10 either.One of only two Region IV champs and not be in a top ten? They were one of the last eight teams standing.They were one of the last eight in Div. II, they were only one of the last 12 in the state. And one of the last 8 standing doesn't make them a Top 10, if two Top 10 teams meet early, then one of them will not be one of the final 8.

RAIDER96
01-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Bestdamsportsshowperiod:
takemehigher, Rice had such an easy road in the playoffs what are you crying about. They were even favored by 10 over #22 ranked Port Isabel and still got beat. you have no beef dude. If Rice makes a top 10 poll anywheres this is good. It is amazing all the crybaby Rice fans out there.Theres one in every crowd.

Bandera YaYa
01-08-2004, 06:15 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....I just love listening to all you guys fight over who's #1 and so on......
you just get soooooooooo involved in it......I hope you are as passionate in other areas of your lives!! :D

...carry on.............. :D

<small>[ January 08, 2004, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Bandera YaYa ]</small>

next generation
01-08-2004, 06:28 PM
nm screw up

<small>[ January 08, 2004, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: next generation ]</small>

next generation
01-08-2004, 06:29 PM
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
3. Burnet
4. Marlin
5. Jasper
6. Forney
7. Rice Cons.
8. Gilmer
9. Port Isabel
10. Bellville

MonkeyJoe
01-08-2004, 10:46 PM
1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
3. Burnet
3. Forney
4. Gilmer
4. Bellville
7. Marlin
8. Jasper
9. Vernon
10. Abilene Wylie

The top 2 are they way they are because they won the title games. And im just putting Gainesville at number one because they are D1, and in my opinion could beat Atlanta in a real game. Burnet and Forney are a toss up both made critical mistakes late in the game that cost them against Gainesville. If burnet and forney were to play in a real game, i think the edge would have to go to Forney, again, just my opinion. Gilmer and Bellville are a toss up, both outstanding teams, i picked them early in the season to end up in the D2 title game but both just fell a little bit short. I know your thinking how can Bellville be ranked higher then Marlin even tho Marlin beat them 19-17 in the Quarterfinals, but again i think that Marlin is overrated, and im sure that alot would agree with me. Vernon WOW, amazing year they had they beat Decatur, Sweetwater, and Kenndale before falling to the eventual champs in the Semi-Finals. And last but not least the number 10 spot goes to Abilene Wylie they played like champions against gainesville and never gave up ...showed a lot of pride and heart all season.
And yeah well thats my final Top 10..man that wasnt as tough as i expected it to be.

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-09-2004, 11:21 AM
MonkeyJoe
[QB]1. Gainesville
2. Atlanta
3. Burnet
3. Forney
4. Gilmer
4. Bellville
7. Marlin
8. Jasper
9. Vernon
10. Abilene Wylie

QB]Not a bad top 10. I would rank Vernon higher than 9th as Vernon played Atlanta closer than any other team in the playoffs. With that being said and how Vernon's defense handeled Dane at Decatur, Vernon should be ahead of both Marlin and Gilmer. Considering the strength of Gilmer's passing game. Vernon was overrated all year. With as many players as they are returning, I don't think they will be so lucky next year.