PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel vs Edcouch-Elsa

footballgal
08-31-2006, 11:06 PM
PI will have it's first big test against EE Yellowjacktes in the Black Hole. EE is currently ranked in the AP Poll @ number 17th in class 4A.

Read the following Sub-Varsity scores from Thursday night...

Fish--- E-E 19 PI 12
JV--- PI 6 E-E 0

What's so sad is that, I mostly likely will not be attending this game, even though it's less than 30 min from my house.... I haven't missed a game in years, much less a season opener. :crying: :(

footballgal
09-01-2006, 09:25 AM
Port Isabel at Edcouch-Elsa

This is a clash between two of the most successful and storied programs in the Valley.

The Yellowjackets are currently riding a 26-game regular season winning streak, which is in sight of the 29-game Valley-record streak held by Port Isabel.

The Yellowjackets are led by the most versatile quarterback in the Valley in George Rubio (1,628 yards, 25 TDs passing; 962 yards, 10 TDs rushing).

Tarpon faithful remember that a come-from-behind win against the Yellowjackets in 1994 started PI en route to its second semifinal appearance.

And while this Tarpon team isn't as loaded as that squad, there's no doubt they will still be a handful.

Lyford and Hidalgo will also get the season under way tonight. The Bulldogs will travel to Hebbronville and the Pirates will be in Mercedes against the Tigers.

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/articles/2006/09/01/sports/sports4.txt

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Don't feel too bad, I didn't see a single game last year. Living in the DFW has it's disadvantages.

But now I'm a lot closer to home (Houston) so I should be able to catch a couple of games this season. Maybe even a playoff game or two if the games are anywhere from Corpus and north of there.

Regarding tonight's game, I'll be thrilled if these young Tarpons keep it somewhat close. If they can keep it to within 2 TDs I'll be happy. I'll be even MORE happy if PI comes out of Edcouch with a win, but considering Edcouch Elsa is the 4A powerhouse of the RGV (I don't call them South Texas 4A powerhouse since they still can't beat Calallen) it would be tough to beat them in their house. If PI keeps it to within something like 35-20 then we know we've got something good coming later in the season.

footballgal
09-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Kenny I agree with all you said about keeping it close, because they are the BUZZ around the valley right now, with the exception of McAllen's Stephens who's going to A& M next year. Hey did you see the Tarpon History that was posted last week? It made mention of your brother Donnie.

BTW, I just jumped through hoops to make it to the game! :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I read the article, but my brother Donny wasn't on the 81 team, he was on the 78 team so The Monitor made a mistake on that one.

My brother Robert was on the 1980 team that lost to Van Vleck in the Quarterfinals, but not the 81 team.

The 1981 team was all about Donald Guillot.

Another bit of info they got wrong was the 1993 game vs. Cuero. It said 68-7 in the article, the score was actually 63-8. Regardless, it's still a blowout loss for us, which totally pissed us off everytime it was mentioned to us (even more when Dave Brown brought it up every chance he got)

footballgal
09-01-2006, 02:39 PM
I was wondering about that! I thought maybe it was when he was a freshman then later it was when he was a Senior, maybe if I had done the math I would have figured it out huh? :D So who went to Rice and who played with the Houston Gamblers?

In ref to Donald Guillot someone had mentioned that Hwy 107 was at one time considered to be name after him, when he broke some kind of record, is that so?? That's just crazyness. :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Donny went to Rice University from Fall 79 to Spring 83. Then after that, played for the Houston Gamblers of the old USFL. 2 notable players from that team were Webster Slaughter (who became a WR for the Cleveland Browns) and Jim Kelly (who is now a Hall of Fame QB who played for the Buffalo Bills).

Now that I'm living in Houston, I'm going to try like heck to find a place that could make a replica Houston Gamblers jersey. I'll have Donny's old number on it (#63) and put "Martin" on the back.

footballgal
09-01-2006, 02:46 PM
I knew Kelly came from the USFL but I thought he was a SA Gunslinger like Juan Castillo of the Philidelphia Eagles.

That would be cool, if you could get that, are the colors the same as the Texans??

99IHSMustang
09-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Good luck tonight PI!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-01-2006, 02:50 PM
If I remember correctly, the Houston Gamblers were mostly black and gray, with some red in it.

Home jerseys were black with gray pants

Away jerseys were white with black pants.

Numbers and letters on the jersey had red bordering.

footballgal
09-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
Good luck tonight PI!

Thanks 99IHSMustang, Best Wishes to your Mustangs as well, btw who are you'll playing?

99IHSMustang
09-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Thanks 99IHSMustang, Best Wishes to your Mustangs as well, btw who are you'll playing?

We play 4A Tuloso-Midway.