PDA

View Full Version : Panthers primed for season opener

99IHSMustang
08-31-2006, 02:31 PM
The Aransas Pass Progress (http://aransaspassprogress.com/articles/2006/08/31/sports/sports1.txt)

Panthers primed for season opener

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 4:00 PM CDT

AP ready to kick off season after two scrimmages

By KURT MOGONYE, Progress Editor

It's the moment Aransas Pass Panther fans and players have been waiting for since the close of the 2005 season last fall.

The season opener.

And to make things even better for fans - they won't have to travel this Friday night when the San Diego Vaqueros come to town.

Head Coach P.J. “Bootsie” Larsen and his team are anxious to step onto the field for the first time in 2006 for their opening contest after holding two scrimmages to prepare for this week's game. But the emotions and excitement for playing under the Friday night lights will be unbottled come 7:30 p.m.

“The first game is always a very emotional time,” said Larsen. “You don't want to get up too early to play, instead you want to peak when the whistle blows.”

And peak performance is something Larsen and his squad knows will be needed as both teams look to mark a victory in their first game. How will the Panthers fare this Friday?

“All we know (about San Diego) is from their two scrimmages against Ingleside and Hebronville,” says Larsen. “They were pretty mashed up with Hebronville and Ingleside handled them well.”

Larsen expects a repeat from last year when the Panthers opened play against the Vaqueros, taking a narrow 28-26 victory. “They have a new system and a new coach this year. We're looking at a tough and very physical game. They have a big team with some size but don't have much speed.”

During last year's match up against the Vaqueros, Larsen recalls some of the blunders his team made. “We made some mistakes last year and fumbled the ball giving them a short field. We've got to protect the ball and control the game offensively. Defensively we've got to be a sound team and not allow the big plays.

Larsen refers to his team's recent scrimmage against the Banquete Bulldogs, and correcting mistakes made in ball control. Another area the head coach says still needs work is the team's kicking game. “We've worked hard on improving that aspect of our game I hope it shows Friday night,” he said.

The Panthers put a leash on the Banquete Bulldogs' defense when they scored four times in the two teams' scrimmage last Friday night. “Those that saw our scrimmage last week saw that we're throwing the ball more. We've got kids that can throw and kids that can catch, and by no means will we be abandoning our running game.”

The Bulldogs only managed to score one touchdown, while running back Green Hill found the end zone three times, and wide receiver Nick Foreman caught a 15-yard pass to pick up that last score near the end of the practice game.

“The kids worked hard and played the best they could,” Larsen said of the scrimmage. “I am pleased with where we are. Our intensity is higher and we have gotten better.”

This week, though, the team has been told not to unleash the excitement until Friday night's opener. “We've prepared for that and had them not think about it too much this week. As the week goes by, you pick up your emotions in practice. You don't want to peak on Monday ... just go out and practice for what you're going to do in your game.”

As with his players, Larsen hopes to put a mark in the win column. “I think it will start our season off well if you win in front of friends and family on the first game. The team has to do extremely well, and if they do well, we'll win.”

On Thursday, Larsen plans to hold a “kick the field” practice and review two-minute drills to help his team get their legs back in a more mental practice session.

“The first ball game of the season doesn't mean a thing because it's up for grabs for every football team,” Larsen said. “Come Saturday morning, 50 percent of the teams across Texas will be happy and the other half unhappy.”

Larsen and the Panthers hope they're in the half that claims a victory.

AP Panther Fan
08-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Well alrighty....just went and picked up my season tickets (finally).

99...Did you actually get the newspaper (Ingleside or AP)? It has the Fall Sports Guide in it and highlights both Ingleside and AP. Other than a few mistakes (like putting Inglesides line-up for both Ingleside and AP) it has some good info. Player profiles etc...

99IHSMustang
08-31-2006, 02:51 PM
No I didn't AP Panther Fan... Sounds like it would have been nice to get though. I am looking forward to see how both AP and Ingleside do tomorrow.

AP Panther Fan
08-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
No I didn't AP Panther Fan... Sounds like it would have been nice to get though. I am looking forward to see how both AP and Ingleside do tomorrow.

Ditto :D

piratebg
08-31-2006, 03:13 PM
May the Force be with both of your teams tomorrow. Good luck and God bless. :thumbsup: