PDA

View Full Version : George Strait recieves the ultimate honor!

Bull Butter
08-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Strait to join Country Music Hall of Fame

Web Posted: 08/30/2006 01:36 PM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Country music superstar George Strait will be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame during the 40th annual Country Music Association Awards on Nov. 6 in Nashville.

The San Antonio resident is only the second artist who achieved fame since 1975 to be inducted.

Two other inductees also were announced on Wednesday — 1960s and '70s hit singer Sonny James and studio session guitarist Harold Bradley.

Born in Poteet and reared in Pearsall, Strait, 54, landed the first of a record-setting 52 No. 1 singles with "Fool Hearted Memory" in 1982.

He has sold more than 62 million albums.

Strait will release his 34th MCA Nashville album, "It Just Comes Natural," on Oct. 3.

Known as the "Southern Gentleman," James, 77, recorded a string of 23 No. 1 hits beginning in 1956 with "Young Love," which also topped the pop chart. Others include "Bright Lights, Big City," "Running Bear" and "Only the Lonely."

The dean of Nashville session guitarists, Bradley, 80, toured with Ernest Tubb's the Texas Troubadours and began playing in the studio when the Music City's recording industry caught on in the 1940s and '50s.

Bull Butter
08-30-2006, 05:22 PM
An interesting twist to this honor is that the Hall of Fame inductees are usually artists whose recording careers are behind them or at least peaked long ago.

With George's current single "Give It Away" currently sitting in the #5 spot on Billboard's Country Singles chart, it's very possible that he could have the # 1 song the week that he is inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame(Nov.6). It would be a safe bet to say this has never happened to any other HOF artist.

STANG RED
08-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
An interesting twist to this honor is that the Hall of Fame inductees are usually artists whose recording careers are behind them or at least peaked long ago.

With George's current single "Give It Away" currently sitting in the #5 spot on Billboard's Country Singles chart, it's very possible that he could have the # 1 song the week that he is inducted into the Country Music Hall Of Fame(Nov.6). It would be a safe bet to say this has never happened to any other HOF artist.

That would be cool. George IS the man!

Maroon87
08-30-2006, 05:30 PM
Very nice for a true Texas legend.:cool:

Gobbla2001
08-30-2006, 06:05 PM
King George should have been inducted after "Fool Hearted Memory".... That's what Miss Cleo said...

tigerpride_08
08-30-2006, 06:16 PM
my favorite male country singer...congrats to him...:clap:

3afan
08-30-2006, 06:19 PM
well deserved

LHMom
08-30-2006, 08:30 PM
George is the best. Everyone loves George - men and women. A great combination of a real cowboy, a family man, and great talent.

Leopards,class of 75
08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
my favorite male country singer...congrats to him...:clap: Mine too! He is awesome and deserves this honor!

espn1
08-30-2006, 10:22 PM
George is #1. I remember the first time I ever saw him. It was at the Horse Races in Fredericksburg. The year that Amarillo by Morning came out. Man what a great time! I've seen him quite a few times. But, can you believe I once saw him at the Killeen High School? I had front row seats. It was grat for me because the stage was so close. Also they're were always lots of women.:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
Thanks Big George for all of the great time you've helped provide.

JHS_c/o_06'
08-30-2006, 10:23 PM
i was going to guess tightest pair of jeans award.......but hall of fame is nothing to spit at

SintonFan
08-31-2006, 12:36 AM
It's because of George that I never bought that Ocean Front property...:clap:
Congratulations man!:clap:

Texas-Fight
08-31-2006, 09:07 AM
Congrats :clap:

pirate4state
08-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by LHMom
George is the best. Everyone loves George - men and women. A great combination of a real cowboy, a family man, and great talent. Amen!! He is my favorite country singer!! :) His box set is awesome!!!

Phil C
08-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Way to go George!

injuredinmelee
08-31-2006, 10:36 AM
George is guilty of forgetting who pushed him over the edge of stardom. He has been huge for years but was still taking care of the fans that supported him for years and years by doing shows in smaller markets to packed houses. Then when he won Entertainer of the year or whatever it was he decided that he was only going to do arena shows in huge venues. Leaving towns like Abilene etc out. I griped to his management about this and they sent me an autographed cd. I tossed it he can hug the left one.

Adidas410s
08-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
George is guilty of forgetting who pushed him over the edge of stardom. He has been huge for years but was still taking care of the fans that supported him for years and years by doing shows in smaller markets to packed houses. Then when he won Entertainer of the year or whatever it was he decided that he was only going to do arena shows in huge venues. Leaving towns like Abilene etc out. I griped to his management about this and they sent me an autographed cd. I tossed it he can hug the left one.

You've never been a fan of "the man" have you? ;)

Adidas410s
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
Congrats to George...definitely worthy of the award!!! :clap: :clap:

That being said, it was very sad to see him totally leave his roots the past few years and start putting out "pop country" music full of choirs, computers, and poor lyrics. The past few tracks he has put out have returned back to the style that we know and love.

One thing that amazes me is to go look at the "50 #1's" album and see just how many great songs he had that DIDN'T reach #1. You will be surprised that's for sure...

injuredinmelee
08-31-2006, 10:41 AM
a huge fan. I still listen to him all the time because he is the best. I think "You'll Be There" is one of the top 5 country songs of all time and it is only about a year old.
I jsut dont like the folks that forgot who helped them to the top. When he couldnt sell out Reliant he could come here to abilene and sell 10,000 tickets in 45 minutes. my sister camped out for over a week to get us front row seats the last time he was here.

BMOC
08-31-2006, 10:46 AM
!Muy bueno Jorge!

I'm in El Paso today.....hope to keep up with the scores from the DL this weekend.