PDA

View Full Version : Gamble out at Timpson(officially)

hawkfan
08-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Gamble out at Timpson(officially)

Denton takes over at Timpson
It is noted that Iowa Park ALum and OC at Timpson is now the new head coach.

I still would like to know what the whole story is behind this.

By KEVIN GORE
The Daily Sentinel

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Timpson Independent School District school board named Robert Denton head football coach at a board meeting Tuesday night, according to TISD board president Steven Amos.

Denton takes over the head coaching job of former coach Lucky Gamble, who resigned as head coach and athletic director last Monday.

Since his resignation, however, Gamble cited his intention of getting his job back as head coach and athletic director as late as Friday, at a school board meeting.

But, according to Amos, Gamble told the school board at its meeting Tuesday that he didn't want to be considered as a candidate to retain his job.

The school board had a regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday to discuss tax rate and budget issues before learning of Gamble's intention not to seek to regain his job when the subject of solidfying the leadership of the athletic department surfaced.

"I wasn't expecting it," Amos said late Tuesday. "I was expecting him to tell us that he wanted his job back. We really didn't know what we were going to do."

Gamble could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Amos said that Gamble felt like "for the community, the kids and for the program, that coming back wouldn't be good for anybody."

Gamble never coached a regular season game at Timpson.

He was hired in February to replace former coach Kevin Hall, who had resigned earlier that month when he reached a financial settlement with the Timpson school board.

Hall was in the first year of a three-year contract. That contract followed his first season.

Gamble, who is 267-69-5 overall, came to Timpson after going 59-10 and not losing a district game in five years at Chilton, a Class A school near Waco.

Gamble was 93-14 from 1993-2000 at Alto, including a 15-1 season in 1995 when his team lost in the state championship game.

Denton came with Gamble from Chilton and was the team's offensive coordinator.

"I don't think there is any quit in our kids," Amos said of Timpson's team. "Coach Denton told us that he learned football under Lucky Gamble. I have confidence in coach Denton and our kids."

Amos said Denton will serve as head coach, but not the athletic director.

He said the school borad plans on naming an athletic director later in the fall.

Timpson, 2-7 last season, opens its season against West Sabine at 7:30 p.m. Friday in Pineland.

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 09:41 AM
weird set of events there at Timpson

lostaussie
08-30-2006, 09:43 AM
STR will be disappointed!!!!!!!!!

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 09:43 AM
he resigned then rescinded his regignation then said he didnt want his job back....weird

injuredinmelee
08-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Robert Denton is the IP alum correct? Man i remember him as a little leaguer.

I will email Kevin Gore and see what the story is. I met Kevin in the press box at Jim Neds state championship game a couple of years ago.

injuredinmelee
08-30-2006, 10:15 AM
GM did you play for Lucky?

hawkfan
08-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

He was a freshman when Gamble was there.

injuredinmelee
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by hawkfan
He was a freshman when Gamble was there.

where you under Williams while you were there? Your G.D. right?

hawkfan
08-30-2006, 10:41 AM
where you under Williams while you were there? Your G.D. right?

I'll Pm you and tell you who I am. But no, I w was not under williams

GreenMonster
08-30-2006, 01:00 PM

I had the displeasure of spending one torturous season under Gamble. The guy is a miserable human being. Dang good football coach, but a truly awful person. I know Rob D. as well. I think he'll be OK. Hopefully he only learned football lessons from Gamble and not life lessons. My guess as to what happened, Gamble had a run in with law enforcement. Whether he beat his wife, received a DWI, or beat someone up I have no clue but I'd put money on one of the three.