PDA

View Full Version : Div I v.s. Div II in 2003

zippy
10-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Last year Div. 1 was definitly the cream of the crop as far as competitive teams IMO. But I feel this year will be just the opposite. By looking at the top 10 (most polls), most will be Div. II teams. The road to Div II state champs is gonna be interesting.

What is everyone's take on this?

BurnetBandRules
10-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Please back this up with some data I.E: Scores, records of teams, strength of offense AND defense, stats and previous/present rankings. I am not dissagreeing, just wondering what you base this on? Personal opinion?

Gobbla2001
10-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Most top 10's are different, but if you look at it a lot of these teams will be D2 like Bellville, Rice Consolidated, Fairfield, Daingerfield, Newton and Celina... That's already over half of the top 10 (using AP Poll)...

I know those are just rankings, the average of a select group of people's opinions, but that's some back up...

Go to www.dpoll.com (http://www.dpoll.com) and you'll find a lot of 'stats' stuff...

<small>[ October 14, 2003, 05:32 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

Chris Hart
10-14-2003, 07:25 PM
I agree Zippy, that Div II is deeper than Div I this year. Here is my list of legitimate contenders in each Division.

Div.II
Midland Greenwood
Sweetwater
Ballinger
Decatur
Kennedale
Daingerfield
Celina
Gilmer
Marlin
Fairfield
Newton
Liberty
Bellville
Liberty Hill
Cuero(could go Div. I)
Altair Rice

Div.I
Everman
Decatur(possible Div.I)
Gainesville
Atlanta
Forney
Carthage
Gatesville
Jasper
Navasota
Burnet
Wharton
Cuero(possible Div.I)

I think DII is a little deeper, but I still think the best 3 teams are DI in Burnet, Gainesville, and Forney.

Just my 'opinion'

FBJones
10-14-2003, 09:28 PM
Gainesville as a top 3 team in the state? That's a joke. They will be 1 and out again this year in the playoffs. They won a playoff game for the first time in forever last year. Daingerfield is one of the top teams in the state. They will be the D2 champs.

Old Cardinal
10-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Just a personal opinion--Outside of Kennedale and Newton in Division II. At least 8 of those listed as Division I can beat the other 8 Division II teams listed, just like last year. Maybe not at the beginning of this year, but at Playoff time in a few weeks.

LH Panther Mom
10-14-2003, 09:42 PM
Thanks, Chris, for your support! We do appreciate it.

KTownBalla
10-14-2003, 10:34 PM
I think kennedale has a legit chance at beating any of the Division 1 teams, as does every team in division 2, not just Kennedale.

Which ever team is more prepared. Both divisions are loaded with talented teams, name 1 team in either division that suck....good luck

MustangMadness
10-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Lots of people are counting Sweetwater out after losing Carrillo and Squires last year as well as a great group of others, but i think that monahans proved best when they beat greenwood that anything at anytime can happen on the field. Its always the teams you expect to beat that come back and bite you on the butt. Not saying Sweetwater will win it all but its possible just as it is for any given team.

GO GET 'EM STANGS

crunkandfocused
10-14-2003, 11:37 PM
Old Cardinal:
Just a personal opinion--Outside of Kennedale and Newton in Division II. At least 8 of those listed as Division I can beat the other 8 Division II teams listed, just like last year. Maybe not at the beginning of this year, but at Playoff time in a few weeks.Any team CAN beat any other team. Hell, I COULD beat any team single handedly. Now the chances of that happening are 1 in a billion, but it COULD happen. I think you need to rephrase "can" to "would most likely"

hehe, no offense Old Cardinal, just messin around with ya. wink

Matthew328
10-15-2003, 09:20 AM
D2 is deeper than Div I this year...but the Burnet is the class of 3A....

zippy
10-15-2003, 10:24 AM
Some good post in here. The point I was trying to make is, I feel the real battle in Div.I won't happen till the semi's, but in Div.II the battle begins in the Area round (i.e. Marlin v.s. Newton). Let me say this another way, if we had a round robin format playoff system, I feel the Div. II teams would dominate the winners brackets up till the finals where they would meet Burnet. eek!

seasick4
10-15-2003, 01:05 PM
Gobbla2001 look how many teams on the lists that are Region 4 D II, not very many!!!

FBJones
10-15-2003, 09:17 PM
Burnet this Burnet that. Burnet goes another year without a title, but this time it won't be Everman beating them.

etcoach
10-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Dang old cardinal, this gets OLD!!! If the top 15 teams-DI or DII played each other in a round robin, there wouldn't be a nickle's worth of difference beteeen DI and DII. Overall, the population of a school matters alot less than tradition, athletes, and FOOTBALL players that don't give a rat's ass how many students attend a school that is on their schedule.

Keith7
10-16-2003, 02:39 AM
FBJones:
Gainesville as a top 3 team in the state? That's a joke. They will be 1 and out again this year in the playoffs. They won a playoff game for the first time in forever last year. Daingerfield is one of the top teams in the state. They will be the D2 champs.yea 2 years ago is forever

GETBACKCOACH
10-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Keith7:

FBJones:
Gainesville as a top 3 team in the state? That's a joke. They will be 1 and out again this year in the playoffs. They won a playoff game for the first time in forever last year. Daingerfield is one of the top teams in the state. They will be the D2 champs.yea 2 years ago is foreverLet's get the facts straight..........No matter how you feel about Gainesville. Two out of the past 3 years, Gainesville has been beat by the eventual STATE CHAMPS. I don't know who your team is but I bet they would have had the same fate. You better look at this team before you start mouthing them.........Speed, Speed, Speed, and Skill, Skill, Skill, and Defense, Defense, Defense and a new coach that seems to have them more disciplined than any in the past.

Jerry10ydCurl
10-16-2003, 08:50 AM
If enrollment really mattered that much, Why do 3A teams play and BEAT 4A teams all the time. I know there are some 4A schools that many 3As would kill. There are also 2A schools that would beat many 3As.

BrainDamage
10-16-2003, 09:17 AM
I still think DII is harder because there is more teams to be elimininated b/c if you think 1/3 of the teams that get into the playoffs are in DI and the other 2 gotta go to dII. So there is more competition. Correct me if i'm wrong but DII has to play 6 games to become champs. How many does D.1 have to play?

DarkWing
10-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Jerry10ydCurl:
If enrollment really mattered that much, Why do 3A teams play and BEAT 4A teams all the time. I know there are some 4A schools that many 3As would kill. There are also 2A schools that would beat many 3As.Enrollment matters for the talent pool. It isn't everything. The lower level schools that beat the upper level schools have the other things that matter like support, coaching, tradition, heart ect...

cunbed10
10-16-2003, 12:20 PM
BrainDamage:
I still think DII is harder because there is more teams to be elimininated b/c if you think 1/3 of the teams that get into the playoffs are in DI and the other 2 gotta go to dII. So there is more competition. Correct me if i'm wrong but DII has to play 6 games to become champs. How many does D.1 have to play?5!

Tiny
10-16-2003, 03:38 PM
Old Cardinal:
Just a personal opinion--Outside of Kennedale and Newton in Division II. At least 8 of those listed as Division I can beat the other 8 Division II teams listed, just like last year. Maybe not at the beginning of this year, but at Playoff time in a few weeks.What does that matter? Burnet Could beat Bandara last year 10 out of 10 times but Bandara still won DII

Commerce Fan
10-16-2003, 04:22 PM
According to the rankings it is one way this year and the other way next year but if you put them on the field together there is always one thing you can count on Whether it is D 1 or D 2 it will always be a ball game cause no matter how many kids you have in the school only 11 from your team will be on the field at any 1 time! Good Luck to all

BrainDamage
10-16-2003, 09:38 PM
I hope the luck of the playoffs will bring kennedale and ballinger back together for a grudge match... Kinda like last year against bridgeport...