PDA

View Full Version : Pigskin Prep, 5ATF, 3ADL and how it all started...

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Who here remembers JBC Pigskin Prep?

That was the first true board, and nearly all of the website admins (KT2000 from 5ATF, the original 3-4 from this website, me, C. archer, and COUG78 and a select few others...)

and internet TXHSFB old-timers come from that single board.
Does anyone know what became of ol' JBC? or RV from the successor site which the newer 'pig' came from?

And does anyone know what happened to the football section of this site?

Charles Rixey
PS-You are not old school unless you know who Buck Cargal is....!

Ranger Mom
08-29-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by charlesrixey

When we switched over to the new board, we didn't have anyone to run the region pages. I loved looking at those, and there has been talk of getting those back.

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 07:53 PM
I was there at the old board... end of '98 season... Coug78, bearcat1, KT2000 and a couple of others would all chat at Coug78's site (An Abilene-Cooper site)...

Coug78 actually taught me how to build webpages, so that's where I got my start...

In between the '99 and '00 season, I had a Cuero webpage and bearcat1 had an Aledo and Ralls page... we talked and decided to do a 3adownlow...

KT2000 then started a 5A football site and it has been VERY successful...

that's back in the days man...

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
I definitely remember you gobbla!
whatever happened to Bearcat?

I remember most of those goons from the old board:clap:

And whatever happened to Doug? i haven't talked to him in forever!

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 07:57 PM
i was a member of the original pig

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 07:59 PM
I definitely remember you gobbla!
whatever happened to Bearcat?

I remember most of those goons from the old board:clap:

And whatever happened to Doug? i haven't talked to him in forever!

who knows what happened to bearcat1... family life or something I guess...

Haven't spoke with Doug in a long time... have him on my AIM but never get on there anymore... he wasn't on often anyway but when he was he'd talk your ear off ha...

c-town_balla
08-29-2006, 08:01 PM
i was young but i am one of the older members on here and i remember the region pages jacket2000 bearkat1......

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i was a member of the original pig

The bravenet forum???

Don't remember you... different username?

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Yep that was Doug

Jeremy up at 5A used to be pals, but of course i can remember when he was a junior (in HS). Hope to catch up with him soon. He and i sort of grew up together on the pig, but then, you graduated with me, so you were right in there.

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:04 PM
that bravenet forum was why i put bravenet onto my website! Shame it never took off like that, but who could back then?
It was just JBC and Collier-sharp (nobody really paid much attention to Harris ratings or the PADPOLL back then, at least as far as online. We were all too poor.

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Yep that was Doug

Jeremy up at 5A used to be pals, but of course i can remember when he was a junior (in HS). Hope to catch up with him soon. He and i sort of grew up together on the pig, but then, you graduated with me, so you were right in there.

Yah, Jeremy and I used to talk on AIM all of the time, I even got him to hook us up with this:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/images/downlowflag.jpg

actually he did it on his own without me asking, just wanted to help I guess...

plus he's a UNC basketball fan so we've always clicked on that level...

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Too bad i have been a duke fan since i was nine!
That's the only good part about being stationed here--i can watch every game on local tv!

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
I remember when he transferred there, that's about the last time i was current with him.

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 08:07 PM
that bravenet forum was why i put bravenet onto my website! Shame it never took off like that, but who could back then?
It was just JBC and Collier-sharp (nobody really paid much attention to Harris ratings or the PADPOLL back then, at least as far as online. We were all too poor.

Yah, we used a bravenet forum our first year as the 3adownlow...

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:08 PM
I tried to log on to this site using my original information, but the forum has changed since i was last on, if that dates me at all!

Gobbla2001
08-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Too bad i have been a duke fan since i was nine!
That's the only good part about being stationed here--i can watch every game on local tv!

I think he's a Braves fan though... not so bueno... that's why I don't talk to him anymore....

jk

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:12 PM
I was always a Maddux/Glavine/Smoltz fan, and nothing more. The rangers, sad as it may be, will always be my team.

SintonFan
08-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, we used a bravenet forum our first year as the 3adownlow...
That was a long time ago. I remember that the board would be shut down for several days at the end of a couple of months because the alloted bandwith was exceeded.

Gsquared
08-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Who here remembers JBC Pigskin Prep?

That was the first true board, and nearly all of the website admins (KT2000 from 5ATF, the original 3-4 from this website, me, C. archer, and COUG78 and a select few others...)

and internet TXHSFB old-timers come from that single board.
Does anyone know what became of ol' JBC? or RV from the successor site which the newer 'pig' came from?

Charles Rixey
Buck is still carrying the mail in North Richland Hills

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:31 PM
You motivate me g2, even if everyone else says you are unlucky.
Will you be at the CEL-PP game this year?

Gsquared
08-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Yeah, think I might try to make it this year. You know, as many games as I have been to, I have never once seen a Celina/PP game.

Adidas4I0s
08-29-2006, 08:38 PM
I joined in the summer/fall of 1998 on the old Pig. I remember that was the 1st of the 2 year run of Breckenridge and they seemed to have half of the town on that board. I remember that their QB at the time, Cliff Watkins, was on the board because him and I talked some after he went off to Arizona.

Also, if you go to Coug 78's site you will see some pictures of the new turf being laid at Shotwell. I took those one afternoon and sent them to him.

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:39 PM
There's something to be said for intense small school rivalries. And, it will be the first game i have seen in two years. that is such a horribly long time i can't even fathom what i have missed.

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Adidas, what is Coug's website url? i haven't been there in way too long

charlesrixey
08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
I love shotwell stadium, back when it had the orange, dead grass.

Matthew328
08-29-2006, 09:39 PM
I joined the old pig in the fall of 1998....saw a star-telegram article and jumped on....that was such a great board with great charecters...Luke tha Drifter and Pantherine come to mind...

those were days...

big daddy russ
08-29-2006, 09:44 PM
Dang, I had never even used the internet until the fall of '98... my first semester of college. Didn't even know what a chat room or forum was until a year or two later.

You boys are old school.

Ranger Mom
08-29-2006, 09:45 PM
I joined The Pig right after I joined here and inducted into the "Secret Society"....that was before we had PM's o the dlow and we used the pig to translate messages via leaving our secret # and the person we were talking to secret # on here!

Do any of you remember that????:D :D

PPHSfan
08-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I joined The Pig right after I joined here and inducted into the "Secret Society"....that was before we had PM's o the dlow and we used the pig to translate messages via leaving our secret # and the person we were talking to secret # on here!

lol you know i do.:D

sinton66
08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
I seem to have a vague memory along those lines. Fun times!;)

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 10:11 PM
i was a poster on the pig in 98...that was my first year in college. I really just read a lot. I cant remember if I was even registered as kaorder1999. I might have been jrags9

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
i cant remember how I found the downlow in 01. I guess Matt might have led me to it. Not sure

Adidas4I0s
08-29-2006, 11:10 PM
Adidas, what is Coug's website url? i haven't been there in way too long

let me look around and see if I can find it...

http://www.cougar-country.com/

Odis
08-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Ah, the old pigskin prep days. I get all misty just thinkin bout it. These youngstas here think they invented the bulletin board. Pups!

Buck Cargal, his Grandaddy was from Iowa Park. The Williamsons.
Small world, but I can't tell ya how small or else IIM and GM might find out more an I want em to know.

Gsquared
08-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Odis
Ah, the old pigskin prep days. I get all misty just thinkin bout it. These youngstas here think they invented the bulletin board. Pups!

Buck Cargal, his Grandaddy was from Iowa Park. The Williamsons.
Small world, but I can't tell ya how small or else IIM and GM might find out more an I want em to know.
Buck grew up and went to school in IP didnt he?

Odis
08-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, he did!

GreenMonster
08-30-2006, 08:25 AM

I know who Buck Cargal is, I also know his brother and his Mama. Why, yep you guessed it, Buck Cargal is from Iowa Park!

Gsquared
08-30-2006, 09:00 AM
Buck is carrying the mail in North Richland Hills now!!

luvhoops34
08-30-2006, 02:09 PM
I didn't join the pig until Oct of 01'. It sure was a lot of fun back then.

SintonFan
08-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

#4 check your PM's...:D