PDA

View Full Version : For 3afan (and other Cove fans)

LH Panther Mom
08-29-2006, 04:51 PM
From the Austin American-Statesman "top 10 countdown"....

For No. 3 Copperas Cove, moving down means expectations go up
Bulldogs, already one of 5A's most consistent winners, now set to succeed in 4A.
By Alan Trubow

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, August 28, 2006

The drop from Class 5A to 4A means Copperas Cove will automatically be better. Right?

The Bulldogs went 13-1 in Class 5A last year, losing a hard-fought playoff game to Lufkin in the state quarterfinals. And they return a lot of talent from that team.

So the expectations have to be higher this year?

"Not really. I mean, we start out every year with the same goals and same expectations," Copperas Cove head coach Jack Welch said. "But I don't think the move down to Class 4A has anything to do with it. Actually, I think our schedule this year is just as tough or tougher than it was last year."

Copperas Cove might be the No. 3-ranked team in the Austin American-Statesman's preseason Central Texas power poll, but the Bulldogs are overly cautious when talking about their season.

"Everybody keeps talking about how easy it's going to be dropping down to Class 4A. But we know that's not the case," senior defensive lineman Craig Woods said. "Our goal is to take it beyond what we did last year. But that's not going to be easy."

That said, Cove doesn't have many apparent weaknesses, and most prognosticators have the Bulldogs ranked among the top three teams in the state.

One reason is the defense, which is going to be very strong. It starts up front with Woods, a 6-foot-4-inch, 250-pound defensive tackle, and Steven Welch, a 6-foot-1-inch, 275-pound junior. Both are returning starters and should spend plenty of time in opponents' backfields.

"We just got about the same amount of depth. We've got a good, hard-working group," Steven Welch said. "I think, without a doubt, we can be one of the best defenses Copperas Cove has ever seen."

His father and coach agrees.

"Up front, that's where everything starts," Jack Welch said. "You've got to get off the ball and disrupt what offenses do. I think we're going to be pretty good at it this year."

That should provide some opportunities for an experienced secondary that lost star Tim Atchison to Baylor.

The leader of that group is defensive back Joseph Leary, a 6-foot-1-inch, 180-pound hard-hitter who is being recruited by Kansas and Oklahoma State. Leary had 135 tackles, six sacks and four interceptions last season, and he will lead a group that includes Brian Jones and Mario Goins.

"You're talking about a very experienced secondary," Jack Welch said. "I think we should be able to match up with almost anybody back there."

On the offensive side of the ball, Copperas Cove will look to Robert Griffin to take over at quarterback for the departed Brent Garner.

Running back Jarod Milsap runs a 4.4 40-yard dash, and wide receiver Rashad Hawk will team with tight end Logan Brock to form an explosive offense.

"We're very set at the skill positions," Jack Welch said.

They're even set at special teams. Kyle Matthews, who has converted 84 consecutive extra points, returns. The state record for consecutive extra points made is 93.

Copperas Cove plays Class 5A teams Harker Heights, Shoemaker and Tyler John Tyler in nondistrict.

"It's a tough schedule. We're playing all the teams that we played last year, so nothing really has changed," Jack Welch said.

Just everybody else's expectations.

atrubow@statesman.com; 445-3959

AAS link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/28cove.html)

3afan
08-29-2006, 05:16 PM
go Cove!