PDA

View Full Version : Don Nelson is back in the NBA

Adidas410s
08-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Sources: Nelson to return to Warriors as coachBy Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Don Nelson will be named as the new coach of the Golden State Warriors this week after the Warriors agreed to terms on a buyout with Mike Montgomery.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that things are "all lined up" for Nelson, 66, to return to the Warriors, who haven't been to the playoffs since 1994 when Nelson was still their coach.

Montgomery had two seasons left on his contract worth an estimated $5 million.

Before joining Golden State, Montgomery, 59, spent 18 years at Stanford, where he led the Cardinal to 16 postseason appearances and a trip to the '98 Final Four.

"I'm very appreciative of the opportunity that I was presented two years ago," Montgomery said in a statement released by the team. "This was a new challenge that I was eager to embrace and glad that I had the chance to pursue and experience. I'd like to thank the Warriors' organization for their support, professionalism and class, and I'd also like to thank the fans of the Bay Area. This is a tremendous region for basketball and the support that they have provided me over the years has been simply outstanding."

Senior writer Marc Stein covers the NBA for ESPN.com.

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 11:14 AM
are you freaking serious????

pirate44
08-29-2006, 11:27 AM
amazing. i guess this makes Chris Mullin his boss. :D