PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood names new QB

Ranger Mom
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Greenwood head coach Steve Taylor said senior Michael Washington will start at quarterback in the Rangers' season opener against Graham in Abilene on Thursday.

The announcement comes after evaluating three quarterbacks during last Thursday's scrimmage against Pecos, in which the Rangers' first teamers scored six times. Washington was being looked at at quarterback along with senior Addison Stewart and junior Noe Rodriguez after the season-ending knee injury to junior Colton Wilber last week.

"All of our quarterbacks played and all three of them performed well, but I think Washington stood out the most," Taylor said.

Taylor added that is was Washington's athleticism that really set him apart from the other two.

"One time (a Pecos defender) had him sacked and he dodged him, dodged another kid and he ended up making a nine-yard scramble when most kids would have lost five or six yards," Taylor said. "He can make plays like that."

Taylor said he didn't rule out playing both Stewart and Rodriguez to some extent at QB on Thursday.

Washington has starting varsity experience as quarterback as he was the starter at Stanton as freshman and sophomore before moving to Greenwood prior to his junior year.

Taylor said with Washington moving from wingback to quarterback, the Ranger offense will change a little bit but added that Chad Caver and Aaron Brooks will replace Washington at that position and both have looked good early. In the defensive secondary where Washington plays safety, Taylor said Cody Smith will likely take his place and Taylor called Smith, "a smart football player who makes good decisions."

In other news from the Pecos scrimmage, Taylor said his running backs looked solid as both Lane Flowers and Bryce Williams had some nice runs.

Taylor said his young defensive secondary still needs to work on improving its pass coverage and that will be crucial because Graham likes to throw the ball.

Link to story (http://www.mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=17122272&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475011&rfi=6)

44INAROW
08-29-2006, 08:48 AM
good luck to Michael...... :)

Ranger Mom
08-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
good luck to Michael...... :)

Thanks!!

I worry most about losing him on defense...he's a weapon there.

The kid they are replacing him with is smaller, but has always been a real "go-getter"...so I am hoping he will do just fine there!!

Tiger Baseball
08-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Good Luck to Mr. Washington! I bet he does a great job. I hated to loose Mr. Day from our defence, but we are going to be ok...:clap:

injuredinmelee
08-29-2006, 10:28 AM
the secondary will def be tested against Graham. Any word from graham about who the starter at qb will be for sure? I predict the younger McCoy.

Ranger Mom
08-29-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
the secondary will def be tested against Graham. Any word from graham about who the starter at qb will be for sure? I predict the younger McCoy.

I thought Case McCoy was a given as QB!!

VWG
08-29-2006, 12:04 PM
From what I have heard, Graham's QB from last year will start. Kid was a soph. last year, and it's his job to lose. Does that mean that Case McCoy won't see playing time? If the Steers need a spark at QB look for the freshman McCoy to come in and play.
He produced Graham's only TD against WF Rider in their scrimmage.
With Greenwood losing Michael Washington on defense look for the Steers to go "up and over" Greenwood. If I am not mistaken... and somebody might be able to correct me on this... but Graham's starting WR's go 6'2", 6'2", 6'4", and the little one at 5'9".

HAN SING
08-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Han Sing over hear Little Joe and Hoss talking about this this morning while helping Hop Sing with breakfast. Little Joe think Greenwood underated this year and say they make fight for district . Hoss think Greenwood still a year away from full potential and not ready yet to snatch pebble from hand. Han Sing think Hoss not like Han Sings Pancake this morning.:(

Phantom Stang
08-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

"One time (a Pecos defender) had him sacked and he dodged him, dodged another kid and he ended up making a nine-yard scramble when most kids would have lost five or six yards," Taylor said. "He can make plays like that."

Sounds like the Rangers have a serious threat at QB!!

VWG
08-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Sounds like the Rangers have a serious threat at QB!!

Washington is a good player, without a doubt. He was their main running back until their QB went down. Big kid, think he goes about 185lbs to 190lbs. It will be interesting though, as the Rangers like to run the ball. Who do the Rangers have that is as big as Washington to replace him in the backfield with?
I think the key to the Graham game is the Rangers secondary vs. the spread attack of Graham... AND... another very important matchup is Graham's D-line vs. Rangers O-line. The Rangers O-line will have to dominate here in able to run the ball. Graham has a good LB group coming back. One kid in particular was 1st team all-dist. last year as a soph. and runs a 4.6 40, think he had something like 110 tackles last year.
Someone can correct me here.. but doesn't the Rangers O-line lack size? Smith is a pretty large kid, but other than that they don't have any kids that are close to his size.

GWOOD
08-30-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by VWG
.. but doesn't the Rangers O-line lack size? Smith is a pretty large kid, but other than that they don't have any kids that are close to his size.

Actually, we are not bad. I think pretty good for 3A

LT - 260
LG - 233
C - 190
RG - 200
RT - 270