PDA

View Full Version : a coaches life

pirate44
08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
i am a bit confused on the working hours of coaches. i know a high school coach's personal and family time is almost non-existant during the football season. i have 2 brothers who are coaches. my question is, are jr. high coaches equally "busy"? i wouldnt guess so, but id like to get some first hand info as to how much time jr. high athletics takes away from the coaches.

District303aPastPlayer
08-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i am a bit confused on the working hours of coaches. i know a high school coach's personal and family time is almost non-existant during the football season. i have 2 brothers who are coaches. my question is, are jr. high coaches equally "busy"? i wouldnt guess so, but id like to get some first hand info as to how much time jr. high athletics takes away from the coaches.

they are usually the scouts who go from game to game, and write most of the scouting reports... i would say that they still have alot of stuff to do that would have something to do with Friday nights

pirate44
08-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
they are usually the scouts who go from game to game, and write most of the scouting reports... i would say that they still have alot of stuff to do that would have something to do with Friday nights
what about sunday-thursday?

District303aPastPlayer
08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
what about sunday-thursday?

i dont believe it should interfere with personal life unless they coach some of the HS teams specializing in certain parts of the game... (special teams)

AggieJohn
08-28-2006, 12:19 PM
yeah, most of the jr. high coaches i know had a relatively easy life

hawkfan
08-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Well, where I work we only have 5 coaches jr. high-varsity, so we all stay pretty busy. During basketball and track, it is not that bad.

Bandera YaYa
08-28-2006, 12:34 PM
One of my best friend's husband is a Jr. High coach....he does scout every Friday Nite and sometimes has to make out of town trips to pick up the scouting tape if it's not ready that Friday after the game. He has his own 7th and 8th grade teams to work with and he's with the High school teams, coaching specific ones, whenever he is not with his own kids. He attends the HS coaches meetings, too. I'd say his life is pretty much spent at one campus or another during football season. Not easy, but he loves it. I would suspect maybe at larger schools, Jr. High coaches are not as involved with HS athletics, but don't know for sure.

crabman
08-28-2006, 12:47 PM
In Cuero there is no delineation between Junior High and Varsity Coaches, in football, that is. If you coach one you coach the other. The coaches and play scheme are identical from the first day of seventh grade to the last day of your senior year. Even our offensive and defensive coordinators have junior high coaching assignments. Coach Reeve attends the games of whomever is home that week. Either 7th and 8th grades or the Freshmen/JV. He is there coaching the coaches.

Our scouts on Friday are the coaches who are responsible for the Freshmen and JV on Thursday.

It seems to work for us.

Bearkat
08-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Some Jr. High coaches are finished for the week after Friday night. Some, on the other hand, are required to work on Saturday morning. The Saturday morning work is normally breaking down a game tape and preparing the scouting report.

LH Panther Mom
08-28-2006, 12:54 PM
Our 7th grade athletes start practice around 6:45 a.m. for all sports and 8th graders practice after school until around 5, or so. And the coaches work with both ages.....then Monday/Thursday games (depending on the sport) and Friday night scout/helping varsity duty. I'm not sure what day cross country meets are and have forgotten about jr. high track meet days, but they're generally almost as busy as the high school coaches.

BMOC
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Usually how hard the staff works coincides with how successful their teams are. USUALLY, not always.