PDA

View Full Version : A Hurricane Study (NF)

Phil C
08-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I did some research on hurricantes from 1900 to 2005 and from the information obtained I have some analysis. Please feel free to do your own research with your sources and post your results. This is an information for what it is worth thread. From my research on 44 Hurricanes during that period I have the following observations. Please bear in mind I don't think my sources listed all hurricanes and I was concerned with those that hit the USA mainland which would exclude many that formed but went into the Atlantic and died out. Below is how many have occured during the months of the year. Remember Hurricane Season lasts from June 1 to November 30 but usually ends when we have the first good cold front that drops the water teamperatures. As far as I know the following hit the mainland.

June 4

July 1

August 14

September 19

October 3

November 2

December 1

Note the exception out side the month range in December occurred in 2005 and that was the exception in an exceptional year.

As you can see most hurricanes (75%) hit in the months of August and September with most of them in September. In fact most of the ones that hit in September hit from September 1 to September 10. Please bear in mind that some actually first hit in August and later in September such as ones that might have hit Florida in late August and then Mississippi in September but in that case I used the first date for the month.

Even though August and September are the main dangerous months there have been exceptions. I was surprised that June had more than July. I think there has been one formed as early as May but I think it weakened and was a tropical storm by the time it hit land.

Please feel free to have your own study and add to the discussion or even add to your conclusions of this study. This is for imformation purposes only. I know it is not a football thread but on the coast considering the games cancelled and players that had to transfer just last year it does have an influenced on hs football.