PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel Tarpons History

Bull Butter
08-27-2006, 06:00 PM
http://themonitor.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=15047&Section=Sports,40Days

Good article about the history of PI football.
Way too long to post here:(

PPHSfan
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/5543/sombrerola7.jpg

footballgal
08-28-2006, 08:27 AM
I thought we had established that pix was not funny.

sintonfanseguin
08-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Nice article on Port Isabel.
I wish Sinton would schedule P.I. someday!!!

DaHop72
08-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
I thought we had established that pix was not funny. I think you did, I thing the KING kind of likes it.:devil: :devil:

Ranger Mom
08-28-2006, 03:03 PM

What did I miss??

What's wrong with it??

What significance does it have to football??

DaHop72
08-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
What did I miss??

What's wrong with it??

What significance does it have to football??
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48965

PPHSfan
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM

WE did not establish anything.

I happen to like my Mr. T pic.

I am sorry if you are not old enough to remember B.A. Barracus and the A. Team.

If you were old enough, you would not find it insulting.

Bull Butter
08-28-2006, 08:29 PM
I believe the thing that is percieved as not being funny is that Mr. T is wearing a sombrero and somehow PPHS ties this in with PI's proximity to Mexico and the fact that nearly all of PI's players are Hispanic. Some would see this as a racial jab at Port Isabel.

Gobbler Fan
08-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Damn PI and the 94 game . I was in Kingsville that night ......talk about a team ready to play football .They came right at Cuero which at the time was NATIONALLY ranked like 15th or so and took it to the Gobblers. To see a team that had all the intangibles against them *size,speed,quickness,depth,talent* play the way they did was amazing .The one thing PI had was HEART and that was enough on this night . To see a undergdog play like that was amazing and this was after the previous year major butt-whippin 68-7 Cuero put on the Tarpon's .

PI earned my respect that night :thumbsup:

footballgal
08-28-2006, 09:37 PM
"...In 1978, under new coach Tommy Roberts, Port Isabel produced two more all-state selections after an 11-1 record and 7-0 District 32-2A record. The all-staters were first team defensive lineman Donny Martin, who went on to play at Rice, and running back Travis Sanders..."

FYI Donnie Martin is TarponInNorthTexas older brother.

Originally posted by sintonfanseguin
Nice article on Port Isabel.
I wish Sinton would schedule P.I. someday!!!

Maybe one day soon in the playoffs:thinking:

PPHSfan
08-28-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I believe the thing that is percieved as not being funny is that Mr. T is wearing a sombrero and somehow PPHS ties this in with PI's proximity to Mexico and the fact that nearly all of PI's players are Hispanic. Some would see this as a racial jab at Port Isabel.

Since when is a Sombrero politically incorrect? So what if P.I. is mostly Hispanic? Is there something wrong with that? We poke fun at the Aggies all the time and they don't seem to be "offended". I live in Louisiana now, and if someone posted pictures of someone dressed up like a coon-ass or a craw-fish, I don't think anyone would be offended. The Southlake Carroll Dragons all bleach their hair blond for playoffs and look like a bunch of retards but nobody seems to get offended. Since when is a sombrero offensive?

SintonFan
08-28-2006, 10:48 PM
Political correctedness is just taking root .

PPHSfan
08-28-2006, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Political correctedness is just taking root .

Next thing you know somebody will post a pic of a sweet potato and Gilmer will get riled.

Matthew328
08-28-2006, 11:18 PM
LOL now thats amusing...whats up Yamboree!

PPHSfan
08-28-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
LOL now thats amusing...whats up Yamboree!

Don't make me find a pic of a pulpwood truck. Atlanta fans might have a cow.

JT44
08-29-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Damn PI and the 94 game . I was in Kingsville that night ......talk about a team ready to play football .They came right at Cuero which at the time was NATIONALLY ranked like 15th or so and took it to the Gobblers. To see a team that had all the intangibles against them *size,speed,quickness,depth,talent* play the way they did was amazing .The one thing PI had was HEART and that was enough on this night . To see a undergdog play like that was amazing and this was after the previous year major butt-whippin 68-7 Cuero put on the Tarpon's .

PI earned my respect that night :thumbsup:

I share the same thoughts. I didn't go to the game,but I remember going to school monday and nobody knew what to say or do, Everyone was prepared for football to extend into December.
I thought we were headed to a rematch with SLC. I remember in the DCF magazine there was an article about the budding rivalry between kris brown of SLC and Clint Finley of Cuero.