PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Salaries

Milk That Cow
08-27-2006, 04:21 PM
It Would Be Interesting To See This For 3A Football Coaches...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf

VWG
08-27-2006, 09:17 PM
That is amazing how low some of the school's pay their head coaches. Austin High, Crowley, FW Brewer, just to name a few that caught me off guard.

Emerson1
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
If they arn't the AD aswell I see why they would only get paid. The AD does as much, if not more work than principals.

I'd like to see how much assistants are paid, since they teach and usually coach 2 sports.

VWG
08-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
It Would Be Interesting To See This For 3A Football Coaches...

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/coaching_salaries.pdf

and you're right, I would love to see a breakdown of 3A coaches salaries.

mrescape43
08-27-2006, 09:28 PM
I can't believe how far down that list Todd Dodge is.

kaorder1999
08-27-2006, 09:56 PM
todd dodge is giving a lot of other extra money from camps and radio gigs and other things. Dont let that salary fool you. I would guess he makes 15-20k a year on his camp alone.

kaorder1999
08-27-2006, 09:58 PM
another thing....some people complain about the salaries of head coaches but what has to be considered is head coaches...and even assistant coaches....work way more hours then principals and superintendents. Head coaches and AD's are also asked to do many other things other then coaching.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Burkburnett's coach is listed at $66,000 more than any of the Wichita Falls schools and I bet more than any of the 3A schools in district 6.

Nice tax base in little ole Burk!

kaorder1999
08-27-2006, 10:14 PM
does burkburnett have one high school?

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Speaking of camps. Try this one on:

Hardin-Simmons offers a passing camp every year. I read in the media guide that they had over 1,000 participants this year. $225.00 per participant. Ok that equates to $225,000 Gross. Not sure what the expenses are but someone is making some money.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
does burkburnett have one high school?

Yes~

kaorder1999
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Yes~

im just guessing but in most cases it is the coaches in one school towns that make more money then head coaches in multiple school towns because the ones at small schools are also Athletic Directors. In districts with multiple high schools there is usually one full time athletic director that is at central office and the head football coaches are just head football coaches with the title of campus coordinator.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 10:50 PM
The AD at Burk happens to be the Basketball Coach. I see where you are going but that is not the case in Burk. (I was a teacher there and that is how I know about the AD...His name is Danny Nix).

I'm guessing that the school budget (they have a nice tax base) is bigger than the ones in Vernon, IP etc.

gato 76
08-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Just wondering what does a high school position coach make in all ,teaching & coaching duties?

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Just wondering what does a high school position coach make in all ,teaching & coaching duties?

I'm sure it varies.

gato 76
08-27-2006, 11:19 PM
Im sure it does according to yrs of service,but on an average does anybody know?

Milk That Cow
08-27-2006, 11:25 PM
Great Coaches are worth every penny and more that they are paid...

kaorder1999
08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
it all depends aon whether or not they are a head coach of a sport...how many years experience they have....what the schools coaching stipends are....etc...

Of course the head football coch will make mroe then the head basketball coach....that is unless the head basketball coach is also the AD

VWG
08-28-2006, 08:11 AM
A friend of mine took on extra coaching duties that included sub-varsity basketball a couple of years ago. At that time he told me he was paid an extra $1500 on top of his salary for doing so.

raider red 2000
08-28-2006, 08:27 AM
https://www.lcisd.org/HumanbrResources/SalarySchedule/images/Salary%20Schedules%20Book%202005-2006.pdf#search=%22lamar%20consolidated%20salaries %22

this is the most detailed break down of how much coaches and teachers get paid.

Lamar consolidated is in rosenberg.....outside of Houston.

I just looked at the numbers and i think that if my math is correct that i would be making about 52,000 if i was in this school district.

footballgal
08-28-2006, 08:40 AM
I think Stumbaugh makes over 70k in PI

kaorder1999
08-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
https://www.lcisd.org/HumanbrResources/SalarySchedule/images/Salary%20Schedules%20Book%202005-2006.pdf#search=%22lamar%20consolidated%20salaries %22

this is the most detailed break down of how much coaches and teachers get paid.

Lamar consolidated is in rosenberg.....outside of Houston.

I just looked at the numbers and i think that if my math is correct that i would be making about 52,000 if i was in this school district.

how many years have you taught?

AggieJohn
08-28-2006, 08:47 AM
another thing....some people complain about the salaries of head coaches but what has to be considered is head coaches...and even assistant coaches....work way more hours then principals and superintendents. Head coaches and AD's are also asked to do many other things other then coaching. i highly highly doubt that...i know for instance i read an article to where the Super for Victoria works 12 hours a day, six days a week....

raider red 2000
08-28-2006, 08:48 AM
how many years have you taught?

3 years with a masters degree + days for coaching and stipends

Adidas410s
08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
I figure I could get $53,950.

2 bachelors degrees + I could teach banking, be a percussion instructor for HS, JH, and MS, as well as run the HS and JH tennis programs.

I don't know if there are enough hours in the day for all of it...but I could sure try! :thumbsup:

DaHop72
08-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I figure I could get $53,950.

2 bachelors degrees + I could teach banking, be a percussion instructor for HS, JH, and MS, as well as run the HS and JH tennis programs.

I don't know if there are enough hours in the day for all of it...but I could sure try! :thumbsup: A drummer as well.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Adidas410s
08-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
A drummer as well.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

now, now Hops...there is more to percussion that drumming! :thumbsup:

kaorder1999
08-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i highly highly doubt that...i know for instance i read an article to where the Super for Victoria works 12 hours a day, six days a week....

LETS SEE...

typical week for a Varsity football coach

MONDAY-- 7 a.m- 8 p.m. (13 hours)
TUESDAY-- same as Monday (13 hours)
WEDNESDAY -- 7 a.m.- 6:30 p.m. (11.5 hours)
THURSDAY -- 7 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (16 hours) more for away games possibly
FRIDAY -- 7 a.m. - 12:00 ( 17 hours) more for away games possibly
SATURDAY -- 6 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (11 hours)
SUNDAY -- Noon - 6:00 p.m. (6 hours)

Add a couple of hours on Tuesday nights if your junior high plays on those nights and you are asked to attend to support them. Some also work longer Saturdays and some even stay later on Friday n ights to begin breaking down film.

Superintendents DO NOT work those kind of hours!

Adidas410s
08-28-2006, 09:17 AM
LETS SEE...

typical week for a Varsity football coach

MONDAY-- 7 a.m- 8 p.m. (13 hours)
TUESDAY-- same as Monday (13 hours)
WEDNESDAY -- 7 a.m.- 6:30 p.m. (11.5 hours)
THURSDAY -- 7 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (16 hours) more for away games possibly
FRIDAY -- 7 a.m. - 12:00 ( 17 hours) more for away games possibly
SATURDAY -- 6 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (11 hours)
SUNDAY -- Noon - 6:00 p.m. (6 hours)

Add a couple of hours on Tuesday nights if your junior high plays on those nights and you are asked to attend to support them. Some also work longer Saturdays and some even stay later on Friday n ights to begin breaking down film.

Superintendents DO NOT work those kind of hours!

What about offseason though???

DaHop72
08-28-2006, 09:20 AM
now, now Hops...there is more to percussion that drumming! :thumbsup: It starts there and then works it's way down.:devil: :devil: :devil:

Phil C
08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
SPARE NO EXPENSE!! :mad:

kaorder1999
08-28-2006, 09:39 AM
What about offseason though???

depends on what your assignment is...in lower classifications you are asked to coach multiple sports...2 sometimes three . Will you work the hours you do in football...no. But instead of a 90 hour work week its a 55-60 hour work week or more depending on the head coach. The sad part is the lower the classification you are usually the more sports you coach and the less money you make. There are many things coaches have to do in the football offseason. For instance...if you coach on the 4A level you could go straight from football to basketball and then from basketball to a couple weeks off then straight into Spring Ball. If you are a baseball coach you will work those 70-75 hour work weeks during baseball season.

LH Panther Mom
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
The "salary" story from yesterday's AAS is part of a series. Here's today's.....

Long hours, pressure to win, distance from family: all in a coach's workday
High school coaches must balance work, family demands while trying to field a winner on the field.
By Alan Trubow

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Monday, August 28, 2006

Jeff Dicus sits with his elbow on the desk and a hand over his mouth, and a nervous, silent tension slowly fills the Lake Travis High School training room like helium flowing into a balloon.

It's 2 p.m. on a Tuesday during the 2005 football season, and the Cavaliers' head coach is wondering how this meeting with star running back Luke Lagera, Lagera's parents, a Lake Travis trainer and Dr. Rick Schram is going to go.

Jay Janner
AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)
Wimberley head coach/athletic director Weldon Nelms, who won a state title last year, calls paperwork the least favorite part of his job: 'There's always something: ordering supplies, making sure we have officials scheduled . . . double-checking transportation schedules. It's all part of the job.'

2004 FOR AMERICAN-STATESMAN

(enlarge photo)
Lake Travis head coach Jeff Dicus, center, is like most other head football coaches around the state: at work before the day's first hint of sunlight and on the job all day long. 'Once that day begins, there is something always going on,' he says.

The topic of the meeting: Lagera's knee, the one that has had a large brace on it ever since he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in a preseason scrimmage three months earlier. Lagera, desperate to get back on the field for the playoffs, has tried to rehabilitate it all season.

"Luke," Dicus said — his tone one of comfort, consolation and encouragement all wrapped into one — "we need to do what's best for you long-term.

"Trust me: We really want you back this year. But we don't want to risk further injury. I think the best move right now is for you to keep rehabilitating, and we'll see where it goes."

Nine months later, Dicus remembers that day as a difficult one. Still, such difficult meetings happen across the state with football coaches. Sometimes it's dealing with an injured athlete. Sometimes it's dealing with another kind of problem, from grades to home life to drugs or alcohol. Sometimes it's entirely different.

"You kind of knew that he wasn't going to play again" that season, Dicus said of Lagera, who now is a freshman playing football at the Naval Academy. "But you didn't want to say that because he was doing so well with his rehabilitation, and you didn't want to discourage him, especially with a college football career in front of him. So you don't tell him it's not possible, but you don't lie to him either."

Football coaches know their job entails much more than what takes place on the field. They are father figures to all of their players and are forced to take on a daily schedule that extends from morning till night.

High school football coaches in the state's two largest classifications earn an average salary of $73,804, and it's rare to find a coach who feels his schedule doesn't justify a hefty paycheck.

"I think every coach, no matter what situation he's in, works longer weeks than most people want to," said El Paso Riverside coach Tom Work.

The situations are different for every football coach.

Some are strictly paid to just coach football, such as Dicus and Ennis' Sam Harrell, the highest-paid coach in the state at $106,004.

Some are athletic directors, such as Georgetown's Phil Blue, who earns much of his $81,420 salary by overseeing all athletic endeavors in the entire school district, including sports programs at Georgetown's three middle schools.

Some are athletic coordinators, such as Stony Point's Craig Chessher, who makes $83,968 and is in charge of his high school's entire athletic department, but answers to Round Rock Independent School District athletic director Jim Loerwald.

And some are teachers, such as Work, who earns $67,720 and spends most of his day teaching U.S. history and trying to find time to prepare his football team.

"I think every coach has a lot on his plate when it comes to coaching football, no matter what his responsibilities are during the day," Fort Worth athletic director Herb Stevens said. "All these football coaches put in long days. Very long days."

Every coach in the state is at school bright and early. Some, like Dicus and Harrell, are there before even the first hint of sunlight. Dicus uses his first two hours to work out alone, by running.

"It's really the only time I have to do anything like that," Dicus said. "Once that day begins, there is something always going on."

The mornings entail a variety of activities for coaching, including athletic periods for most. An athletic period basically is a shorter practice; the entire team has class together and meets for a brief practice.

During the season, the athletic period is used to go over plays, walk through the kicking game and work on other practice drills. During the off-season, football coaches usually use athletic periods for weightlifting.

"A lot of people don't realize that just because you don't have classes, (it) doesn't mean you're not working with the kids," Dicus said. "We've got a few athletic periods every day. There's one for the freshmen and the varsity, too."

Then it's on to other activities. Dicus rarely is in his office.

"I never can get him on that number," said Karen Dicus, his wife. "If I need to reach him, I have to call his cell phone because he's always in the middle of something."

Dicus uses his late mornings to pop in a game or practice tape to prepare for the Cavaliers' next game.

Meanwhile, Wimberley coach Weldon Nelms — the head coach and athletic director of one of the state's premier Class 3A programs — uses his late mornings to catch up on paperwork.

"It's the least favorite part of my job," said Nelms, whose Texans won the Class 3A, Division I state championship last season. "But there's always something: ordering supplies, making sure we have officials scheduled for all of our athletic competitions, double-checking transportation schedules. It's all part of the job."

Two days after Dicus had his meeting with Lagera last November, Nelms spent part of his Thursday — one day before Wimberley's playoff opener against La Vernia — doing laundry, washing everything from his players' practice jerseys to jockstraps, before that afternoon's practice. He also pieced together videotape highlights of a star player — two-time All-State linebacker Jacob Biddle — to send to the University of Oklahoma for recruiting purposes.

"We like to do this for the players because it's important. It's important that (the tapes are) done right," Nelms said. "We want to give our kid every advantage when it comes to earning a scholarship."

Most coaches want their athletes to have every opportunity. Period. And that's why they're willing to deal with off-the-field problems.

In Ennis, Harrell said he has had to deal with athletes calling him from jail. One Central Texas coach remembers a player quitting the team because he thought his girlfriend was pregnant; two days later, when the player found out she wasn't pregnant, he asked for his place back on the team. Harrell said he has dealt with those situations as well.

"Something like that happens at least once every year," Harrell said. "People think you're just a football coach. You're not. You're a father to 200 kids. You're the person they turn to. You're the one they call when they're in trouble."

Coaches are called on by teachers, too.

"Whenever I'm having a problem with a football player in one of my classes, the easiest thing to do is go to the football coach," said Candice Kaiser, a chemistry and physics teacher at Reagan. "The minute you go and tell a football coach one of his players is acting up, well, you don't have to worry about it anymore. The coach is all over it. And you won't have another problem from the player all semester."

But that's just one more thing added to a coach's plate.

"You've got to stay on top of all of your kids' academic issues, too," Copperas Cove coach Jack Welch said. "It's just another thing that is added to the list."

Between dealing with teachers, students, parents and, if you're the athletic coordinator, even other coaches' problems, there also are football games to prepare for.

"I'm not near as good of a defensive coordinator now as I used to be. I can't be," said Chessher, who was the defensive coordinator at Galena Park North Shore before taking over at Stony Point in 2004. "I have an extraordinary amount of time spent away from football as an athletic coordinator. With all the extra responsibilities you have as an athletic coordinator, you don't have the same amount of time as you did when you were a teacher."

But that's not acceptable. Not in a job where winning is important.

So instead of heading home when football practice ends, most coaches go back to the office.

"We usually have a meeting with the coaching staff after practice," Dicus said. "Then you go back and watch some more film. By the time you leave the office during the season, it's 9 or 10 p.m. at the earliest."

Not that Dicus has energy for much when he gets home.

"He's out of it when he gets home," Karen Dicus said. "He tries to wind down and relax as much as possible. You can tell that he's still thinking about football. He's just very quiet. Worn out. He tells me a few things that I need to know, and then it's good night.

"I have a T-shirt that Jeff got for me. It says, 'Goodbye Dear, football season is here.' And that's perfect, because it describes exactly how I feel."

(to be continued....too long)

LH Panther Mom
08-28-2006, 10:14 AM
continued......

Though some coaches, such as Harrell, have it a little easier.

"I'm usually out the door by 7 p.m.," he said. "I like my coaches to be able to go home and have dinner with their families, and I like to have dinner with my wife."

Harrell's advantage is he doesn't have any teaching or administrative duties during the day.

If he did?

"God, I don't know how late I would be here," he said. "I'm sure it would make things more difficult and make my days a lot longer. That's why I tell people I'm the luckiest guy in the world."

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Work, who is forced to use early-morning and late-night hours to watch film.

"That's the only time we have. I spend all day teaching history class. I've got four of them. And when I don't have history class, I've got study skills until lunch," said Work, who has guided El Paso Riverside to the playoffs 14 consecutive years. "But you've got to find time to break down film. If you don't, you're not going to be as well prepared as the other teams. And I always promise our players that nobody is going to outwork us."

That ends up being every coach's motto. It has to be.

"It's a 24-hour-a-day job," Chessher said. "It never ends. It really never ends."

atrubow@statesman.com; 445-3959

American-Statesman link (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/highschool/08/28salary.html)

Buccaneer
08-28-2006, 10:49 AM
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Where the coach is No. 1
Sunday, August 27, 2006

If money is power, coaches reign supreme at these 27 schools in Texas where the head football coach is paid more than the principal:

School````````````` Coach.......... Salary difference

Corpus Christi Calallen Phil Danaher $17,898

Copperas Cove Jack Welch $14,465

Burleson Mel Maxfield $11,501

San Benito Mario Pena $7,810

Aledo Tim Buchanan $7,784

Lufkin John Outlaw $6,500

La Marque Bryan Erwin $6,314

Beaumont Central Donald Stowers $6,168

Dayton Jerry Stewart $5,830

Bryan Marvin Sedberry $5,604

Edcouch-Elsa Joe Solis $4,919

A&M Consolidated Jim Slaughter $4,903

Gregory-Portland George Harris $4,787

Los Fresnos Scott Ford $4,783

Paris Brent Southworth $3,458

Jacksonville Randy Copeland $3,000

Plainview Marty McClintock $2,412

Greenville Jimmie Brooks $1,221

Forney Kevin Rush $1,042

Henderson Reid Waller $807

Donna Tom Chavez $710

Burnet Bob Shipley $295

Whitehouse Randy McFarlin $200

Midland Craig Yenzer $51

Midland Lee Randy Quisenberry $51

PSJA Memorial Carlos Longoria $38

PSJA North Orlando Garcia $38

Note: Two coaches in Texas — Houston Lamar's Tom Nolen ($76,913) and Brownwood's Steve Freeman ($74,304) — earn the same amount as their principals.

pancho villa
08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
I make 110,000 as a coach in our school district. and am just a peon.

txkmom
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
At an average 3A school, with 20 years experience, I'd say a position/assistant coach will make about $47-50,000 after this year's teacher pay raise - and he or she will be in the classroom, too.

44INAROW
08-28-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Wow- I am moving to Brazoria County :D :D :D

raider red 2000
08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

what you doin on the side to make that kinda green man.

you running illegals again :)

GOFOR2
08-28-2006, 08:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buccaneer
[B]HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL

Where the coach is No. 1
Sunday, August 27, 2006

You jealous or what?
Maybe if I were as envious about their position as you I would want to be one.
Sounds like too much work for me, though.

tigerpride_08
08-29-2006, 07:12 PM
i think it takes alot to be a coach...and this is just one of the sacrifices they take...

Mustangpride09
08-29-2006, 09:42 PM
In all honesty, I think coaches are extremely overpaid on all levels and are credited way to much. My point being, give a coach a HB that runs a 4.9 versus giving him a HB that runs a 4.3. You cant coach talent.

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
In all honesty, I think coaches are extremely overpaid on all levels and are credited way to much. My point being, give a coach a HB that runs a 4.9 versus giving him a HB that runs a 4.3. You cant coach talent.
what are you talking about

VWG
08-29-2006, 10:17 PM

What about the coach that takes a team with what is supposed to be "no talent"... and turns them into a winning program for a few years. Look at how Vernon dropped off after Leo Britain left.
They've come back over the years, sure, but nobody could coach like Leo.
What about Hugh Sandifer at A. Wylie? Yes, they have one of the highest enrollments for 3A every year.... but look at their success when they've played 4A schools. That guy puts winning seasons together with what he has to work with. Some years he has better talent than others, etc...

Mustangpride09
08-29-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm saying that its not the coaches that form atheletes. They either have a mindset or they dont.

Mustangpride09
08-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by VWG
What about the coach that takes a team with what is supposed to be "no talent"... and turns them into a winning program for a few years. Look at how Vernon dropped off after Leo Britain left.
What about Hugh Sandifer at A. Wylie? Yes, they have one of the highest enrollments for 3A every year.... but look at their success when they've played 4A schools. That guy puts winning seasons together with what he has to work with. Some years he has better talent than others, etc...

I'm not saying the coaches have nothing to do with it, I just think sometimes they get too much credit.

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 10:23 PM
I'm not saying the coaches have nothing to do with it, I just think sometimes they get too much credit.
you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because someone is a good athlete that doesnt mean they know what they are supposed to do. I've been around D1 caliber players that couldn't tell me what a fold block was or what a fan block is or the difference between base cutoff and zone. They need coaches to guide them. They need coaches to lead them. Sure...southlake carroll has a ton of talent but Todd Dodge has a lot to do with that. Coaches spend hours upon hours studying and putting together game plans. Without the gameplans the athletes would be lost.

Mustangpride09
08-29-2006, 10:33 PM
you have no idea what you are talking about. Just because someone is a good athlete that doesnt mean they know what they are supposed to do. I've been around D1 caliber players that couldn't tell me what a fold block was or what a fan block is or the difference between base cutoff and zone. They need coaches to guide them. They need coaches to lead them. Sure...southlake carroll has a ton of talent but Todd Dodge has a lot to do with that. Coaches spend hours upon hours studying and putting together game plans. Without the gameplans the athletes would be lost.

And it doesnt take a great coach to teach those things. Most the time it would be the position coach teaching those things, not the head coach.

Stownhorse
08-29-2006, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Most of the time a teams like that dont know how to be a team and good coaches bring that to the program

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 11:32 PM

you said coaches....

Stownhorse
08-29-2006, 11:46 PM
you said coaches....

and....

LH Panther Mom
08-29-2006, 11:47 PM
How many 4.3 HB's are there? And where are they handing them out if they're just "giving" them away? We'll take a couple. :D

You can't "teach" talent, but a coach CAN teach the kid what to do with that talent. When a coach teaches the 4.9 kid to believe his playing ability is at the level of a 4.3 player, how is that giving too much credit?

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
and....

because he said coaches are overrated and I disagreed with a response and then he said he wasnt talking about coaches but head coaches. He never said originally he was talking about head coaches

Stownhorse
08-29-2006, 11:52 PM
because he said coaches are overrated and I disagreed with a response and then he said he wasnt talking about coaches but head coaches. He never said originally he was talking about head coaches

and.....lol im jk

Stownhorse
08-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How many 4.3 HB's are there? And where are they handing them out if they're just "giving" them away? We'll take a couple. :D

You can't "teach" talent, but a coach CAN teach the kid what to do with that talent. When a coach teaches the 4.9 kid to believe his playing ability is at the level of a 4.3 player, how is that giving too much credit?
so your saying a coach could make me believe my ability is at the level of a 4.3 player cuz i run a 4.8...lol

DaHop72
08-29-2006, 11:55 PM
In all honesty, I think coaches are extremely overpaid on all levels and are credited way to much. My point being, give a coach a HB that runs a 4.9 versus giving him a HB that runs a 4.3. You cant coach talent. And I guess you think teachers are too. Give me a break.

kaorder1999
08-29-2006, 11:56 PM
ive seen a kid on a team run a 4.8 or 4.9 go on to play college football as a linebacker and on that same team a kid that ran a 4.4 and was 220 lbs never step foot on a college football field because he didnt understand football and wasnt coachable but that 4.9 kid was....

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:01 AM
ive seen a kid on a team run a 4.8 or 4.9 go on to play college football as a linebacker and on that same team a kid that ran a 4.4 and was 220 lbs never step foot on a college football field because he didnt understand football and wasnt coachable but that 4.9 kid was....

Yea I could have made that up too....lol but what was the kids position in HS?

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Yea I could have made that up too....lol but what was the kids position in HS?

i dont waste my time making stuff up

Texas-Fight
08-30-2006, 12:07 AM
One time I got paid 30 dollars for an hour session with a young kid on how to run routes.

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:13 AM
i dont waste my time making stuff up

It was followed by a question...y would I ask a question if I thought it was a fluke

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Texas-Fight
One time I got paid 30 dollars for an hour session with a young kid on how to run routes.

hahahahaha where did that come from?

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 12:16 AM
mustangpride09...tell us exactly what makes head coaches overrated....

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:19 AM
mustangpride09...tell us exactly what makes head coaches overrated....

Didnt he say overpayed?

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 12:20 AM
Didnt he say overpayed?

and overcredited....

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:21 AM
and overcredited....
but not overrated....well im off to bed check ya later

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 12:22 AM
but not overrated

are you that bored...? I didnt even ask you the question...why are you defended him so hard....that your boy or something?

Stownhorse
08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
are you that bored...? I didnt even ask you the question...why are you defended him so hard....that your boy or something?

cuz he is in bed chump!...dueces

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 12:26 AM
cuz he is in bed chump!...dueces
thats funny....dueces....arent you 25?

LH Panther Mom
08-30-2006, 05:29 AM
so your saying a coach could make me believe my ability is at the level of a 4.3 player cuz i run a 4.8...lol
Whatever it takes. I didn't say a good coach could make you believe a 4.8 speed is as FAST as 4.3. What he can do is find the "best" in the kids and teach/coach any player to play ABOVE the ability they have. And for the record, "speed" doesn't necessarily win the games.

pancho villa
08-30-2006, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Whatever it takes. I didn't say a good coach could make you believe a 4.8 speed is as FAST as 4.3. What he can do is find the "best" in the kids and teach/coach any player to play ABOVE the ability they have. And for the record, "speed" doesn't necessarily win the games.

But it is sure nice to have speed on the field, it is one thing you can't coach.

Mustangpride09
08-30-2006, 08:13 AM

When I said coaches I meant head coaches, seeing as this thread is about head coaches.

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 08:18 AM
well....you said coaches and there are millions of them around the US. I was just going by what you said. But now that you are here please tell us why you think head coaches are over credited....

Mustangpride09
08-30-2006, 08:23 AM
You can have a solid gameplan and an amazing playbook, but if you dont have the athletes to execute it, your up a creek without a paddle. Just like I said earlier, talent is uncoachable. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, no need to get pissed off at me, these are just my views.

DaHop72
08-30-2006, 08:30 AM
You can have a solid gameplan and an amazing playbook, but if you dont have the athletes to execute it, your up a creek without a paddle. Just like I said earlier, talent is uncoachable. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, no need to get pissed off at me, these are just my views. Don't you bet this one is easy to coach kaorder.:devil: :devil:

kaorder1999
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
You can have a solid gameplan and an amazing playbook, but if you dont have the athletes to execute it, your up a creek without a paddle. Just like I said earlier, talent is uncoachable. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion, no need to get pissed off at me, these are just my views.

i never once got mad at you...i was just interested in hearing your explanation

Dallas ISD is full of teams with athletic ability out the you know what. I played against a Dallas Madision team in 96 and 97 that was full of talent. They were 4.5's and 4.6's across the board on defense. Our fastest player was a 4.6 and the rest of us were average. We beat the ever living crap out of them because us ordinary ahletes were better coached and put in places to be successful. There is no reason why we should have beaten them as bad as we did. Strategy is a HUGE part of coaching football and the coaches that coached me were amazing at it. Coaches dont spend 90 hours a week during football season working their tails off to just rely on their athletic ability to win games for them. The ones (coaches) that do that get their butts beat