PDA

View Full Version : District 7-3A Preview from ARN

Adidas4I0s
08-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Kickoff '06: There will be little room for error in 3A
By Nathan Sanders / sandersn@reporternews.com
August 27, 2006

Sharpen those pencils, Class 3A football fans, and see if you can solve this math problem (no calculators, please):

TD-SM+BC=?

Translation: take an already tough district (TD), subtract Snyder (S) and Merkel (M), then add in 2005 playoff teams Breckenridge (B) and Comanche (C), and what do you have?

Can the new configuration known as 7-3A live up to the standard set by 4-3A, which combined for 18 playoff victories and one state title over the past two seasons? The correct answer won't be known until the 2006 playoffs wrap up in December, but coaches like Sweetwater's Kent Jackson don't expect a dropoff.

''The district lost two teams, but the two we gained are cut out of the same cloth,'' Jackson said.

One thing that hasn't changed is the number of teams. With only five squads fighting for three playoff spots, the margin between haves and have-nots could be microscopic.

''When you just have four district games, every game is (important),'' Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. ''It just kind of removes any room for error. The magnitude for each game heightens.''

Added Jackson: ''The last two years, it has come down to the last week. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some of the same things.''

Jackson's Sweetwater team should be one of those in the mix, thanks to an offensive backfield that ranks among the Big Country's best.

Senior Joseph Banyard ran for 1,276 yards in 2004, making him one of the top 10 returning rushers in the state in 3A. And he did it while splitting carries with Skye Green, a second team all-district performer and 1,200-yard rusher who also returns for his senior season. Add junior Auston Davis, a first team all-district fullback, and the reasons for excitement in Sweetwater are evident.

The Mustangs have advanced at least three rounds deep in the playoffs in each of the past four seasons, capped by their 13-2 run to the Division II state semifinals in 2005. Whether that streak continues will likely depend on the development of a revamped offensive line.

Development of newcomers will also be critical at Wylie, much like it is almost every year.

Converted senior running back Gary Edwards brings an added dimension of speed to the quarterback position vacated when Case Keenum left for the University of Houston. At 6-foot-5, All-Big Country senior tight end Matt Smith will give Edwards a welcome receiving target, while senior tailback Russell Felts (396 yards rushing) and senior receiver Justin Skinner (12 catches, 232 yards) are also proven commodities.

Many of the remaining spots will have to be filled by a senior class which hasn't started on the varsity but has benefited from an extra 12 weeks of practice during the Bulldogs' last three playoff runs.

Like Wylie, Breckenridge will also be led by a converted running back under center: junior Blaine Vick, who ran for 835 yards and seven touchdowns for the 5-3A champions and earned district newcomer of the year distinction. After averaging an astonishing 34.5 yards per catch in 2005, senior Michael Hayworth will slide from receiver to Vick's old running back spot.

The defense returns five starters, including all-district end Waylon Davis. But the Buckaroos' fortunes could depend on their final two regular-season games: at home against Wylie on Nov. 3, and at Sweetwater on Nov. 10.

The Bulldogs of Clyde haven't reached the postseason in a decade, but new coach Craig Slaughter is used to snapping such streaks. At his previous coaching stop, he took Class 2A Hearne to its first playoff berth in 34 years.

Slaughter's chances of pulling that off begin with junior running back Curtis Kevil, an honorable mention All-Big Country pick last fall after an 1,100-yard season. Offensive linemen Clint Moyers and Nathan Chastain were also honorable mention All-Big Country. Junior linebacker Wes Liles (121) tackles will lead the way on defense.

Comanche has missed the playoffs just once since 2000, but the Indians have a gigantic gap to fill at running back.

Gone is Sheldon Feist, the All-Big Country performer who averaged 150 rushing yards per game in 2005. Cole Franco (330 yards) and speedster Michael Byrd will attempt to make up some of the difference. Having a lineman like senior Jonathan Tindol, a three-year letter winner, should help.

The schedule won't make it any easier. The Indians play five of their six nondistrict games against 2005 playoff teams before opening 7-3A play against Sweetwater on Oct. 13.

Realignment shifted Snyder into a four-team District 3-3A with Andrews, Lamesa and Midland Greenwood - three teams that posted losing records in 2005. Naturally, a Tigers squad with 11 returning starters from a 9-2 playoff team has entered as the immediate favorite.

Quarterback Lance Day brings plenty of varsity experience to Snyder's wishbone offense, albeit not at the QB position (he's a three-year letterman at safety). The Tigers should have playmakers on defense in all-state nose guard Tyler Driggers and linebacker Clay Hirt (90 tackles).

After falling in the first round of the 2005 playoffs, the Tigers hope this season is more like 2004, when Snyder went 12-3 and reached the Division II state semifinals.

Nathan's Picks

1.Sweetwater

2. Wylie

3. Breckenridge

4. Clyde

5. Comanche

Evan's Picks

1..Sweetwater

2. Wylie

3. Breckenridge

4. Comanche

5. Clyde

VWG
08-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Interesting that both writers picked Breckenridge in the third spot. Clyde not getting any respect... and don't know if they should since they have yet to prove they can make the playoffs.

Snydertigersrul
08-27-2006, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas4I0s
Kickoff '06: There will be little room for error in 3A
By Nathan Sanders / sandersn@reporternews.com
August 27, 2006

Sharpen those pencils, Class 3A football fans, and see if you can solve this math problem (no calculators, please):

TD-SM+BC=?

Translation: take an already tough district (TD), subtract Snyder (S) and Merkel (M), then add in 2005 playoff teams Breckenridge (B) and Comanche (C), and what do you have?

Can the new configuration known as 7-3A live up to the standard set by 4-3A, which combined for 18 playoff victories and one state title over the past two seasons? The correct answer won't be known until the 2006 playoffs wrap up in December, but coaches like Sweetwater's Kent Jackson don't expect a dropoff.

''The district lost two teams, but the two we gained are cut out of the same cloth,'' Jackson said.

One thing that hasn't changed is the number of teams. With only five squads fighting for three playoff spots, the margin between haves and have-nots could be microscopic.

''When you just have four district games, every game is (important),'' Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. ''It just kind of removes any room for error. The magnitude for each game heightens.''

Added Jackson: ''The last two years, it has come down to the last week. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see some of the same things.''

Jackson's Sweetwater team should be one of those in the mix, thanks to an offensive backfield that ranks among the Big Country's best.

Senior Joseph Banyard ran for 1,276 yards in 2004, making him one of the top 10 returning rushers in the state in 3A. And he did it while splitting carries with Skye Green, a second team all-district performer and 1,200-yard rusher who also returns for his senior season. Add junior Auston Davis, a first team all-district fullback, and the reasons for excitement in Sweetwater are evident.

The Mustangs have advanced at least three rounds deep in the playoffs in each of the past four seasons, capped by their 13-2 run to the Division II state semifinals in 2005. Whether that streak continues will likely depend on the development of a revamped offensive line.

Development of newcomers will also be critical at Wylie, much like it is almost every year.

Converted senior running back Gary Edwards brings an added dimension of speed to the quarterback position vacated when Case Keenum left for the University of Houston. At 6-foot-5, All-Big Country senior tight end Matt Smith will give Edwards a welcome receiving target, while senior tailback Russell Felts (396 yards rushing) and senior receiver Justin Skinner (12 catches, 232 yards) are also proven commodities.

Many of the remaining spots will have to be filled by a senior class which hasn't started on the varsity but has benefited from an extra 12 weeks of practice during the Bulldogs' last three playoff runs.

Like Wylie, Breckenridge will also be led by a converted running back under center: junior Blaine Vick, who ran for 835 yards and seven touchdowns for the 5-3A champions and earned district newcomer of the year distinction. After averaging an astonishing 34.5 yards per catch in 2005, senior Michael Hayworth will slide from receiver to Vick's old running back spot.

The defense returns five starters, including all-district end Waylon Davis. But the Buckaroos' fortunes could depend on their final two regular-season games: at home against Wylie on Nov. 3, and at Sweetwater on Nov. 10.

The Bulldogs of Clyde haven't reached the postseason in a decade, but new coach Craig Slaughter is used to snapping such streaks. At his previous coaching stop, he took Class 2A Hearne to its first playoff berth in 34 years.

Slaughter's chances of pulling that off begin with junior running back Curtis Kevil, an honorable mention All-Big Country pick last fall after an 1,100-yard season. Offensive linemen Clint Moyers and Nathan Chastain were also honorable mention All-Big Country. Junior linebacker Wes Liles (121) tackles will lead the way on defense.

Comanche has missed the playoffs just once since 2000, but the Indians have a gigantic gap to fill at running back.

Gone is Sheldon Feist, the All-Big Country performer who averaged 150 rushing yards per game in 2005. Cole Franco (330 yards) and speedster Michael Byrd will attempt to make up some of the difference. Having a lineman like senior Jonathan Tindol, a three-year letter winner, should help.

The schedule won't make it any easier. The Indians play five of their six nondistrict games against 2005 playoff teams before opening 7-3A play against Sweetwater on Oct. 13.

Realignment shifted Snyder into a four-team District 3-3A with Andrews, Lamesa and Midland Greenwood - three teams that posted losing records in 2005. Naturally, a Tigers squad with 11 returning starters from a 9-2 playoff team has entered as the immediate favorite.

Quarterback Lance Day brings plenty of varsity experience to Snyder's wishbone offense, albeit not at the QB position (he's a three-year letterman at safety). The Tigers should have playmakers on defense in all-state nose guard Tyler Driggers and linebacker Clay Hirt (90 tackles).

After falling in the first round of the 2005 playoffs, the Tigers hope this season is more like 2004, when Snyder went 12-3 and reached the Division II state semifinals.

Nathan's Picks

1.Sweetwater

2. Wylie

3. Breckenridge

4. Clyde

5. Comanche

Evan's Picks

1..Sweetwater

2. Wylie

3. Breckenridge

4. Comanche

5. Clyde

Breckenridge or Comanche is not half as talented as Snyder, so 7-3A will never be as strong as the old 4-3A. I don't expect another district to come close to the old 4-3A. That don't happen often and when they do, the UIL breaks them up in the next realignment. It's a Sweetwater-Wylie race with the other three playing for third place.

Adidas4I0s
08-27-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Breckenridge or Comanche is not half as talented as Snyder, so 7-3A will never be as strong as the old 4-3A. I don't expect another district to come close to the old 4-3A. That don't happen often and when they do, the UIL breaks them up in the next realignment. It's a Sweetwater-Wylie race with the other three playing for third place.

true...but then both of those teams are A LOT better than Merkel! :thumbsup:

At least now we will have a solid top 2 with a competitive race for #3.

PPHSfan
08-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Well I don't see any change at all. It's still Wylie and Sweetwater in the playoffs, and Snyder just going to the playoffs in another district. The "same cloth" teams are still 3rd and 4th or 3rd and 5th.:rolleyes:

Snydertigersrul
08-27-2006, 06:53 PM

every team is better than Merkel.

Adidas4I0s
08-27-2006, 07:02 PM
every team is better than Merkel.

did we ever hear how they did against Roscoe in that scrimmage?

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 07:12 PM
i expect 7-3A will be a race for 1st..wylie or sweetwater...with a 3rd place spot up for grabs....should be a good season for us and wylie i suppose

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 08:46 PM
did we ever hear how they did against Roscoe in that scrimmage?

i thought they did quite swell actually. but you know i have such an extensive knowledge of football... :rolleyes:

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
i thought they did quite swell actually. but you know i have such an extensive knowledge of football... :rolleyes:

i'm trusting that they beat 1A Roscoe

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i'm trusting that they beat 1A Roscoe

idk. i wasnt really paying attention during the whole thing...but the parts i saw they looked good :)

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
idk. i wasnt really paying attention during the whole thing...but the parts i saw they looked good :)

staring at yalls cheerleaders??...LOL

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 08:56 PM
staring at yalls cheerleaders??...LOL

boy im not gay. i was actually text messaging throughout the whole game.

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM

my mistake...was unaware that you were a female.....lol sorry

Snydertigersrul
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM

Since he is quiet, I bet they lost to 1A Roscoe.

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM

umm im a girl - hence the pink font. :rolleyes:

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 09:01 PM

wouldn't surprise me..."he" is a girl..by the way..and i do think that merkel is at its low point...they can't do anything but get better

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM
wouldn't surprise me..."he" is a girl..by the way..and i do think that merkel is at its low point...they can't do anything but get better

not exactly sure how to take that... :thinking:

Snydertigersrul
08-27-2006, 09:02 PM

They were 0-10 last year.

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 09:03 PM
They were 0-10 last year.

no way! are you serious? i bet nobody knew that! :rolleyes:

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 09:06 PM
not exactly sure how to take that... :thinking:

just saying there is no way they can get worse than an 0-10 record..so they can do nothing but get better

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 09:08 PM
just saying there is no way they can get worse than an 0-10 record..so they can do nothing but get better

gotcha :thumbsup:

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
roscoe owned merkel by what i heard

Snydertigersrul
08-27-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
roscoe owned merkel by what i heard

It could get worse, another 0-10

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:10 PM
It could get worse, another 0-10

yea..maybe their coach set up and easy pre-district sch. i hope lol

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 10:13 PM
um. how did a district 7-3A discussion turn into how bad merkel sucks...we all know merkel did bad last year...its a new year. old news. talk about something else.

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:15 PM
the 20 posts before mine were about sweetwater07 and u jokin about merkel sucking

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 10:18 PM
the 20 posts before mine were about sweetwater07 and u jokin about merkel sucking

actually it wasn't me that brought it up...good try though.

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:19 PM
but you and sweetwater07 yakked on right??

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 10:21 PM
but you and sweetwater07 yakked on right??

ummm yea if somebody bashed sweetwater, you'd be taking up for them...which is what i did for merkel.

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:23 PM
i was proving that your "this is a 7-3A thread" comment was bogus cuz u were talkin bout merkel too....didnt have a prob with you takin up for merkel

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
i was proving that your "this is a 7-3A thread" comment was bogus cuz u were talkin bout merkel too....didnt have a prob with you takin up for merkel

im just supposed to sit and let somebody bash my school?

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 10:27 PM
i was proving that your "this is a 7-3A thread" comment was bogus cuz u were talkin bout merkel too....DIDNT HAVE A PROB WITH YOU TAKIN UP FOR MERKEL

read:nerd:

Stangster
08-28-2006, 12:08 AM
Sweetwater takes it all!