PDA

View Full Version : Superstitions

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2006, 01:33 PM
44INAROW's post about not leaving the stands at half made me wonder what other superstitions everyone has.

My son has a pair of game-day boxers that he MUST wear. The one freshman game he didn't wear them last season, they lost to Burnet.

Bulldog_12
08-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I have worn the same hat and sat in the same seats at Aggie Basketball since I got here. NOBODY can make me move from my seats. I had confrontation this year, and yours truly came out victorious.:D

Bullaholic
08-27-2006, 01:57 PM
PPHSFan has worn the same underwear for 3 years. :D

PPHSfan
08-27-2006, 02:02 PM
There was a guy named snotbubble that made a post about superstitions back in 2002 I think. I can't remember it word for word, but it went something like this:

I have never gone in for that superstition stuff. Just the other day I got out of bed and tripped over my blind, three-legged dog named Lucky. As I fell, I knocked my wife's make-up mirror off of her vanity, shattering it. While picking up the pieces I noticed that our cat, Blackie, was chewing on my rabbit's foot key chain. I chased Blackie around the house and outside into the yard. As I ran under the ladder that I had left propped against the house while putting up Christmas Lights, my shoulder hit the the ladder, knocking it into the horse shoe that was hanging over the entryway, causing the shoe to fall to the ground and break. I finally caught Blackie by trapping her tail in a crack in the sidewalk with my size 14's.

As I re-entered the house the phone was ringing. It was my father telling me, that my mom had just fallen and broken her back. On the way to hospital I dropped my son off at the field house so he could get ready for that night's game. After visiting with my mom and consoling my dad, I returned home to get dressed for the game. I took a shower and put on my game underwear followed by my right sock and then my left sock. I walked around the bed twice, sat down and changed my socks to the opposite feet. I stood up, did a war whoop and walked to the closet. I put on my game jeans, put on my game shirt, and my game belt. Then I went to the hall closet a put on my game jacket, my game hat, and my game gloves. Then we drove to the stadium.

When we got there my son was in an uproar. He always gets his left ankle taped by Coach Wright and his right ankle taped by Coach Lefty. Coach Lefty was sick, so the tape jobs were all Wright's. I calmed my son down by repeating our family montra for 30 minutes. The game commenced. By some turn of misfortune we lost the coin toss and the rest went downhill from there. With all of these things going on, who has time for silly superstitions?

LHMom
08-27-2006, 02:11 PM
LHPM - you'd knew I'd chime in. We've had so many traditions for the past 5 years. I hope to continue most of them, even though my boys are graduated!

1) Paint my truck windows w/ purple and gold. Always the same words in the same places...
2) Paint my fingernails purple on the night before the game.
3) Game day apparel: VS purple bra and panties, jeans and one of MANY LH Panther shirts. Early season is purple flip-flops, cool weather is purple socks with shoes.
4) Left a note for my son on the cabinet... Always ended with, "HIT SOMEBODY!"
5) Lisetened to 2 songs on my way to work: A song about "Friday Night Buttlerflies" by Kenny Chesney and "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC.
6) Pack and carry my LH bag with all things LH - throw, cowbells, seat cushions, pom-poms, koozie, rain ponchos, a bag of peanut butter M&M's for half-time and the SAME kind of gum which we have when the team comes on the field for the 2nd half.
7) Sat in the same seats, with the same people in front of us, behind us, and to the sides. (It's like a little seating chart!) Well - I didn't really sit. We stood the entire game since the '02 season. (It's okay to sit down and half-time and for injuries, of course!)
8) During the momen of silence, I prayed for 3 things - a) our team would play to the best of their ability b) they would demonstrate good sportsmanship and c) to keep the boys safe/injury free. (Well - okay I prayed for four things. the last one - that LH WINS!)

I feel sure my repeat behaviours didn't really effect the game, but like LHPM's son, there were a couple of times I did something different and they lost... so who knows?! Superstition, probably. But it still made for lots of good fun & memories!

pirate4state
08-27-2006, 02:15 PM
The people that ride with us to the first away game must always travel with us to all away games. No add ons late in the season!! LOL!

Silly, I know. :crazy:

un b weavable
08-27-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I have worn the same hat and sat in the same seats at Aggie Basketball since I got here. NOBODY can make me move from my seats. I had confrontation this year, and yours truly came out victorious.:D

It must be a crappy seat that no one wants or you get there really early to get the same seat every time. Either that or your a really big dude who can make people move. :D

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by un b weavable
Either that or your a really big dud who can make people move. :D
He's far from a dud. :p

Bulldog_12
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by un b weavable
It must be a crappy seat that no one wants or you get there really early to get the same seat every time. Either that or your a really big dude who can make people move. :D

They are great seats. Its the first elevated row from the floor, and its the four seats on the outside. Obviously I dont need all four seats, but its tradition to have the same three people with me for every game. And yeah, LHPM, Id like to think im not a dud.:D

c-town_balla
08-27-2006, 06:54 PM
On evey game day I wear a livestrong type wrist band that says "play like a champion today" eat a 12'' turkey breast on white with lattuce tomato pepper and mayo subway. Before we go warm-up I MUST have a piece of the worst gum known to man...i forget what its called....i have to get if from a friend from new york and then spit it out before the game

HM33
08-27-2006, 07:13 PM
When I played in HS (Cuero) I wore the same clothes every friday, ate at Tejas every Friday, and I wore the same socks that I wore to school that day to school In the game. I also listened to the same songs on the way to school in the same order on game day. One more is that I walked out of the run through sign. I had a few more but dont want to list them :P

DaHop72
08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
These are not superstitions, those are for really silly people. I like to call it "just being careful".:devil: :devil:

LH Panther Mom
08-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
These are not superstitions, those are for really silly people. I like to call it "just being careful".:devil: :devil:
Okay, but if you happen across a new pair of MNF boxers that look like a field, send 'em my way. :devil: :devil: I'm "careful" when I do the wash, but 4 years might asking a bit much. :p

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 08:21 PM
i ALWAYS talk to our RB, Banyard. the day of the game.....

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 08:54 PM
i wear the same jewlery every friday :)

DaHop72
08-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
i wear the same jewlery every friday :) So, have you ever worn a new clothes to a tournament, played bad and never worn them to a tournament again. Not superstitous, just careful.:D