PDA

View Full Version : Hirschi Preview 2006

fury900
08-27-2006, 11:48 AM
Hirschi Preview 2006

By Andy Newberry/Times Record News
August 23, 2006

The Hirschi Huskies have a new coach on the sidelines and some old faces in the offensive backfield as they try to move forward and end a long losing streak this season.

Coach Neil Searcy inherits a 28-game losing streak, dating back to Sept. 5, 2003, that has nothing to do with him. He also inherited what he feels like is a talented team that is deep in some areas.

"I’m pleased with the talent level that we have, and I think our skill kids can match up with anybody that we play against," Searcy said. "We’ve been fighting a numbers game, but with the kids we have, we have some depth in the skill positions."

And Searcy is pleased with the schedule former coach Bret Alexander (0-20) left him with.

"We’re a 3A school and we’ve been playing a little over our heads the last couple of years," Searcy said. "The schedule, it fits. It has a nice mix of teams that should get us ready."

The familiar faces returning to the Huskies are Ray Barry, who moved to Georgia in the early part of last season, and senior running back Byron Ingram, who played last year at Class A Wellington.

Barry is skilled enough to play about any position and it appears this time he’ll settle in as the Huskies’ starting quarterback.
"He’s doing a good job of picking up the offense," Searcy said. "He and Caymon Edmonds are picking up the offense and at the same time learning a defense that’s new to them, also.

"Ray can make plays with his feet."

Ingram leads a committee of backs that includes Marquis Washington, David Jones and C.J. Turner.

Hirschi will use a base formation of a double spread with one back and two slots, but the Huskies will be multiple.

"We can use some two-back sets, too," Searcy said. He said picking up new terminology is probably the biggest change for his players.

"I think what you get in the spread offense is that you can spread people out and see what they’re going to do on defense," Searcy said. "If they want to stop the pass, we’ll run the ball. If they stack the box, we’ll throw it."

The Huskies have some experience, if not super size, on the front line. Center Drue Davis, guards Kendall Allen and Brandon Clark and tackle Ryan Lewis played last year. John Bennett and Zachary Gifford will compete for time at another tackle slot.

"We have to create cracks to run through, I think their quickness will play to our strength," Searcy said.

The Huskies will have four or five players going both ways, a number Searcy feels is normal for their size of club.

"Our numbers aren’t where we want them to be eventually, but with the choice (system), I think if you win, the numbers will grow," Searcy said.

Some defensive leaders include Le’Mon Evans, Turner, Barry, Tai’Del Grisby, LaRay Mitchell, Xavier McCarty and Ingram in the backfield.

Dante Williams anchors the defensive line and Quentin Sedberry and Washington will play linebacker.

"Speed should be to our advantage," Searcy said. "We like to line up in our base and then adjust. We are preaching alignment and being able to know their assignments.

"Everyone is going to make some mistakes early and we can overcome some mistakes with speed and hustle. We’re really stressing alignment, effort and a determination to win."