PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Preview 2006 +500 post lol

fury900
08-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Vernon Preview 2006

By Andy Newberry/Times Record News
August 23, 2006

The Vernon Lions return a strong running game with fullback Aston Whiteside and a pair of speedy halfbacks.

The Lions hope to add an effective passing came to complement that and turn themselves into a balanced team.

Vernon coach Keith Hall said the team has a strong base with a running game and the ability to defend the rush, but wants improvement in the passing department on both sides.

"We’ve always been able to run the football it seems, but the pass is one thing we’re working on," Hall said. "I don’t care if you throw it five times or 40 times, you want to be able to complete them. We can’t go 4-of-20."

So the Lions have spent a lot of time working on what they don’t do best to complement the power running of Whiteside (839 yards in the regular season) and halfbacks Coryan Briggs and Chase Graf.

Whiteside, a senior fullback listed at 6-2, 225 pounds, surprises teams with the speed and power with which he hits a hole.
"He’s not slow at all," Hall said. "He made regionals in the high hurdles. He is also looking good at outside linebacker and is certainly one of the key players for us."

Quarterback William Miller led several key drives during last year’s district season and has shown an ability to lead the offense.

"We have kids who can get open, too," Hall said. "We’re working on it to see how we can throw it and catch it."

The offensive line, led by guard Kevin Woodard, helped the Lions average 9 yards per carry in their first scrimmage. Briggs helped that with a 70-yard burst.

"They really came off the football and were making things happen," Hall said. "We feel really good. We’ve got a lot of kids pushing each other."

The Lions don’t have great total numbers on varsity, but Hall feels good about the quality of player on the squad.
"I told my coaches it’s not whether you have 48 kids or 33, the big thing is how many players you have," Hall said. "We feel like we have 30-plus players."

Former standout linebacker Jose Cardenas (6-0, 205) is making the move to defensive tackle. Two younger players will take over at linebacker.

Many of the backs and receivers, including Miller and Briggs will see time in the secondary.

Hall expects the Lions to be in the District 6-3A race, which now includes Burkburnett.

"We’ve always played Burkburnett and they have a good outfit," Hall said. "Coach (Chris) Ellis at Iowa Park is going to have his kids ready and coach (Brad) McCoy at Graham has done well. Hirschi is getting better and better. I always remember how Hirschi was when I first came here.

"It’ll be a real good competitive district. The last few years it’s always came down to the last game. This year we know for sure, we are the small school."

Cameron Crazy
08-27-2006, 11:37 AM
Well good luck this year lions on a good season.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
From what I saw at the Sweetwater scrimmage the running game looks good and the passing game needs a ton of work.

I think that Coach Hall has been impressed with Wylie in how they mix things up. I suspect that Vernon would like to imulate some of the things that Wylie does. Why re-invent the wheel? However it takes time and reps to be able to do that. Should Vernon stick with this new balanced attack, I bet that they will do it better by the time district rolls around rather than this friday when the face Altus, Oklahoma.

Oh and a congrats to Fury for your 500th post. Never thought you would break 100! Its about time. I'm not so sure that those 450 posts of a final score only should count though. :)

Phantom Stang
08-30-2006, 01:36 AM
ttt

vet93
08-30-2006, 09:09 AM
What was the score tally on the Veron/Sweetwater scrimmage?

HAN SING
08-30-2006, 11:16 AM
Han over hear Hoss talking about Vernon and say they going to be good this year. Little Joe just think Sweetwater is down a little this year and Vernon made look bad. Uncle Hung Chow say Vernon have chance to win District. Han has friend ( Ten Ding Ba ) who works in night club who think Vernon just average for vernon.

Keith7
08-30-2006, 11:37 AM
wow u've been here almost 5 years and only have 500 posts.. shows how big of nerds some of us are