PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's "Jurrassic Offense" features duel threats(Article)

Phantom Stang
08-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Kickoff '06: Sweetwater wishbone features duel threats
By Evan Ren / rene@reporternews.com
August 27, 2006

To some it looks like an offense straight out of the Jurassic age.

But for those who must defend against the Sweetwater wishbone and senior running backs Skye Green and Joseph Banyard, the Mustang attack is more like a double-barreled shotgun.

Having helped Sweetwater to a 13-2 record and a trip to the 3A Division II semifinals a year ago, Green and Banyard will again be fixtures in coach Kent Jackson's old-fashioned attack.

''We're still the dinosaurs, no doubt about it,'' Jackson said. ''There's fewer and fewer of us out there, but we've always believed in the option.

''It's a good offense when you don't have a lot of talent, but it's really a lot of fun when you do.''

These days, the Mustangs have plenty of it, and Green and Banyard are at the forefront.

Banyard racked up 1,255 yards and 23 touchdowns en route to earning first-team All-District 4-3A honors; Green had 1,232 yards and 24 scores and was placed on the second team.

''We've been real fortunate to have good skill people, so it's worked out real well for us,'' Jackson said. ''But it takes a lot of good people to get it done, and no doubt, these two kids have been exceptional.

''God has blessed them both with a lot of physical gifts.''

The gift of speed may be at the top of the list.

Green, who was the 3A state bronze medalist in the 100-meter dash earlier this year, has run the 40-yard dash in a blazing 4.34 seconds. Banyard isn't exactly stuck in cement, having turned in a time of 4.44.

''Joseph has the physical tools and the vision to get beyond this level, and I think he'll do it,'' Jackson said. ''Skye jumped out early and made a name for himself with the exceptional speed he has, and I think he'll have the same opportunities to play (at the college level).''

Attention from the Division-I level has already begun for both players, with scouts from BYU, Baylor, UTEP, Texas Tech and SMU making inquiries.

In the meantime, the pair will be the centerpieces of a balanced Sweetwater running game which turned out more than 3,400 yards a year ago.

''Any coach in the world will tell you that they believe in their system, but that isn't the trick,'' Jackson said. ''It's not always what the coach knows or what he believes in - it's getting the kids to believe in it and I think we've gotten our kids to do that.''

As with any quality option attack, the dive threat is there, with first-team all-district fullback Auston Davis returning after gaining 558 yards last season.

Making the decision to hand off, keep or pitch will likely be Duone Cunnings, considered the favorite to take over at quarterback.

''I've been waiting for my senior season for a long time,'' Green said. ''We've got a special group here and we've been coming in and working really hard each day, so coach Jackson doesn't have a heart attack.''

That work ethic will likely be necessary for the Mustangs, who will face perennial power Wylie, plus traditional playoff contenders Breckenridge, Comanche and Clyde in a realigned District 7-3A.

But according to Banyard, the Mustangs may be hitting their peak at the right time.

''This is what we've worked for,'' he said. ''Everybody has always talked about our group and we've known for a long time that we're a special group.

''Most of us have been playing together since before middle school, so I'm real excited about this year.''

Jackson, who has a 52-15 record and has led the Mustangs to playoff appearances in each of his five seasons at Sweetwater, is admittedly excited as well. But with a non-district slate featuring 4A toughies from Wichita Falls, Brownwood and Big Spring, he's a bit more reserved.

Continued success, as he sees it, will largely depend upon Green and Banyard helping the team to retain its current mindset.

''Would Skye and Joe like to get the ball every play? Sure, but I've never heard either one of them fuss because they didn't get it,'' Jackson said. ''They've got every reason to be selfish, but I've never seen it out of either one of them.

''They've always had the spotlight on them, but I know them both well enough to tell you that they just want the Mustangs to win. That's a big reason they're as good as they are today.''

© 1995-2006 The E.W. Scripps Co. and the Abilene Reporter-News.
All Rights Reserved.

BMOC
08-27-2006, 12:21 PM
As far as a dinosaur offense, maybe. But I am sure DC's are still trying to figure out new ways to stop it. There have been a lot of teams very successful running the BONE.

Phantom Stang
08-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by BMOC
As far as a dinosaur offense, maybe. But I am sure DC's are still trying to figure out new ways to stop it. There have been a lot of teams very successful running the BONE.
I agree BMOC.
Call me a homer, but Sweetwater's personel offer a lot more than
"three yards and a cloud of dust".:cool:

Stangster
08-27-2006, 11:40 PM
This year is gonna be alot of fun!!!!