PDA

View Full Version : Owens fined for missing team meetings

kepdawg
08-27-2006, 01:12 AM
Owens fined for missing team meetings

12:12 AM CDT on Sunday, August 27, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cracks are starting to become more evident in the relationship between Terrell Owens and the Cowboys.

Now, the Cowboys have to ensure those cracks don't create a fissure that can't be repaired.

Terrell Owens, who has missed 19 of 31 practices since the start of training camp with a strained left hamstring, missed a team meeting and a rehabilitation session and was late to an offensive meeting Friday.

"That's our club business. That's going to be accounted for," owner Jerry Jones said at halftime of Saturday's 17-7 win over San Francisco.

Owens was fined $9,500.

When asked if there was any problem between Owens and the club, Jones said, "We're going to be fine."

Several sources said Owens has been fined for being late to multiple rehabilitation sessions.

Owens could not be reached for comment. He did not attend the game, which is not unusual for injured players in the preseason because coach Bill Parcells doesn't like players who aren't playing to be on the sideline.

The strained hamstring Owens suffered during the first week of training camp could create a conflict between Owens and Parcells. Parcells is a stickler for having players practice.

He believes that because football is a game of repetition, players who don't practice can't thrive because they inevitably make mistakes that cost games. Rare is the player on a Parcells team who plays on Sunday after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday, the two heaviest work days during the regular season.

Twice in the last week, Owens has mentioned that he played well in San Francisco the second half of one season without practicing.

Owens, who returned to practice Aug. 16, managed only five practices before saying he aggravated his hamstring because of too many repetitions in practice. Passing game coordinator and receivers coach Todd Haley is responsible for practice repetitions.

"There's no question our best thing to do is get him well," Jones told Ch. 11 after the game. "I want him out there and would've wanted him to make every practice.

"I understand that, and everyone else does, too. He wants to be out there, too. ... I know this: When he's healthy, he's going to help us win these ballgames."

Since the Cowboys signed him in March to a three-year, $25 million deal, including $10 million in signing bonus and salary this year, Owens has talked about learning from his mistakes and being a better teammate.

Philadelphia suspended and deactivated him for the final nine games of last season before releasing him in March. Less than a week later, he signed with Dallas.

Owens has made an effort to fit in. He met the team's chartered flight when it arrived at Point Mugu for training camp, greeting teammates with hugs and handshakes. He also threw a barbecue for teammates on their first off day of training camp.

Owens' combination of size (6-3, 226 pounds) and speed makes him one of the NFL's most gifted players. His attitude and conflicts with teammates in San Francisco and Philadelphia have made him one of the league's most notorious players.

He can be combustible.

But Jones has said he doesn't think a problem will develop between Owens and Parcells – two strong-willed men who like confrontation – because they will manage their relationship carefully.

Time will tell if the cracks can be fixed.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

Bull Butter
08-27-2006, 01:25 AM
Dear Tuna,
Cut him now.

Sincerely,
Bull Butter

DU_stud04
08-27-2006, 04:05 AM
anyone else think something bigger than a hemi is being pulled? idk, it may just be me but i think something fishy is going on...

3afan
08-27-2006, 07:13 AM
sure looks fishy ......

GreenMonster
08-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
anyone else think something bigger than a hemi is being pulled? idk, it may just be me but i think something fishy is going on...

Terrell Owens is powered by a Hemi???? Wow, no wonder he's so fast. Seriously, Owens knows he needs to be on the field. Parcells knows it's important for Terrell to get healthy. If Parcells really felt Terrell wasn't injured he would have cut him already. Why, because he flat out doesn't care if Terrell is on his team or not. When you cut your starting QB to start off training camp with a bang I don't believe there is any question that you would cut a problem child like Terrell Owens if you felt he was giving you the run around about an injury.

DU_stud04
08-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Terrell Owens is powered by a Hemi???? Wow, no wonder he's so fast. Seriously, Owens knows he needs to be on the field. Parcells knows it's important for Terrell to get healthy. If Parcells really felt Terrell wasn't injured he would have cut him already. Why, because he flat out doesn't care if Terrell is on his team or not. When you cut your starting QB to start off training camp with a bang I don't believe there is any question that you would cut a problem child like Terrell Owens if you felt he was giving you the run around about an injury.

its not so much faking an injury, but i think saying "the injury" is just a way reporters dont get in thier business and make a big deal about whats really going on between parcells, ownes and the cowboys...if thre is something else thats going on, like im thinking....

Macarthur
08-27-2006, 03:25 PM
i think to is just wanting to get out of some practice. i don't think this will be a huge deal. i bet he practices this week and everything calms down.

to needs the cowboys worse than they need him. i'm sure his agent will remind him of that.

3afan
08-27-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
i think to is just wanting to get out of some practice. i don't think this will be a huge deal. i bet he practices this week and everything calms down.

to needs the cowboys worse than they need him. i'm sure his agent will remind him of that.

speaking of TO's agent .... I was wondering if he had called him lately and asked what the heck he's doing? yes, TO needs the Cowboys much more than they need him - well said.

MagicMan
08-27-2006, 03:28 PM
TO can just start making ab workout videos. he doesnt need the cowboys. the 49ers need TO

gobbler grad
08-27-2006, 03:33 PM
I think T.O. 's problems have just started with the Cowboys...:thinking: a lot more to come...Tuna will have to make a choice...:hairpunk:

Phil C
08-28-2006, 08:23 AM
:(

shankbear
08-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Just another overpaid, punk puke thug with talent. What a freekin waste. Cut him now. Now. Now.

AggieJohn
08-28-2006, 08:49 AM
TELL T.O. I THINK HE SUCKS

neck_94
08-28-2006, 09:02 AM
the past always seems to repeat itself, and when the poo starts stinking, the rats will start running and T.O. will start running his mouth.

Take that to the bank.

And I agree with bullbutter cut him loose NOW.

From the looks of things in this pre-season, they dont really need him anyhow.

LH Panther Mom
08-28-2006, 09:14 AM
I can understand not practicing with an injury, but how strenuous is a meeting that he can't attend? :doh:

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 09:19 AM
There's no way in "you know where" that they'll cut TO this year. You don't spend 10 million in a signing bonus to a player and then cut him in the pre-season.

As a cowboy fan, I will never forgive TO. I will cheer his results (especially since I drafted him in the 4th round of my fantasy league) but I will not cheer for him.

STANG RED
08-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I really thought the TO cancer would stay in remission for at least his first year at big D, so this surprises even me, and I’ve been a huge TO detractor from the start.
Maybe Jerry Jones has a plan to get his money back at a $9K clip per week, for this numbskull. Without taking the time to do the math, that should only take about 50 years or so.
:D

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I hate to say it, but:

with TO Dallas=Superbowl contender
without TO Dallas=Playoff contender

Bandera YaYa
08-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Ha, to Mr. Jones: You lie down with dogs, you gonna get fleas!! Jerry gets just what he deserves.......and T.O. is one smart fella, I'd say.....wow, $10 million!!! :p

Bullaholic
08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
This thing comes to a "head" the week before the Jacksonville regular season game. Jerry Jones says a "healthy" T.O. plays in the Jacksonville game. Parcells says T.O. doesn't play in the Jacksonville game if he doesn't practice---even if he says he is healthy. IMO, T.O. is playing both ends against the middle and knows it. It is going to be intteresting to see what happens--somebody in this 3-way affair is going to have to lose "face".

3afan
08-28-2006, 12:53 PM
yes, it is definitely going to be interesting to see how this falls out ..... why the 3 of them don't have a sit down I'll never understand

Highschoolfan78
08-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Jags will shut him down.. GO JAGS!!!! their defense will pop him one i hope if he does play

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
yes, it is definitely going to be interesting to see how this falls out ..... why the 3 of them don't have a sit down I'll never understand

it's too hard to find a building large enough to fit all three of their heads in the same room

SintonFan
08-28-2006, 02:46 PM
TO didn't get enough attention as a child and was givin formula way too early.:(

pirate4state
08-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
it's too hard to find a building large enough to fit all three of their heads in the same room :clap: Yep...I was thinking none of them will admit they are wrong...no need for a "sit down" :rolleyes: :doh:

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2006, 03:10 PM
get this...despite all of Parcells' refusal to acknowledge the event, Owens comes out and says that it all is true, and he merely "overslept".

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 03:11 PM
You mean he's almost taking responsibility and not blaming someone else?:eek: :eek: :eek:

carter08
08-28-2006, 03:18 PM
See. T.O. will not help Dallas if he doesn't play

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by carter08
See. T.O. will not help Dallas if he doesn't play Don't you have a team that you should be supporting instead of hating on the cowboys?*

* - Texans fans are exempt from this rule as they don't have a professional team to root for yet. :D

MagicMan
08-28-2006, 03:29 PM
this is unbelievable. espn is still reporting this like it is news...

SintonFan
08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Don't you have a team that you should be supporting instead of hating on the cowboys?*

* - Texans fans are exempt from this rule as they don't have a professional team to root for yet. :D
Do you get the feeling that OCT. 15 is gonna be a fun day?:D ;)

pirate4state
08-28-2006, 03:30 PM
You mean he's almost taking responsibility and not blaming someone else?:eek: :eek: :eek: :clap: ROFL!! Shocking!!!

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
this is unbelievable. espn is still reporting this like it is news... I was listening to Dan Patrick this afternoon and he's defending ESPN saying that it's because it's TO that they have a right to report on it and that they aren't blowing it out of proportion.

I hope there aren't any cloulds in the sky around his radio studio.:doh:

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Do you get the feeling that OCT. 15 is gonna be a fun day?:D ;) It's looking more and more interesting. But I'm still not sold on David Carr. He looks terrible and he's got 2 great receivers now.

Txbroadcaster
08-28-2006, 03:32 PM
I thought how TO handled the fine would be a telling sign to what could happen down the road...Well TO comes out and says, my fault I overslept. I think that is big. No griping, no blaming anyone, just said my fault.

Couple things about TO not talked alot about

He has had numerous teamates over for cook outs on days off during training camp.

He has been the guy behind the development of Sam Hurd..Hurd went from a longshot to make the team, to being someone who might have a good role in the offense.

He spent one day working with secondary on what WR look for in coverage, and how to read WR movements to tell where they are going.

So All the TO is bad coming from media has covered up the fact he has not been a LEAVE ME ALONE player to his teammates, but has in fact tried to fit in with the Cowboys

JasperDog94
08-28-2006, 03:33 PM
But that's not what gets ratings, so we're not going to talk about that.

carter08
08-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Don't you have a team that you should be supporting instead of hating on the cowboys?*

Hmm, Texans are 2-1

crzyjournalist03
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
This Cowboys-Texans "rivalry" reminds me of a lot of other "rivalries" where one team thinks that the two are arch-nemises, but the other could care less...examples:

Baylor vs. Texas
Yankees vs. Mets
SMU vs. TCU

Sure...some of the lesser teams win against their "rival" every now and then, and it becomes their crowning achievement. But for the other team, it's just another loss and really doesn't burn that badly.

MagicMan
08-28-2006, 03:40 PM
the colts were winless last year in the preseason and they went 14-2. the chiefs had lost 8 straight preseason games until they finally beat the rams this year. the texans havent looked that great in the preseason. they just get lucky. the cowboys have looked amazing. 19-0 this year