PDA

View Full Version : UT breaks merchandising record

kepdawg
08-26-2006, 08:02 PM
UT breaks merchandising record

03:11 PM CDT on Saturday, August 26, 2006

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – The University of Texas has broken the record for licensed merchandise by bringing in $8.2 million for the 2005-06 school year.

The Longhorns beat the previous record of $6.2 million set by Michigan in the 1993-94 school year, when the Wolverines’ basketball program became known as the "Fab Five" and began setting fashion trends in urban areas, according to officials at Collegiate Licensing Co.

Texas’ record total came in an unprecedented year of success in sports at the university, capped by a national title in football.

"It's kind of that perfect storm, and we were able to capitalize on it," said Craig Westemeier, UT director of trademark licensing. "Everything had to go just right, and it did."

According to Collegiate Licensing Co., Michigan finished second to Texas, with Notre Dame, Georgia and North Carolina rounding out the top five.

The record sales mark the first time UT has been first in royalties, knocking North Carolina from the No. 1 spot for the first time in five years.

Schools that use other licensing companies or are independent include Ohio State, Southern California and Texas A&M. Revenues from those schools were not included in the rankings.

Besides the Longhorns' first football title since 1969, a College World Series in 2003 also helped boost royalties by 103 percent. The money goes to entire university and not just the athletic department because the school owns the trademarks.

T-shirts were the top-sellers for UT, followed by hats. After the Longhorns beat USC in the Rose Bowl, the school's 450 licensees sold everything from key chains to mini football helmets to a Waterford crystal football. Even coach Mack Brown's photo on the Wheaties cereal box brought in money.

UT's standard royalty rate is 8 percent of each licensed item sold and 12 percent on national championship items.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Phil C
08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
SPARE NO EXPENSE!

Bull's-eye
08-26-2006, 08:24 PM
They got some of my money!

sahen
08-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
They got some of my money! they have some of everyone who lives in texas' money reguardless of if u pull for the horns or not....

SpreadtheRed
08-26-2006, 09:05 PM
T-shirt fans. and mexicans buying all the shirts of whoever is currently winning

sahen
08-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by SpreadtheRed
T-shirt fans. and mexicans buying all the shirts of whoever is currently winning i am not sure if this comment was necessary?

Gp83
08-26-2006, 09:22 PM
SPARE SOME COMPASION:mad:

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by sahen
they have some of everyone who lives in texas' money reguardless of if u pull for the horns or not....

i own zero articles of Texas merchandise......though after they won the NC everyone turned into a bandwagon fan ...I stuck with my team ATM

Emerson1
08-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i own zero articles of Texas merchandise......though after they won the NC everyone turned into a bandwagon fan ...I stuck with my team ATM
Well if a&m made it to bowl games, they could actually sell out there stadium.

MHSvarsity2007
08-26-2006, 09:57 PM

word. :thumbsup:

Gp83
08-26-2006, 09:58 PM

Ya you hang with them:rolleyes:

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
word. :thumbsup:

bout time i find a true aggie fan...everyone is a bandwagon texas fan these days!!!

PPHSfan
08-26-2006, 10:10 PM
T-shirt fans. and mexicans buying all the shirts of whoever is currently winning

So are you saying that you think mexicans are good for the economy?:D

Emerson1
08-26-2006, 11:03 PM
bout time i find a true aggie fan...everyone is a bandwagon texas fan these days!!!
I guess there are no fair weather a&m fans.

DaHop72
08-26-2006, 11:31 PM
T-shirt fans. and mexicans buying all the shirts of whoever is currently winning You stay classy SpreadtheRed.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blastoderm55
08-26-2006, 11:35 PM
They'd make even more money off licensed products if they'd allow the RTO channel to rent and sell official team furniture. :rolleyes: At 8%, they'd be making over $20 off every recliner I buy for resale, and trust me, I've had people asking for the UT brand ever since I started carrying product from the Cowboys. Oh well.

LH Panther Mom
08-26-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm not a UT fan, but I have purchased merchandise for my kids....one who attends UT. The only two UT articles I personally have are 1) UT parent t-shirt and 2) College of ChemEng t-shirt.

Texas-Fight
08-27-2006, 12:36 AM
T-shirt fans. and mexicans buying all the shirts of whoever is currently winning That is a tad bit racial.

Texas-Fight
08-27-2006, 12:37 AM
bout time i find a true aggie fan...everyone is a bandwagon texas fan these days!!! I go to Texas thank you very much.

MHSvarsity2007
08-27-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Texas-Fight
I go to Texas thank you very much.

im so sorry. :(:p

Texas-Fight
08-27-2006, 12:42 AM
It's ok, it is a lot better than A&M's pathetic excuse for a campus. :D I keed I keed.

During the Seatle/San Diego pre-season game they interviewed Rocky Bernard and they were making fun of him because he mad a "Fightin Texas Aggie" reference. It was hilarious. They were like you had to see an Aggie make the reference.

Stownhorse
08-27-2006, 01:07 AM

you know I aint no bandwagon batez

sahen
08-27-2006, 01:24 AM
i own zero articles of Texas merchandise......though after they won the NC everyone turned into a bandwagon fan ...I stuck with my team ATM ok apparantly my comment went over some people's heads...i meant they have our money due to taxes even if we dont pull for them....by no means i meant that everyone bought UT stuff, though sometimes it seems that way

mustang04
08-27-2006, 02:28 AM
That is a tad bit racial.

nvm

Leopards,class of 75
08-27-2006, 04:35 PM
I have done my share of buying U of T merchandise. Not just this year, but all of my life!!! Go HORNS!!!!

bevo
08-27-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I have done my share of buying U of T merchandise. Not just this year, but all of my life!!! Go HORNS!!!!

Ditto! :D

3afan
08-27-2006, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
They got some of my money!

me too

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 07:50 PM
I go to Texas thank you very much.

thats unfortunate....:(

sweetwater07
08-27-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
you know I aint no bandwagon batez

when your room is burnt orange with everything bearing a longhorn logo and even Texas wallpaper...i know your not a bandwagon fan lefty...lol