PDA

View Full Version : Vernon - Sweetwater Scrimmage Update

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Well both squads looked decent. 2-2 during scripted plays. Live quarter was 7-7. (Actual Points)

Sweetwater has the players. They have speed and size both. They can just break it anytime on you.

Vernon was like a snow plow. Just moving down the field. Vernon looks like they are going to pass a lot more this year. Although I don't think they have either the QB or the receivers to do that. Vernon did beat the mustangs deep for a TD pass. But the mustangs also picked off several passes.

Overall a decent performace out of both teams. After tonight's scrimmage there should be no trash talking about how the Lions suck (like last year). We have a decent team this year.

Phantom Stang
08-25-2006, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the update Z motion!

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-25-2006, 11:34 PM
A few more things:

I thought that the QB #10 outplayed the #4 QB. They are both very dangerous when they drop back to throw and then just jet off down the field.

Both DT's #54 and #54 (They both wore the same #) did a good job. The o-line was big but also not very fast. When the mustangs would pull they had some problems with the Vernon defenders jumping in and beating the guards and getting to the QB or back.

The mustangs will have a solid team and the O-line must have been improved from last week because they didn't look too bad at all. They are all big.

The mustangs also had some fumble problems tonight. They lost two or three of them.

Best of luck to the Mustangs and I hope that the Lions will meet up with them again in the playoffs.

EAGLE9166
08-25-2006, 11:38 PM
good luck sweetwater from us Tatum Eagles

Ranger Mom
08-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
A few more things:

I thought that the QB #10 outplayed the #4 QB. They are both very dangerous when they drop back to throw and then just jet off down the field.

Both DT's #54 and #54 (They both wore the same #) did a good job. The o-line was big but also not very fast. When the mustangs would pull they had some problems with the Vernon defenders jumping in and beating the guards and getting to the QB or back.

The mustangs will have a solid team and the O-line must have been improved from last week because they didn't look too bad at all. They are all big.

The mustangs also had some fumble problems tonight. They lost two or three of them.

Best of luck to the Mustangs and I hope that the Lions will meet up with them again in the playoffs.

#10 impressed me during the first scrimmage also!

sww-bull52
08-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

Best of luck to the Mustangs and I hope that the Lions will meet up with them again in the playoffs. [/B]

Best of luck to ya'll too. And by the way, ya'll DEFINETLY don't suck. You've got a lot of good players. Your guys really fly to the ball on defense and EVERYONE goes till the whistle blows.

wildstangs
08-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by EAGLE9166

Which one is 10 and which one is 4?

Ranger Mom
08-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Which one is 10 and which one is 4?

4 - cunnings
10 - Holsey (sp)

injuredinmelee
08-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
4 - cunnings
10 - Holsey (sp)

your just a sweetwater expert.

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 12:40 PM
4 - cunnings
10 - Holsey (sp)

everyone was predicting #4 to be better than #10...kind of surprised to hear that

Ranger Mom
08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
your just a sweetwater expert.

LOL!! I know...it's kinda sad that a Greenwood poster answered that!!

I just happened to know because I watched them the week before!!:D

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by EAGLE9166

thats appreciated...i'm looking forward to Tatum being the SLC of 2A

sww-bull52
08-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
everyone was predicting #4 to be better than #10...kind of surprised to hear that

It's still early. I don't think either one, right now, is better than the other. As the season rolls on I think we will see big things out of both of them.

DU_stud04
08-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07

really? everything ive heard is that holsey is a stud and is the better qb.... even last year when he was on jv

Ranger Mom
08-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
really? everything ive heard is that holsey is a stud and is the better qb.... even last year when he was on jv

I thought he played for Bandera last season....am I thinking of someone else??

DU_stud04
08-26-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought he played for Bandera last season....am I thinking of someone else??

i think so, i think he moved to sweetwater from weatherford a year ago ....unless im thinking of someone else

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 01:58 PM

they are both dang good...but i think cunnings has a little more experience at varsity level

sweetwater07
08-26-2006, 01:59 PM
i think so, i think he moved to sweetwater from weatherford a year ago ....unless im thinking of someone else

Thomas moved here from weatherford

Phantom Stang
08-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Mustangs, Vernon battle in scrimmage
By Ben Barkley/Reporter Managing Editor

The preseason drills are over and the Sweetwater Mustangs are ready to play for real.

Sweetwater, which hosts Wichita Falls in the season opener Friday night, completed preseason drills Friday night with a controlled scrimmage with Vernon. The two teams combined for more than 700 total yards and scored three times.

The Mustang offense finished with 362 total yards, with 337 yards coming on the ground. The defense allowed a total of 312 yards on 51 plays.

Sweetwater's first unit took little time to put a touchdown on the board. On the first series, the Mustangs marched down the field and scored on its 10th play. Senior Joseph Banyard sparked the offense with a 47-yard run before being pushed out of bounds at the one.

Three plays later, senior Skye Green scored on a two-yard run.

The defense then hit the field and limited the Lions to 23 yards on 10 plays.

Sweetwater's second unit then hit the field and fumbled the ball away on its first play. However, the team came back and drove the ball. The Mustangs gained 51 yards before the series ended at the Lion 44.

The second defense allowed 51 yards on 10 plays in its first series, but Vernon could not score.

When Sweetwater's first unit returned to the field, it managed only 27 yards and was hit by three penalties.

The first defense allowed a score on the next series - a 48-yard touchdown pass, but came up big on the final play of the series as Duone Cunnings intercepted a pass.

Martin Williams put Sweet-water back on the board as the second unit scored a touchdown. Williams capped off a three-play drive with a one-yard touchdown run. Thomas Holsey had the key play in the series - a 69-yard run to the Vernon one.

The second defense allowed a touchdown on the next series, but like before it came up big. Sweetwater recorded an interception to end the eighth play and held on the final two plays.

Following the controlled portion of the scrimmage, the two teams played one live quarter.

Sweetwater started the action but could not move the ball, gaining only one first down and were stopped on a fourth down play.

Vernon went 60 yards on six plays to score a touchdown to take a lead in the overall scoring.

The Mustang offense came up short on the next series and punted the football. However, the punt hit a Vernon player and Banyard recovered to give Sweetwater the ball back.

Five plays later, Banyard hit the end zone for the score. James Beckwith added the extra point kick to tie the scrimmage.

Sweetwater's defense held Vernon in check over the final seconds of the scrimmage.

Holsey led all varsity rushers with 94 yards on eight carries while Banyard finished with 74 yards on seven totes. Duone Cunnings added 69 yards on seven carries.

Rufus McCann added 41 yards on six carries and Auston Davis finished with 27 yards on five carries. Green carried the ball seven times for 16 yards.

Holsey completed one of two passes for 25 yards while Cunnings attempted three passes without a completion.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter