PDA

View Full Version : Texas is NOT the top football state!

CenTexSports
08-25-2006, 01:24 PM
Miss. honored as nation's top football state

By Rick Cleveland
rcleveland@clarionledger.com

Mississippians Friday morning received affirmation of what many of the state have long suspected: The Magnolia State is the top football state in the union.

In ceremonies at the State Capitol, Gov. Haley Barbour accepted the Governor’s Cup from officials of USA Football, the national youth football advocacy organization founded by the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

The award salutes Mississippi as the nation’s top football state following a study conducted by The Wharton Spots Business Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania.

The project included a variety of per capita criteria including, the percentages of collegiate and professional football fans, number of NFL players who hail from the state, percentage of high school football players in the state and percentage of high school players who have letters-of-intent to play for NCAA Division I-A colleges and universities.

Many of the state’s football legends were on hand, including Archie Manning, Hugh Green, L.C. Greenwood, Willie Richardson, Reggie Collier, and Fred McNair. The late Walter Payton was represented by his mother, Alene, and his brother, Eddie, a high school, college and pro football standout himself.

“It’s great to be in the football capital of the world,” said former NFL quarterback Jack Kemp in presenting the award.

“Football’s a huge part of our lives in Mississippi,” Barbour said. “It is our passion.”

Bullaholic
08-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Miss. honored as nation's top football state

By Rick Cleveland
rcleveland@clarionledger.com

Mississippians Friday morning received affirmation of what many of the state have long suspected: The Magnolia State is the top football state in the union.

In ceremonies at the State Capitol, Gov. Haley Barbour accepted the Governor’s Cup from officials of USA Football, the national youth football advocacy organization founded by the NFL and the NFL Players Association.

The award salutes Mississippi as the nation’s top football state following a study conducted by The Wharton Spots Business Initiative at the University of Pennsylvania.

The project included a variety of per capita criteria including, the percentages of collegiate and professional football fans, number of NFL players who hail from the state, percentage of high school football players in the state and percentage of high school players who have letters-of-intent to play for NCAA Division I-A colleges and universities.

Many of the state’s football legends were on hand, including Archie Manning, Hugh Green, L.C. Greenwood, Willie Richardson, Reggie Collier, and Fred McNair. The late Walter Payton was represented by his mother, Alene, and his brother, Eddie, a high school, college and pro football standout himself.

“It’s great to be in the football capital of the world,” said former NFL quarterback Jack Kemp in presenting the award.

“Football’s a huge part of our lives in Mississippi,” Barbour said. “It is our passion.”

O.k.--let's play---Texas by 50 on any team you wanna pick from pee wee to pro.

District303aPastPlayer
08-25-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
O.k.--let's play---Texas by 50 on any team you wanna pick from pee wee to pro.

ill agree with that

CenTexSports
08-25-2006, 01:32 PM
OK

South Panola HS Batesville MS (three consecutive 5a championships and a 54 game winning streak and rated in the top 25 in the nation at least 7 times in the last 10 years; currently #16) against SLC

Ole Miss against SMU

Having lived in both states, it is obivious the Texas by virtue of numbers has the greater number of athletes (heck the biggest cities in MS are the Ole Miss and Miss St. stadiums on Saturdays). I am not saying that Jimmy the Greek was right but the quality of athletes in MS (speed, size, and agility) is very very high.

District303aPastPlayer
08-25-2006, 01:34 PM
OK

South Panola HS Batesville MS (three consecutive 5a championships and a 54 game winning streak and rated in the top 25 in the nation at least 7 times in the last 10 years; currently #16) against SLC

Ole Miss against SMU

we'd take one of those games :)

Adidas410s
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
wow...this is like the joke of the day thread!!! :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
OK

Ole Miss against SMU

heck...let's throw Gilmer at them and see what happens!!!

Bullaholic
08-25-2006, 01:37 PM
OK

Ole Miss against SMU

I'm talkin' all MS players vs all TX players teams.

pirate4state
08-25-2006, 01:38 PM
I don't think any self-respecting Texan will ever buy this crap! :mad: :D

Ranger Mom
08-25-2006, 01:39 PM

:hand: :hand: It IS our lives!!:D

CenTexSports
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
See my edited post above.

Macarthur
08-25-2006, 01:40 PM
I've seen these stats. Here's how it breaks down.

Texas puts more kids in D1 by more than 100 to its closest competitors Cali & Florida.

However, if you look at it from a "per capita" standpoint (D1 signees as a percentage of the number of players in the state), that's where the Louisiana's, MIss', Georgia's excel.

Hell, I don't think the top team in Miss could beat Georgia, Louisiana, S. Carolina much less Texas or Florida.

Jason1725
08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
Take anyone they got and have the play SLC no way they win.

District303aPastPlayer
08-25-2006, 01:46 PM
until anyone has a Best Selling book and a Movie Made about their state's High School Football programs, we win :)

JasperDog94
08-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
until anyone has a Best Selling book and a Movie Made about their state's High School Football programs, we win :) ...and TV series...

BTEXDAD
08-25-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I've seen these stats. Here's how it breaks down.

Texas puts more kids in D1 by more than 100 to its closest competitors Cali & Florida.

However, if you look at it from a "per capita" standpoint (D1 signees as a percentage of the number of players in the state), that's where the Louisiana's, MIss', Georgia's excel.

Hell, I don't think the top team in Miss could beat Georgia, Louisiana, S. Carolina much less Texas or Florida.

Correct, macarthur.
Best male athletes in texas play football. ALL the male athletes in Mississississippi (sp?) play football. There's nothing else to for them to do. No pass no play in effect for neighboring states, but if there's a problem in their own state, the athlete simply moves to Mississisippi.

JasperDog94
08-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Are you saying that Mississippi doesn't have a "no pass, no play" rule?

BTEXDAD
08-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Are you saying that Mississippi doesn't have a "no pass, no play" rule?
Honestly not sure. I'm just piling on MS.
Jim Rome had joke a few years back about Alabama. He said Alabama was putting in the no pass no play, but he didn't know why, because all the kids would simply move to Mississippi. That's where it came from.

No pass no play is not federal thing. It's state. If you remember George W started it in Texas when he was Governor

Phil C
08-25-2006, 03:58 PM
REDICULOUS!! :mad:

HM33
08-25-2006, 05:28 PM
I can understand how this happened. Doesn't really bother me becuase I know where the true football is played :)...TEXAS!!