PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a Celina/Bridgebort report?

kaorder1999
08-25-2006, 09:40 AM
anyone?

Ranger Mom
08-25-2006, 09:46 AM
I think Du_Stud went to that. I can't remember if he posted anything about it or if he was just talking about it in the chat last night!!

Bullaholic
08-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Celina scored 3 times in the controlled scimmage and had 1 called back on a penalty. The Bulls scored twice on passes, one a 70-yarder. Controlled scimmage= 2-2, tie

The teams played 1 "live" quarter. Celina scored twice on the ground and the Bulls never got their "O" going and never threatened. 14-0 Celina.

Celina is big and strong with reasonable speed and moved the ball very well on the ground and have a lefty QB who throws very accurately and made several "spot-on" throws when Celina needed it. The Bulls had a few offensive "flashes" in the air, but never really got untracked in the live quarter. The Bull "D" did not tackle very well and Celina receivers were left way too open on several patterns.

The best part of the night was that I got to meet kepdawg and DU_Stud04. Both are really nice and personable young men and it was a pleasure visiting with them at the scrimmage. My Bull compadre, Slpybear, also joined us.

DU_stud04
08-25-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think Du_Stud went to that. I can't remember if he posted anything about it or if he was just talking about it in the chat last night!!

i did infact go, and yes, i never posted anything, just chatted it up a bit

kaorder1999
08-25-2006, 11:17 AM
and why wouldnt you come straight back and give us a report! come on!

DU_stud04
08-25-2006, 11:18 AM
from what i saw last night, celina will have no trouble with the transfer from 2a to 3a, as thier defense was penetrating, and quick. bridgeport was able to pass on them however.

celinas offense is quick, they ran a few screens well and the quarterback was very accurate. they seemed to do as they pleased during the "live quarter". didnt get there till the second half of controlled scrimmage, but from what i saw, both teams should do well this year. good luck to them both.

oh yea, it was fun and i was glad to meet 2 great guys, Bullaholic and kepdawg....they were the first posters i have met off of here

DU_stud04
08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
and why wouldnt you come straight back and give us a report! come on!

i left, my roomaite was putting me to sleep....seriously now.,....asleep before 10pm? i dont see how you can be in bed before 10 here.... i had to get out hahaahaha

Fletch
08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I was there, and was happy to meet kepdawg, who is a sharp young man. Didn't get to meet you other guys, but maybe sometime in the future.

I thought the Bobcats looked very good in spots, especially the passing game. To play a passing team and have that much success against them is a good sign. I did think that we missed some open men though. Dru Prosser (#3) looked good on both sides of the ball.

From my (naturally critical) point of view, there were some areas of concern with the defense. The secondary needs to improve their coverage and tackling. The pass rush saved our bacon a few times. I have complete confidence that Butch will work out the kinks this week though. Robinson will be a good test for the Bobcats.

:D

bobcat1
08-25-2006, 09:09 PM
I was there also and agree with Fletch. I gotta say that QB from "Rock City"(15 years in Alvord) was deadly when not hurried. You give him time and he could and would beat you deep. Those B'port receivers were awesome also. 2 Spread teams in a row. Hmm You think Coach might be working on something??? Maybe working on it for longer than we think??? Bridgeport will beat Decatur this year IMO in The battle of Big Sandy. Is that QB the sophomore?

Our boys will come around okay. We are getting there. Stay away injury bug!

kepdawg
08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
Celina's running game looked good. It appears there are 3 or 4 backs that can get the job done.

Celina's passing game is okay as long as the quarterback (which ever one it is) isn't asked to throw the deep ball (they can both throw it, but accuracy is an issue).

A strong running game with a short passing game mixed in should leave the Bobcats fine on offense.

There seems to be 4 or 5 guys that could probably excel at any of the skill positions on offense. It should be interesting to see how the coaches get everyone involved and spread the ball around.

Celina's defense is smaller than what I remember in years past, but they are quick to the ball and the first defender usually makes the tackle.

The front seven are solid and are able to get into the backfield and cover the edges fairly well.

The secondary was the obvious weakpoint. The corners got beat several times on the deepball and the safety was borderline invisible. I couldn't help but think that some weapons on defense were being held out.

Most of the 4 or 5 I said could excel at any of the skill positions on offense will probably also be asked to carry the load on defense. There are 2 or 3 players I could see never leaving the field until a game is out of reach. This could hurt Celina early until everyone has a chance to settle in and some other players step up.

Celina stepped it up a level or two from the controlled portion of the scrimmage to the live quarter. I expect them to step it up another level once the Friday night lights are on next week.

Part of me wants to believe that Celina will be the dominate team that I have known for the majority of the past decade, but another part of me can't help but see that things are different. The talent level is down, but in Celina that is still better than most schools! The size is down, but speed and fundamentally sound technique is still there. More than anything, the dominating presence just didn't seem present. The Bobcats will be fine in the end, but they may see a few more challenges than most are accustomed to along the way.

bobcat1
08-26-2006, 07:17 AM
Nice post. We can use it. If I remember, this was a scrimmage. Your feelings about Celina holding some defensive weapons out are misguided. Trying to get things gelled just right takes time. Heck I am not sure they have the varsity roster settled yet. Scrimmages are for testing not winning big. When they flip on the lights the temperature will rise as usual. Thanks for coming out.