PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley's got the talent, drive and heart. All thats missing: leaders

gold_33
08-24-2006, 10:29 PM
Wimberley's got the talent, drive and heart. All that's missing: leaders
Defending state champs searching for senior leadership that was hallmark of 2005 title run
By Rick Cantu

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, August 25, 2006

WIMBERLEY — One key component that helped Wimberley win a state football championship last season is missing.

It's not talent.

Wimberley, the sixth-ranked team in the Austin American-Statesman's preseason Central Texas power poll, has all-district-caliber players at nearly every position.

It's not coaching.

Weldon Nelms, the reigning Central Texas coach of the year, is revered in the Hill Country.

What's missing?

"We had more leadership on last year's team," senior receiver Richard Samuel said. "It worries me. . . . It worries me a lot."

Samuel's comment was backed up by senior Michael Buse, one of the top running backs in Central Texas.

"In practice, we haven't been as intense as we were last year," said Buse, who doubles as an outside linebacker. "Last year's team went crazy. We had some pretty insane people. When they got out to practice they just had to hit someone. It hasn't been that way this year yet."

Eight months after the Texans won the Class 3A Division I state championship with a 15-0 record, defending their trophy is their chief goal. It's up to a class of 25 seniors, though, to duplicate that feat.

Nelms, entering his ninth season in Wimberley, has given his team rave reviews. After a particularly brutal scrimmage last Saturday, he said, "They looked so good, it scares me."

Nelms must replace 30 seniors from last year's team, including a pair of All-Central Texas and two-time All-State players in offensive lineman Buck Burnette, now at Texas, and linebacker Jacob Biddle, on board with Navy.

An offense that averaged 40 points a game will be powered by Buse, who rushed for 1,266 yards and 17 touchdowns despite missing two games with an ankle injury. Buse has gained 10 pounds over the summer, making him a stout 195, but has retained his outstanding speed — 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

The most vital offensive newcomer is senior quarterback Ricky Beaty, who takes over for John Weldon. Beaty played extensively in one game, completing 10 of 12 passes for 200 yards in a victory last season over Llano.

Beaty looks sharp in Wimberley's no-huddle offense in practice, completing passes to a pair of big-play receivers — Samuel and 6-foot-5-inch senior Len Thompson, who scored six touchdowns on only 14 receptions in 2005. Protection on the line has been provided by veteran linemen Clayton Cerday, Stuart Wheat and Logan Zent.

Revamping Wimberley's "Code Red" defense, which allowed a mere 10.5 points a game last fall, will not be easy. Nevertheless, the Texans have a solid nucleus back. In last week's scrimmage against the offense, the defense allowed one first down in 45 plays.

Joining Buse on defense will be veterans such as lineman Clayton Walker and linebackers Harley West, Todd Gold and Chad Skunda. West had 92 tackles last season and Buse intercepted three passes, running two back for touchdowns.

For their efforts, the players sport gaudy rings to signify their state championship. The $650 white gold rings are decorated with 15 diamonds — one for each victory.

If the current crop of talented Texans find a leader or two, perhaps another ring is in the cards.

carter08
08-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Buse seems like a geat leader to me

Chris Hart
08-25-2006, 03:34 PM
If their defense can get to where they were last year, and they do have the potential to do it, you may as well give them the trophy. Too bad they are going to go Div II this time around, would love to see them meet Gilmer...

gold_33
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
If their defense can get to where they were last year, and they do have the potential to do it, you may as well give them the trophy. Too bad they are going to go Div II this time around, would love to see them meet Gilmer...

This years D' Chris is pretty salty, even though not alot of "starters" back, they had such great depth last year that alot of guys got regular rotation throughout the season. This years D after watchin last week is way faster and have the potential to be better than last years, whether or not it happens week in and week out like last years is yet to be seen. This years team many people were expecting to be the state championship team for years and i think it came a little early last year. Dont get me wrong last years team was spectacular and had tons of talent but many of the key guys on that team, especially during the playoffs, were juniors. This years senior class is 25-0, 15-0 last year and 10-0 JV, so the talent is there and I personally think that they are going to be better than last year but come next Friday we'll find out.

September 1st Wimberley at Giddings 7:30pm