PDA

View Full Version : Fading Red Sox

Snydertigersrul
08-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey baseball fans, what do you think about the AL East with the New York Yankkes on the roll and the FADING Boston Red Sox. I believe it's 1978 all over again. The Red Sox shot themselves in the foot by staying pat and not doing anything before the trade deadline. The wild card will come out of the Central, probably the White Sox. What do you think?

TheDOCTORdre
08-24-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Hey baseball fans, what do you think about the AL East with the New York Yankkes on the roll and the FADING Boston Red Sox. I believe it's 1978 all over again. The Red Sox shot themselves in the foot by staying pat and not doing anything before the trade deadline. The wild card will come out of the Central, probably the White Sox. What do you think?

I gots to agree with you on this, except it wont be as dramatic of an end as the 78 season, (Bucky F'n Dent.) I dont see my beloved bostonians making the wild card this year but its all good cuz the chi town sox are ok with me.

SnyTigBaseB07
08-24-2006, 10:25 PM

just outta curiousity this isnt a cheap shot at me is it?

and plus if the sox take atleast half of the games outta the 12 game road series, they are still in contention for the wild card and as any PROUD SOX FAN would know, if they have the oppurtunity to make it happen they will. Their lackluster preformance has been because w/out varitek the rookie pitchers (snyder, lester, delcarmen, ect) havent been up to par, and w/out varitek papelbon has become a game blower, but varitek will be back and with the return of foulke theyve improved, and manny will be back shortly to add that much needed 3-4 combo w/papi.

AggieJohn
08-24-2006, 10:48 PM
i think derek jeter wins the AL MVP

Snydertigersrul
08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think derek jeter wins the AL MVP

I agree with you. I think SnyTigBaseB07 is trying to make EXCUSES for his team. They got lucky one year and now they think they are a powerhouse. By the way, the Yankees proved their dominance over Boston last week with a sweep and did it in convincing fashion. For the first time in several years, AL East will have only one team, the best organization in baseball, the Yankees.

SWMustang
08-25-2006, 07:39 AM
. For the first time in several years, AL East will have only one team, the best organization in baseball, the Yankees.

Let's give every MLB team a 200 million dollar payroll and let's see if you still feel that way. They could afford to overpay for A-rod and Randy Johnson. They make bad moves that would cripple other organizations but can withstand that due to the high payroll

DaHop72
08-25-2006, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think derek jeter wins the AL MVP I don't think the MVP will come from the Yankees due to so much talent that I think they will pull votes from each other. I see Jermaine Dyo or Big Papi winning the MVP.
I hate the Yankees because of George but I think the Red Sox shot themselves in the foot during the 5 game sweep.

Snydertigersrul
08-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Let's give every MLB team a 200 million dollar payroll and let's see if you still feel that way. They could afford to overpay for A-rod and Randy Johnson. They make bad moves that would cripple other organizations but can withstand that due to the high payroll

That's why they are the Yankees and most successful franchise in baseball history.+

gobbler grad
08-25-2006, 08:17 AM
yeah they're a stacked team, but they can't put it all together and win...don't see them as a contender...:thinking:

AggieJohn
08-25-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Let's give every MLB team a 200 million dollar payroll and let's see if you still feel that way. They could afford to overpay for A-rod and Randy Johnson. They make bad moves that would cripple other organizations but can withstand that due to the high payroll i agree with you

BTEXDAD
08-25-2006, 08:50 AM
That's why they are the Yankees and most successful franchise in baseball history.+

correct, snyder. Even back in 30's, 40's, 50's, the Yankees had most money. They didn't have to spend as much on salaries but spent a lot on scouting. They could always come up with top prospects even back then. Based on longevity, they are most successful franchise in not only baseball but sports history.

Take a look at following website for payrolls and decide who is most underachieving teams.
I'd say 1. Cubs, 2. Angels, 3. Red Sox, 4 Astros
For overachieving teams 1. Reds, 2. Tigers. 3. Athletics, 4 Twins.

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

SWMustang
08-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I would put Red Sox #1 and Angels #2 since big things were expected of them.

The A's and Twins consistently have overachieving teams based on payroll.

Originally posted by BTEXDAD
correct, snyder. Even back in 30's, 40's, 50's, the Yankees had most money. They didn't have to spend as much on salaries but spent a lot on scouting. They could always come up with top prospects even back then. Based on longevity, they are most successful franchise in not only baseball but sports history.

Take a look at following website for payrolls and decide who is most underachieving teams.
I'd say 1. Cubs, 2. Angels, 3. Red Sox, 4 Astros
For overachieving teams 1. Reds, 2. Tigers. 3. Athletics, 4 Twins.

http://www.onestopbaseball.com/TeamPayroll.asp

Adidas410s
08-25-2006, 09:04 AM

can you not read what he wrote? Let's look at a few of the players the Yankees have picked up in the past few years and how much money they have wasted on them.

All these stats are combined over the player's tenure with the team

- Kevin Brown (04-05) - $15.75 mil/season...14-13, 5.44 ERA, 133 K's, 54 BB's, 205 IP (That's $154k PER IP!!!)
- Jose Contrerea (03-04) - $8.5 mil/season...15-8, 5.14 ERA, 164 K's, 72 BB's, 166 IP (That's $103k PER IP!!!)
- Esteban Loaiza (04) - $4.5 mil/season...1-2, 8.50 ERA, 34 K's, 26 BB's, 42 IP (That's $107k PER IP!!!)
- Javier Vasquez (04...still paying for in '05) - $10 mil/season...14-10, 4.91 ERA, 192 K's, 46 BB's, 215 IP (That's $48k PER IP)
- John Olerud (04) - $7.7 mil/season... .280 BA, 4 HR's, 26 RBI's, 164 AB's (That's $47k PER AB!!!)
- Jaret Wright (05-06) - $7.7 mil/season...14-12, 5.19 ERA, 98 K's, 76 BB's, 170.2 IP. (That's $90k PER IP!!!)

The list goes on and on...including Carl Pavano ($8 mil), Octavio Dotel ($2.5 mil), Kyle Farnsworth ($5.7 mil), and Shawn Chacon ($3.6 mil)...just to throw out some more names.

Also (since you are from Snyder and only like to talk about recent history), how many World Series titles have the Yankees won in the past 6 years??? :thinking:

SnyTigBaseB07
08-25-2006, 09:55 AM
I wasnt making excuses, if they tank this year its their problem, but the fact that right now they are having a rough time because of multiple loss due to injury. Every team gets it, every team tanks when 5 or 6 starters are out or not up to par due to something else. But anyways, the Sox will put it out, they always due, they prolly wont take the division, but they'll get in on wild card...but hey its all speculation.

Adidas410s
08-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
I wasnt making excuses, if they tank this year its their problem, but the fact that right now they are having a rough time because of multiple loss due to injury. Every team gets it, every team tanks when 5 or 6 starters are out or not up to par due to something else. But anyways, the Sox will put it out, they always due, they prolly wont take the division, but they'll get in on wild card...but hey its all speculation.

Whoa...I just realized that you have moved to Boston. That's crazy! Half of my family lives outside of there. What part of Boston are you living in?

SnyTigBaseB07
08-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Whoa...I just realized that you have moved to Boston. That's crazy! Half of my family lives outside of there. What part of Boston are you living in?

Natick

Adidas410s
08-25-2006, 10:15 AM
that's cool. I have a lot of family in the Easton area. It's about 30 miles SE of you. Enjoy the winter time...it's a bit different! ;)

SnyTigBaseB07
08-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
that's cool. I have a lot of family in the Easton area. It's about 30 miles SE of you. Enjoy the winter time...it's a bit different! ;)

oh ya, i've lived here before, i remember the winters...lol

thats cool though , i go to easton a lot, i've got an aunt who just had a baby that lives there.