PDA

View Full Version : DMN: Madison RB on fast track

kaorder1999
08-24-2006, 08:17 AM
Madison RB on fast track

02:04 PM CDT on Wednesday, August 23, 2006

By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News

Madison tailback Shawnbrey McNeal, a two-time Class 3A 100-meters champion, describes himself as a football player who runs track.

Coach Ronald Johnson remembers when it was the other way around. McNeal had blazing speed but lacked the toughness to take full advantage of it on the football field. Johnson specifically recalls McNeal sitting out most of a game his freshman year with a minor wrist injury.

Johnson no longer worries about McNeal's toughness. In fact, the coach is often concerned for the health of would-be tacklers when McNeal does a little skip-step and unloads on them.

"When he does that, he's coming with a wallop," Johnson said. "I look at those little corners and say, 'Kid, get down.' "

The 5-9, 185-pound McNeal, ranked as the state's No. 45 recruit by Rivals.com, has developed into a tailback with few flaws. He rushed for 1,556 yards and 22 touchdowns on 171 carries last season to help Madison to its second consecutive trip three rounds deep in the playoffs.

McNeal and Madison expect more this year. McNeal's individual goals are 2,000 yards and 30 touchdowns. He considers those expectations reasonable with the help of four returning starters on the offensive line: Damian Allen, Corey Bradley, Allen Lee and Dominique Turner.

"If I get two seconds of blocking, I can do what I need to do to get by there," McNeal said. "Then I'm gone."

Johnson plans to make sure there is a significant increase in at least one McNeal statistic: carries. Madison's game plan is to give him the ball early and often.

"We're hoping to ride that horse for 16 games," Johnson said.

garageoffice
08-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Johnson plans to make sure there is a significant increase in at least one McNeal statistic: carries. Madison's game plan is to give him the ball early and often.

This points out something I was surprised by last year. McNeal is really great, but I thought they didn't give him the ball enough. I didn't see any games other than the one agains Kennedale, but I thought they could have run away with it for sure it they'd just kept giving him the ball. He's so good...not just fast, but a very good broken field rusher! They wasted way too much effort on a poor game plan that didn't get them anywhere.

I'm glad to see they're gonna utilize him more this year. That's gonna increase there potential, I think!

JR2004
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
This points out something I was surprised by last year. McNeal is really great, but I thought they didn't give him the ball enough. I didn't see any games other than the one agains Kennedale, but I thought they could have run away with it for sure it they'd just kept giving him the ball. He's so good...not just fast, but a very good broken field rusher! They wasted way too much effort on a poor game plan that didn't get them anywhere.

I'm glad to see they're gonna utilize him more this year. That's gonna increase there potential, I think!

I'm glad someone else noticed how little he was used last season. Fifteen carries a game for someone of his caliber was laughable at best. I just couldn't imagine him being somewhere like a Cuero or Jasper and seeing the ball that little each week.

If they use him like I think they're going to he's going to be getting at least 25-30 carries a game this season. He reminds me a lot of Taurean Henderson (When he played for Gatesville and led them to the state title in 2000) in that he has the ability to put a team on his back whenever he needs to. This should be an interesting and exciting senior season for Shawnbrey.

neck_06
08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
"If I get two seconds of blocking, I can do what I need to do to get by there," McNeal said. "Then I'm gone."

sounds like a plan.