PDA

View Full Version : Do Some Coaches "Sandbag"?

Bullaholic
08-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Every season you hear about coaches being accused of understating their team's potential and overstating injuries and readiness. Do you think some coaches consciously do this? Some coaches are said to "hold back" on the execution of their entire offensive playbook in order not to "show" too much before district or playoff play.

pero chato
08-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Every season you hear about coaches being accused of understating their team's potential and overstating injuries and readiness. Do you think some coaches consciously do this? Some coaches are said to "hold back" on the execution of their entire offensive playbook in order not to "show" too much before district or playoff play.

I think most coaches sandbag and hold back before district, but generally understate injuries instead of overstate. It's been my experience that posters on message boards, such as our favorite here, overstate injuries. When game time arrives, there's the player dressed out like nothing's wrong. Just my observation.

pirate44
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
our idiot coach my junior year INFLATED all the players physical sizes in Bill Rhyne's south texas preseason football magazine. i became 6'2" instead of my 6'-0" height. my 6'-4" brother was shown as being 6'6". i dont understand the oversizing of the players. almost every listing was greatly exagerated.

EricDraven
08-23-2006, 12:28 PM
Add as you go. New stuff is put in place as the season progresses. Run the basics right before you you go for all the thrills.

garageoffice
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure about the definition of sandbagging. If a coach intentionally understates his team's capabilities in any way, that's probably sandbagging.

As for execution? If you can win without showing all your cards, why not? That's just smart. However, I think most coaches want to win, regardless of who they're playing. So, I think it would be rare that you'd find a coach that would allow his team to lose a game they could have won by holding back.

VWG
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Add as you go. New stuff is put in place as the season progresses. Run the basics right before you you go for all the thrills.

Exactly. Every coach I have known always starts the season with the basic playbook for offense and defense. Every week something is added. By district you've got 100% of the playbook in. Once the playoffs start their are even a few wrinkles thrown in by some guys.
Unless.... you run the veer or a 6 to 7 play offense and just milk it for all it's worth.

GreenMonster
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
I think all coaches sandbag to the media. I don't think all coaches hold back on the play book though. I think in Iowa Park it is completely opposite. I think Coach Ellis likes to add to his play book in non-district and gradually decipher what things his teams do well and what things his teams can't do at all. By the time the first play-off game rolls around the offensive play-book has been narrowed down to one or two pages. Every play is a proven winner. Then all he has to do is run through his short list until he figures out which 5-10 plays are going to work against the defense that night. Of course you can actually double the playbook because every play IP runs can go either left or right.

Bullaholic
08-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Exactly. Every coach I have known always starts the season with the basic playbook for offense and defense. Every week something is added. By district you've got 100% of the playbook in. Once the playoffs start their are even a few wrinkles thrown in by some guys.
Unless.... you run the veer or a 6 to 7 play offense and just milk it for all it's worth.

Unless a team has made a coaching change, these same coaches see each other every year in district so I wonder how much new stuff is added each year, if any? To state the obvious.... it would be accurate to say that every coach wants to win every game, but the only thing that really counts are district games.

EricDraven
08-23-2006, 12:43 PM
Honestly, I'd rather run a few plays to perfection rather than 100 half-way. You need to progress, however.

Gobbla2001
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I do not think a coach will sandbag consistantly over the course of a few seasons...

Maybe his first year at the school, or maybe if he has a great team one season that wasn't so great the year before and he wants to sneak up on people, but those are the extreme...

HOWEVER, you will find coaches who run different offenses/defenses during scrimmages and pre-district for practice... when it comes district they run their bread and butter... if it stops working, they switch to something different which they practiced in scrimmages, pre-district games, district blow-outs and regular football practice etc...

EricDraven
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
I think you can put stuff on and pull it out when you're too predictable. But as I said before, it's better to run what you run well.

LH Panther Mom
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Unless a team has made a coaching change, these same coaches see each other every year in district so I wonder how much new stuff is added each year, if any? To state the obvious.... it would be accurate to say that every coach wants to win every game, but the only thing that really counts are district games.
Our offense changes all the time. Last year, it was:

Run right
Run right
Run left
Run up the middle
Run up the middle
Run left
QB up the middle
Run right
Fake right, run left
Pass to TE

This year it will be:

Run right
Run up the middle
Run left
Run left
Run up the middle
Run right
QB up the middle
Run right
Pass to TE
Fake left, run right

:D

Ranger Mom
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

Run right
Run right
Run left
Run up the middle
Run up the middle
Run left
QB up the middle
Run right
Fake right, run left
Pass to TE

This year it will be:

Run right
Run up the middle
Run left
Run left
Run up the middle
Run right
QB up the middle
Run right
Pass to TE
Fake left, run right

In that order??:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In that order??:thinking:
Of course. :devil: :devil: ;)

Bullaholic
08-23-2006, 01:04 PM

Run right
Run right
Run left
Run up the middle
Run up the middle
Run left
QB up the middle
Run right
Fake right, run left
Pass to TE

This year it will be:

Run right
Run up the middle
Run left
Run left
Run up the middle
Run right
QB up the middle
Run right
Pass to TE
Fake left, run right

lol, LHPM. I didn't realize that LH had gotten that "wide open" with their offense. Better have em' cut out a couple of those options before they accuse the Panthers of being a "run n' gun" team.

Blastoderm55
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
For some reason or another I read "Teabag" when I initially looked at this thread. :doh:

Bullaholic
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
For some reason or another I read "Teabag" when I initially looked at this thread. :doh:

Most coaches I know are not your "afternoon tea" types, blast. :D

Blastoderm55
08-23-2006, 02:10 PM
Most coaches I know are not your "afternoon tea" types, blast. :D

Oh you're so tender and innocent. I meant the other "teabag." :p

ILS1
08-23-2006, 05:19 PM
Reminds of good 'ol Coach Lou Holtz when he coached @ Notre Dame. He would hype up his opponents with accolades and praises as if they were the greatest team ever to put on a jock strap. But he would say his ND team was terrible and had poor execution and didn't know their right from their left. The very next day ND would kill their opponents something like 56-0!!! Good 'ol Lou!!! I miss him!!!

fury900
08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
Some coaches are said to hold back on the execution of their entire offensive playbook in order not to "show" too much before district or playoff play.
yes

LH Panther Mom
08-23-2006, 06:45 PM
lol, LHPM. I didn't realize that LH had gotten that "wide open" with their offense. Better have em' cut out a couple of those options before they accuse the Panthers of being a "run n' gun" team.
Oh, I forgot the most important part......

Repeat as needed :devil: :devil:

sweetwater07
08-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I think all coaches sandbag to the media. I don't think all coaches hold back on the play book though. I think in Iowa Park it is completely opposite. I think Coach Ellis likes to add to his play book in non-district and gradually decipher what things his teams do well and what things his teams can't do at all. By the time the first play-off game rolls around the offensive play-book has been narrowed down to one or two pages. Every play is a proven winner. Then all he has to do is run through his short list until he figures out which 5-10 plays are going to work against the defense that night. Of course you can actually double the playbook because every play IP runs can go either left or right.

i don;t think it was anything on IP coach..but in the playoffs last year...Sweetwater greatly underestimated IP

neck_06
08-23-2006, 09:30 PM

smart coaches dont show all they've got until it counts.

cdlvj
08-24-2006, 11:29 AM

Run right
Run right
Run left
Run up the middle
Run up the middle
Run left
QB up the middle
Run right
Fake right, run left
Pass to TE

This year it will be:

Run right
Run up the middle
Run left
Run left
Run up the middle
Run right
QB up the middle
Run right
Pass to TE
Fake left, run right

Yall have had the hosses to that!!

STANG RED
08-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Run right
Run right
Run left
Run up the middle
Run up the middle
Run left
QB up the middle
Run right
Fake right, run left
Pass to TE

This year it will be:

Run right
Run up the middle
Run left
Run left
Run up the middle
Run right
QB up the middle
Run right
Pass to TE
Fake left, run right

Yall have a few more than we have.
We have QB keepers, or handoffs up the middle.
And QB keepers or pitches to the outside. And???????????????????????????well that just about covers it I guess. It's probably good though. If we tried anything else, everyone in the stands would faint. :D

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2006, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by cdlvj
Yall have had the hosses to that!!
Slot-t....you either love to watch it or you think it's "boring". ;)