PDA

View Full Version : Hippos Believe They Are Ready To Line Up For Another Run

ILS1
08-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Wednesday, August 23, 2006

HUTTO — They are big, just not as big as their predecessors. They are talented, just not as touted as the last guys were. They are ready, but they're not as experienced as the previous year's squad.

A year ago, Hutto's offensive line featured four towering, intimidating beasts, all with three or more years of starting experience. Those Goliaths probably were the biggest key in last year's surprise run to the Class 3A, Division II championship game. They opened up huge holes and controlled the clock, including a nine-minute drive to close out the state semifinal upset against top-ranked Cuero.

But those four are gone. Graduated are Lee Gonzales (who's at Southern Methodist University), Jess Thomison, Kash Kothmann and Cody Almquist.

Hutto's offensive line this year? It's the question mark.

With everything else in place — returning all-district players in quarterback Jeremy Kerley, running back Shiloh Wampler and linebacker Dylan Martinez — the Hippos' success might depend on how quickly this year's offensive line comes together. Hutto, the No. 8-ranked team in the Austin American-Statesman's preseason power poll, will need the line in a big way.

Nobody knows that more than Matt Tomlinson, a senior and the line's lone returning starter.

"Hutto's big trademark last year was we had a big, hunkering line. That was our big thing," Tomlinson said. "This year we're going to try to live up to that. And we've got some people with size, and I think they've got the ability. We've just got to get them going."

The new starting linemen are sophomore Cory Taylor (260 pounds), junior Quint Gola (210 pounds) and senior Trice Ham (260). The center position still is up in the air.

"Yes, there is going to be a growing period with the line," Hutto coach Lee Penland said. "What we're trying to let these guys know is last year on Aug. 16, we weren't where we were on Dec. 16. So it's OK to not be rolling right now. We still have size. We still have talent. But we have scaled back a little bit and it is going to be a learning process for these guys."

You can hear Penland's thoughts echoed in his linemen.

"It's going to take a little bit, there's no doubt about that," Tomlinson said. "You don't just walk out on the field and play like we played last December. But I think that we will have it together by district play."

Tight end Kyle Reid, another returning starter, thinks the linemen could be just as effective as last year's.

"You see a lot of potential there," Reid said. "These guys aren't as big as last year's team, but size isn't everything. They can get lower, get more leverage, and maybe they'll even be quicker."

They won't have to block long, considering how quickly the Hippos' athletes hit the hole.

Kerley, who has committed to Texas Christian, is coming off a year where he rushed for 1,477 yards. Wampler blew up in the playoffs, running for 226 yards and three touchdowns in the championship game loss to Tatum.

"There's no doubt that when you have guys like Kerley and Wampler, I become a better coach," Penland said. "Take those guys away from me, and I'm not as good. Same goes for our offense."

Kerley, Wampler and the Hippos won't sneak up on anybody this year.

"You can already tell everybody is gunning for us," Tomlinson said. "That's what happens when you make the state championship game. The expectations are higher. And we're ready to meet them."

3afan
08-23-2006, 12:35 PM
http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/4533_imageMain400.jpg

Texas-Fight
08-23-2006, 02:43 PM
Good luck to the Hippos.

The Kracken
08-23-2006, 08:58 PM
should've played Cuero before district though

neck_06
08-23-2006, 09:01 PM
i still feel sorry for the girls teams at hutto............the fighting hutto lady hippos!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

MagicMan
08-23-2006, 09:08 PM
dont they run the ball every play? hutto fans should hope their team is ready to line up for another run. god forbid they have to THROW the ball one time.

Dogman_1969
08-23-2006, 09:09 PM
Last year they did what they wanted too!! We'll see this year. Their QB lost his "Go To" guy to graduation. My son and I went to several of thier games and they were tough.

neck_06
08-23-2006, 09:13 PM
that sig is too big. ;)

Maroon87
08-24-2006, 01:34 AM
Good to see the Hippos are shooting for the big enchilada. My team is getting raked on the 4A boards for having such high aspirations, even though we were in the finals last year just like Hutto.

kepdawg
08-24-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Good to see the Hippos are shooting for the big enchilada. My team is getting raked on the 4A boards for having such high aspirations, even though we were in the finals last year just like Hutto.

The GP {insert word of your choice here} make the Sweetwater/Snyder mess over here enjoyable!

Maroon87
08-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
The GP {insert word of your choice here} make the Sweetwater/Snyder mess over here enjoyable!

I'm not sure if you meant that to be funny but I'm laughing anyway...:clap:

kepdawg
08-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm not sure if you meant that to be funny but I'm laughing anyway...:clap:

I can handle ignorance, but I can't handle stupidity - I can't handle GP!

Maroon87
08-24-2006, 02:00 AM
I can handle ignorance, but I can't handle stupidity - I can't handle GP!

You're my boy!!!:cool:

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2006, 05:52 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Do you have a thermometer, kep? ;)

3afan
08-24-2006, 05:54 AM
the GP/Cal stuff is gonna ruin the 4A site ... but then again, thats 70% of whats going on over there

pancho villa
08-24-2006, 07:39 AM
What is the 4a site?

LH Panther Mom
08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
What is the 4a site?
www.texaaaasports.com

pirate44
08-24-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
www.texaaaasports.com
i used to go there to read the posts. the gp/cal stuff didnt bother me. it was the 3adl and 3adl member bashing going on there that got on my nerves.

Maroon87
08-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
the GP/Cal stuff is gonna ruin the 4A site ... but then again, thats 70% of whats going on over there

I wish more people from other schools/regions would start posting there. That would probably help to "dilute" some of what you're talking about.:cool: