PDA

View Full Version : Alfred Hitchcock's Cameo Appearance in Rope.

Phil C
08-23-2006, 09:57 AM
This was the great James Stewart movie in 1948 and probably the most difficult to see of Alfred Hitchcock's cameos that he made in his movies. I had recorded it and even though I had seen the movie I watched it last night after the volleyball game to see if I could catch the cameo and indeed I did. I had heard he appeared in the opening scene just after the credits walking down the street but after careful looking last night even though a man was walking down the street it was not Hitchcock. Instead the cameo appears as I have heard 55 minutes into the movie. In this scene Brandon (when you see the movie you will know who I mean) is saying goodbye to Janet and Kenneth as they are leaving the party. In the background is a window and neon red lights are flashing on and off making the image of Hitchcock during the scene. The image is never repeated after this scene as this is his cameo. The rare thing besides the cameo appearance is that it appears during an important scene and conversation which was very rare for Hitchcock. I am surprised he didn't just make his appearance walking down the street at the beginning of the movie. This is his only cameo besides Lifeboat (in which his cameo is in a newspaper add which is easy to spot if you know what to look for) in which he doesn't appear physically.
It is his most difficult cameo to spot in my opinion. Now if you ever watch the movie you know what to look for. Enjoy.

AggieJohn
08-23-2006, 09:59 AM
wow phil, you are amazing

garageoffice
08-23-2006, 10:19 AM
You're right Phil. I think it is his most difficult to spot. The first time I saw the movie I thought maybe he didn't make a cameo. The next time I saw it I just missed it; I was looking at the beginning. I think it was the third time I saw it that I finally spotted it.

Love the movie! I especially love the camera work. You know, dont' you, that the entire movie was shot with a single camera? If it hadn't been for the film capacity limitations of the day, it would have been made in a single, long shot. Instead, they spliced together each film segment so as to make it appear it was a single, continuous shot.

Phil C
08-23-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
You're right Phil. I think it is his most difficult to spot. The first time I saw the movie I thought maybe he didn't make a cameo. The next time I saw it I just missed it; I was looking at the beginning. I think it was the third time I saw it that I finally spotted it.

Love the movie! I especially love the camera work. You know, dont' you, that the entire movie was shot with a single camera? If it hadn't been for the film capacity limitations of the day, it would have been made in a single, long shot. Instead, they spliced together each film segment so as to make it appear it was a single, continuous shot.

Right you are garage. The camerman who did that movie deserved an oscar for that work which is amazing even today almost 60 years later. What is amazing is that nearly all of the scenes were actually in one room. I think they did this movie in several ten minute segments but it appears like one continuous shot as you said. It is amazing and the movie is very good.

Below is a web site that tells all of Hitchcock's cameos.

http://www.filmsite.org/hitchcockcameos.html

Phil C
08-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Below is another web site of Hitchcock's cameos which actually shows most of them.

http://hitchcock.tv/cam/cameos.html

Phil C
08-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I think after this movie that Hitchcock tried to get his cameo in as early as possible so people wouldn't be looking for him instead of paying attention to the story line.
I don't think he ever made a cameo in his television series (except maybe once or twice) since he appeared before and after each episode.

pirate4state
08-23-2006, 01:32 PM
I dont' think I've ever seen this movie! I'll have to check it out. Phil let me know when it'll be on again!! :)

Phil C
08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I dont' think I've ever seen this movie! I'll have to check it out. Phil let me know when it'll be on again!! :)

I sure will. It isn't listed anytime the next month but I will watch out for it because it is shown fairly regularly. Plus I also posted how to find montly schedules of stars in another thread for everyone's information. There are several Alfred Hitchcock movies on this weekend.

pirate4state
08-23-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I sure will. It isn't listed anytime the next month but I will watch out for it because it is shown fairly regularly. Plus I also posted how to find montly schedules of stars in another thread for everyone's information. There are several Alfred Hitchcock movies on this weekend. To all of you that have not seen Rear Window you'll have plenty of opportunties!! It is a great flick!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Phil C
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
To all of you that have not seen Rear Window you'll have plenty of opportunties!! It is a great flick!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Right you are p4s! Indeed if you have never seen it don't miss the opportunity to see it. It is a great Hitchcock movie and it stars James Stewart, Grace Kelley (who is great and later would become a queen), Thelma Ritter as Stewart's nurse (she was a great actress) and Raymond Burr as the killer (he would later be famous as Perry Mason).

Phil C
08-23-2006, 03:03 PM
One of the times Rear Window is on is this Friday at 6:20 A.M. on the Encore Mystery Channel

pirate4state
08-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
One of the times Rear Window is on is this Friday at 6:20 A.M. on the Encore Mystery Channel Good thing I own the DVD ... no way am I getting up that early!!

DaHop72
08-23-2006, 03:09 PM
Good thing I own the DVD ... no way am I getting up that early!! Mornings, ewwwwwwwww.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2130/3855nl3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

pirate4state
08-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Mornings, ewwwwwwwww.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2130/3855nl3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

hey look at me i'm post padding