PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy in trouble!!

PHS Wildcats
08-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Updated: Aug. 22, 2006, 5:17 PM ET
Sources: Cowboys' Coleman faces four-game ban
By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Veteran defensive back Marcus Coleman, signed as a free agent in April to provide experience and flexibility to the Dallas Cowboys' secondary, is facing a four-game league suspension for an alleged violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

ColemanLeague sources confirmed the potential suspension, which was first reported by the Dallas Morning News, but NFL officials declined comment, citing confidentiality policies. If the suspension is enforced, Coleman likely will miss the first four games of the season and forfeit four game checks, or $190,588 of his scheduled base salary of $810,000.

"I don't know," Coleman told the Morning News after Monday night's preseason game against the Saints. "I can't say anything about that."

Coleman, 32, signed a one-year deal with the Cowboys after the Houston Texans released him.

A 10-year veteran, Coleman played cornerback most of his career, then moved inside to safety in Houston for the past two seasons there. It was his ability to play both spots that made him attractive to the Cowboys, who viewed him as a "swing" defender, and a potential contributor in nickel situations.

While he doesn't run as well as he did earlier in his career, Coleman still has good short-range burst, and he remains a defender capable of making plays on the ball.

In two preseason contests, Coleman has played as a reserve, and he has one tackle.

A former Texas Tech standout, Coleman was a fifth-round draft choice of the New York Jets and played his first six seasons with the team before moving to Houston in the 2002 expansion draft. He has 561 tackles, 25 interceptions and 136 passes defensed in 149 appearances, including 101 starts.

During one five-year stretch of his career, 1999-2003, Coleman posted 20 interceptions, fifth most in the league in that period.

neck_94
08-23-2006, 06:27 AM
go cowboys

Bearkat
08-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Maybe this will take some of the attention and questions away from Owens.

Maroon87
08-23-2006, 08:58 AM
If I remember correctly, Coleman had a DUI or something while he was with the Texans.