PDA

View Full Version : Do u guys really put that much stock into scrimmages?

PHS Wildcats
08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I was wondering, because I see post where people are saying just because one team beat another team, then that team is be good during the season, or that beacsue one team move the ball up and down the field, that means the offense is unstoppable. To me scrimmages are like practices against another team.
:thinking:

AggieJohn
08-22-2006, 05:06 PM
i put stock into these scrimmages.....in high school that is....not the pros....

carter08
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
HS doesn't have preseason. Scrimmages matter

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
To me scrimmages are like practices against another team.
:thinking:
That's the way I look at them, especially if there aren't any quarters played. Someone (on another board) was talking about our intersquad scrimmage and how "great" our defense looked against our offense. HELLLLLOOOOOO! They should look good, since they defend it every day in practice. I love watching scrimmages, but you're right -- it's like practice.

PHS Wildcats
08-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I remember when I played, we would get beat in our scrimmages, but in the regular season we were great. I understand about execution and getting use to hitting another colored jersey. But say that a team lose a scrimmage or get badly out scored. A scrimmage could've went 6tds to 1td, but when did the TDs occur? During the 10 play series how many by the 1st team, how many by the 2nd team, how many by the 3rd? Did the score during Goal line situations and so on?

3afan
08-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by carter08

they "matter" for the work a team gets in but thats about it

wedo
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
they "matter" for the work a team gets in but thats about it

Thats what i think!!! You want your kids to get the work in against another team but if a team does bad you cna't judge by that too much!!!

Paratrooper
08-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i put stock into these scrimmages.....in high school that is....not the pros....

I have to agree with Aggie John here. In the highschools it will give you a real indication of how good they are and the depth. The pros are just looking to cut their rosters. I have seen pro teams lose every preseason game and go on to have a banner year. I think the approach is totally different.

Ranger Mom
08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Considering that during a scrimmage we have lost 2 QB's in the past 3 years.....I officially HATE scrimmages!!

SintonFan_inAustin
08-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I remember when I played, we would get beat in our scrimmages, but in the regular season we were great.

sounds like maybe the best opposition u faced were ur scrimmages;)

3afan
08-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
...... I have seen pro teams lose every preseason game and go on to have a banner year.

same thing happens in HS ............. and most HS' dont "cut" but they are still trying to decide who can play and who cant so there's not much difference IMO

hutex04
08-22-2006, 07:19 PM
scrimmages should not be taken as hard as some take it. But ill admitt i was angry to see hutto only beat Llano 4-2 the other day.

tigerpride_08
08-22-2006, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by carter08

i feel the same way...

piratebg
08-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Scrimmages are very important. Practices can only show you so much, but scrimmages really give you more of an idea of what kind of hand you've been dealt. It allows the coaches the oppurtunity to see what's working and what adjustments need to be made before the season starts.

carter08
08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
i feel the same way...

how'd wharton do in thier scrimmage

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Scrimmages are very important. Practices can only show you so much, but scrimmages really give you more of an idea of what kind of hand you've been dealt. It allows the coaches the oppurtunity to see what's working and what adjustments need to be made before the season starts.
Very true. It's the best tool they have to get stuff worked out before it "counts". I just don't get all worked up over what the "score" is in a scrimmage. ;)

Gobbla2001
08-22-2006, 08:13 PM
they're a good thing for practice etc...

just imagine how much the list of past National Champions in college football would change if they scrimmaged two teams before counting the games (or had playoffs ;) )

I don't care what you say, but if 1A Shiner beats 5A SLC in a scrimmage that SAYS something...

Seriously, scrimmages don't mean too much unless the result is simular to the situation above...

Yes, you can tell how good your defense can be and you can tell how good your offense can be, but it doesn't say truely how 'good they actually are'...

Example: A star QB scrambles, thinks about running but ends up throwing a bad pass that is picked off, this is in a scrimmage...

Bad passer? could be... THEN AGAIN: The coach isn't stupid, he is not going to have his star QB try and run against a physicaly team and get hurt... before that scrimmage ever begins that QB knows that his coach wants him to throw no matter how bad of a pass it will be unless he has a 'clear', and I stress 'clear' path to the sideline...

TPlinebacker53
08-22-2006, 09:02 PM
scrimmages r pretty much the same as regular season games..just the teams arent as sharp yet

neck_06
08-22-2006, 09:05 PM
scrimmages do mean something...........to the TWOS and the THREES coaches already know what most of their starters can do, they are just looking for people to fill in the gaps.

OldNavy
08-22-2006, 09:24 PM
I think they matter. No matter how well you practice, this is the first chance you get to look at how your players will react at "game speed." Also, a chance to look at all those you think might be players.

I saw a scrimmage this weekend and while it was not a game, the kids were working real hard and their emotions were high. It sure seemed to matter to the team I saw.

sweetwater07
08-22-2006, 09:30 PM
scrimmages ehlp prepare a team for pre-district...and for how abd we played against MC we need the help

LH Panther Mom
08-22-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by OldNavy
I think they matter. No matter how well you practice, this is the first chance you get to look at how your players will react at "game speed." Also, a chance to look at all those you think might be players.

I saw a scrimmage this weekend and while it was not a game, the kids were working real hard and their emotions were high. It sure seemed to matter to the team I saw.
:clap: :clap:

PHS Wildcats
08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
sounds like maybe the best opposition u faced were ur scrimmages;)

Low Blow, but I'll take it like a man, so I'm not going to crack back at you. But Good one:evil:

LEROY
08-23-2006, 07:31 AM
Most of the kids understand it's just a practice, but nice to hit someone else for a change.

CenTexSports
08-23-2006, 08:07 AM
As an outsider that sees three or four scrimmages every year, I think a scrimmage shows the quality of athletes that a program has (size, speed, and how many good athletes they have). The scrimmage doesn't really show the quality of the team because they are still learning the assignments and trying to fine tune their skills.

Phil C
08-23-2006, 08:18 AM
Scrimages to me are just practice. It helps get the boys ready for the regular season. I have never paid attention to scores in scrimages because the teams are not at their best and coaches are looking at different players at different positions. This is especially true for a team that has lots of young players coming in who may not even be sharp until mid-season when district starts and then they are dangerous. So no - scrimages and scores mean little to me.

DUKE22
08-23-2006, 09:30 AM
I think scrimmages are very important in high school ball. Kids get to go against other kids going full speed. A defensive player gets to read a key at full speed. Often times at 3a level or below scout teamers cant give the same look that other teams can.