PDA

View Full Version : Lots of leather in Cuero

Gobbler Fan
08-22-2006, 07:13 AM
Lots of leather in Cuero
Youngsters bring home trophy saddles from TYRA finals
August 22, 2006
When the Texas Youth Rodeo Association finals were over, five of the trophy saddles were taken to Cuero.

Brother and sister Clint and Kendra Nyegaard each won two saddles, and Rowdy Haferkamp won one.

Clint, 16, was the TYRA finals and yearend champion senior ribbon roper, and Kendra, 17, was the finals and yearend champion senior ribbon runner.

In ribbon roping, the cowboy ropes the calf so the cowgirl can pull a ribbon off the calf's tail and run back across a line with it.

The Nyegaards went into the finals sitting second, 10 points behind the pair that was winning it. When the dust settled, the Nyegaards had won the event by 2 seconds.

Clint also placed second at the finals in team roping with Russ Graves.

Typically a strong tie down calf roper, Clint didn't have much success in that event. "I had been hauling so much. I was gone for four weeks. We came home for two days from Abilene, we were there for the high school finals. I didn't get to practice for a couple of weeks," he said.

What Clint won't tell is that his goal this year was to help Kendra win a saddle. Although he could have won more money competing at calf roping events, whenever his mother, Trisha Nyegaard, would ask him if he wanted to go to a calf roping event or a TYRA rodeo, he would choose the TYRA rodeo in an effort for he and Kendra to qualify for the finals.

This was the first time for either of the Nyegaards to win a saddle.

This was also Rowdy Haferkamp's first trophy saddle. He won for being TYRA finals boys breakaway roping champion.

In addition to breakaway roping, Rowdy, 13, who has been rodeoing since he was 4, competes in team roping, ribbon roping and tie down calf roping.

He said team roping was his favorite event because he has been doing it longer and is better at it.

His partner is his sister, Macie Haferkamp, 17, who recently graduated from Cuero High School and will be rodeoing for Wharton County Junior College.

Macie, who has competed in barrel racing, pole bending, breakaway roping and goat tying, in addition to team roping has won nine saddles and 70 buckles in her rodeo career.

At the TYRA finals, she was awarded a $1,500 Gail Cardwell Shanahan Scholarship.

The Haferkamp's parents are Lynn and Lisa Haferkamp.

Rowdy and the Nyegaards will start back up with youth rodeo competition at the end of September when the TYRA and Youth Rodeo Association rodeos start.

Phil C
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
RIDE 'EM COWBOY! (AND COWGIRL!) :)

AP Panther Fan
08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Great article, congratulations to those kids!

It seems appropriate that one of their names is Rowdy. Doesn't Rowdy sound rodeo-ish?:D

injuredinmelee
08-22-2006, 09:49 AM
breckenridge had a kid named Cash a few years ago. i loved that name. the best high school football name ever was Ty Kuhn.

Texas-Fight
08-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
breckenridge had a kid named Cash a few years ago. i loved that name. the best high school football name ever was Ty Kuhn. Congratulations to these Cuero kids. I have to disagree with you injuredinmelee, the best high school name ever comes from a defensive end from Rockdale a few years ago named Stryker Sulak.