PDA

View Full Version : Keller to Nebraska?

eagles_victory
08-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Arizona State quarterback Sam Keller, who was named the Sun Devils' starting quarterback on Friday only to lose the job to sophomore Rudy Carpenter two days later, has been told by coach Dirk Koetter that he will be released from his scholarship, a source close to Keller said Monday night.

According to the source, the senior is seriously considering transferring to one of three schools, and Nebraska might currently be his top choice. The source said the quarterback could remain at Arizona State, but that the possibility of returning to the Sun Devils team "seems unlikely."

The Lincoln (Neb.) Journal Star reported on its Web site Monday night that two sources close to the Cornhuskers program said Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell had phoned the team's quarterbacks to inform them of the coaches' intent to bring Keller aboard. One of the sources, however, said "it's not a done deal."

The newspaper also reported that Mike Keller, the quarterback's father, said his son had been released from his scholarship by Arizona State.

Keller, who started seven games for Arizona State last season before breaking his thumb, would have to sit out this coming season under NCAA transfer rules if he decides to leave the Sun Devils for another Division I-A program. He would have one season of eligibility remaining in 2007.

Keller was one of the top-rated passers in Division I-A in 2005 before he was hurt, completing 58 percent of his passes (155-for-264) for 2,165 yards with 20 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Carpenter rallied the Sun Devils to a 4-1 record in their last five games last season and was named MVP of Arizona State's 45-40 victory over Rutgers in the Insight Bowl. He led Division I-A in pass efficiency by completing 68 percent of his passes (156-for-228) for 2,273 yards with 17 touchdowns and only two interceptions.

The players were involved in one of the most intense position battles in college football during preseason camp. Koetter announced Keller would be the team's starting quarterback Friday, but then abruptly reversed his decision two days later after meeting with the school's athletic director and a group of team leaders.

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's practice.

Keller, from Danville, Calif., would seem to be a perfect fit for Nebraska coach Bill Callahan's West Coast offense. Cornhuskers starter Zac Taylor is a senior, and highly regarded freshman Harrison Beck went AWOL during Nebraska's preseason camp and transferred to North Carolina State.

If Keller leaves Arizona State, the Sun Devils would have only one other scholarship quarterback on their roster: freshman Danny Sullivan.

hawkfan
08-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Why would he want to transfer to another Div I school? He is a senior and he has to sit out a year.

VWG
08-22-2006, 08:25 AM
In the article it says if he sits out he would have one year of eligibility remaining.

injuredinmelee
08-22-2006, 09:44 AM
why not sit out. Focus on chicks and learning a new offense.

District303aPastPlayer
08-22-2006, 09:56 AM
Send em to SHSU (it was bound to be said eventually)