PDA

View Full Version : US Ryder Cup Team Announced

Adidas410s
08-21-2006, 09:47 AM
MEDINAH, Ill. -- Tom Lehman filled out the U.S. Ryder Cup team Monday by taking Stewart Cink and Scott Verplank as his captain's picks, hoping experience and accuracy will help his squad end a dozen years of European dominance.

Cink was a captain's pick two years ago, and the 33-year-old has been one of the few Americans to play well over the last two months in moving up to No. 12 in the standings.

Verplank was a surprise.

He is straight off the tee and a solid putter, but he finished the second round at the PGA Championship by making double bogeys on two of his last three holes to miss the cut, and many thought that was the end of his chances.

Lehman passed over Lucas Glover, a 26-year-old with tremendous raw skill and power, but little experience; and Steve Stricker, who tied for seventh Sunday at Medinah and is one of the best putters on the PGA Tour.

Also left out was Davis Love III, ending his streak of playing on every Ryder Cup team since 1993, the longest of any American.

The U.S. team is led by Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Jim Furyk, Chad Campbell, David Toms and Chris DiMarco.

Four rookies qualified for the U.S. team this year by finishing in the top 10 in the standings through the PGA Championship -- Vaughn Taylor, J.J. Henry, Zach Johnson and Brett Wetterich. However, all but Henry missed the cut at Medinah.

Cink, who played on the last two Ryder Cup teams, was 12th in the standings and tied for 24th in the PGA Championship. What might have helped was playing Sunday with vice captain Corey Pavin and shooting a 69.

"I feel like I'm playing OK and I think I'm ready to win a tournament," Cink said on Sunday. "If that tournament happens to be the Ryder Cup, then I'll be happy with that."

Verplank, who was under consideration because he putts well and keeps the ball in play, missed the cut Friday after making double bogeys on two of his last three holes.

wyliegrad04
08-21-2006, 10:15 AM
has Bob Estes ever played for the Ryder Cup Team?

Adidas410s
08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
has Bob Estes ever played for the Ryder Cup Team?

nope. He was 11 or 12 in the standings 2 teams ago I believe but wasn't a captain's pick. They chose DL3 and/or Couples who were ranked a lot lower.

injuredinmelee
08-21-2006, 10:49 AM
Bob rarely puts together a full tourneys worth of good golf. He makes shots to put himself into postion but cant seem to make the putts to score.

He is def the best dressed golfer on tour.

DaHop72
08-21-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm not so sure about the Verplank choice.

injuredinmelee
08-21-2006, 12:16 PM
yeah the Verplank choice perplexes me. I would much rather have DLIII on the team. Its getting old getting spanked every year.

DaHop72
08-21-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
yeah the Verplank choice perplexes me. I would much rather have DLIII on the team. Its getting old getting spanked every year. DLIII seemed the logical choice to me, but I guess Lehman has something in mind.

Adidas410s
08-21-2006, 12:36 PM
has the US ever won with DL3 on the team?

DaHop72
08-21-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
has the US ever won with DL3 on the team? In 1993 and 1999.

shankbear
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
He screwed the pooch on picking Cink. Should have taken DLIII

Adidas410s
08-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
He screwed the pooch on picking Cink. Should have taken DLIII

Why would you have taken DL3 over Cink?

shankbear
08-21-2006, 01:11 PM
Just don't like Cink. Think he trivialized the spirit of the rules at the tournament at Hilton Head a couple of years ago and that stuck in my craw.