PDA

View Full Version : HS football team shaves heads in support of fellow player - not 3A but worth reading

Phantom Stang
08-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Football team shows support for Head
BY TRAVIS BURLESON/Reporter Staff Writer

A Blackwell High School student under went surgery Friday morning in Lubbock at Covenant Medical Center for a brain tumor.

Aaron Head, 16, had a successful surgery and is doing well. Doctors did find an additional tumor, but according to friends, the surgery removed most, if not all, of the tumor.

Head first learned of his tumor when he went to the doctor earlier this month for a routine physical for the upcoming football season. He told the doctor he had suffered from frequent dizziness and headaches. His parents had thought the reason for these problems were due to sinus infections.

The doctor believed he might have post concussion syndrome and told Head's parents he could not play football until he had an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan.

The MRI scan indicated Head had a brain tumor, and he would not be able to play during the upcoming football season.

The young man was extremely disappointed. Head was more upset about not being able to play football than he was about the tumor.

Pam Robison, a close friend of the Head family, said the junior is a very personable and outgoing person who had motivated the rest of the football team to practice during the summer.

“He doesn't want to think about it (the tumor). He just wants to get back to normal and hang out with his friends. He has an excellent chance for a full recovery,” Robison said.

Robison said Head will be at home after the surgery for six to eight weeks, and his dad will more than likely stay at home part of the time to take care for him. She added that the doctor said if he does everything he's supposed to do, he will be able to play basketball in the fall.

The community has come together to support Head during this hard time in his life.

“The whole community of Blackwell has wrapped their arms around him to take care of him and his family,” Robison said.

Last week, the football team showed their support for their teammate. The team, along with other students and friends, got together to shave their heads with Head to show they are with him.

“I'm happy they all came to do this for me. I mean, who would shave their head for you. You know you have some true friends when they do something like this for you. I really do thank them for everything,” said Head.

The BHS cheerleaders have held a bake sale to raise money for unpaid medical and travel ex-penses for the Head family, as well as scheduling a dance in Blackwell on Sept. 2.

“I think it's awesome that these kids are willing to do this to show Aaron they support and care for him,” said Robison.

The football players will where Head's number 42 on their helmets this season to honor him.

Also, the cheerleaders made arm bands with the number 42 on them for students to wear to show they are with him.

Anyone interested in helping the Head family with expenses can make a donation at Texas National Bank. The account number is 571350.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

Old Green
08-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Graet story. prayers go out to him and his family for a speedy recovery.

Ranger Mom
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Awww....that's a touching story!

What class IS Blackwell?

wildstangs
08-20-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Awww....that's a touching story!

What class IS Blackwell?

1A - 6 man

Big Papa
08-20-2006, 03:08 PM
1A-6man-div. 2

:D

Snydertigersrul
08-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Football team shows support for Head
BY TRAVIS BURLESON/Reporter Staff Writer

A Blackwell High School student under went surgery Friday morning in Lubbock at Covenant Medical Center for a brain tumor.

Aaron Head, 16, had a successful surgery and is doing well. Doctors did find an additional tumor, but according to friends, the surgery removed most, if not all, of the tumor.

Head first learned of his tumor when he went to the doctor earlier this month for a routine physical for the upcoming football season. He told the doctor he had suffered from frequent dizziness and headaches. His parents had thought the reason for these problems were due to sinus infections.

The doctor believed he might have post concussion syndrome and told Head's parents he could not play football until he had an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan.

The MRI scan indicated Head had a brain tumor, and he would not be able to play during the upcoming football season.

The young man was extremely disappointed. Head was more upset about not being able to play football than he was about the tumor.

Pam Robison, a close friend of the Head family, said the junior is a very personable and outgoing person who had motivated the rest of the football team to practice during the summer.

“He doesn't want to think about it (the tumor). He just wants to get back to normal and hang out with his friends. He has an excellent chance for a full recovery,” Robison said.

Robison said Head will be at home after the surgery for six to eight weeks, and his dad will more than likely stay at home part of the time to take care for him. She added that the doctor said if he does everything he's supposed to do, he will be able to play basketball in the fall.

The community has come together to support Head during this hard time in his life.

“The whole community of Blackwell has wrapped their arms around him to take care of him and his family,” Robison said.

Last week, the football team showed their support for their teammate. The team, along with other students and friends, got together to shave their heads with Head to show they are with him.

“I'm happy they all came to do this for me. I mean, who would shave their head for you. You know you have some true friends when they do something like this for you. I really do thank them for everything,” said Head.

The BHS cheerleaders have held a bake sale to raise money for unpaid medical and travel ex-penses for the Head family, as well as scheduling a dance in Blackwell on Sept. 2.

“I think it's awesome that these kids are willing to do this to show Aaron they support and care for him,” said Robison.

The football players will where Head's number 42 on their helmets this season to honor him.

Also, the cheerleaders made arm bands with the number 42 on them for students to wear to show they are with him.

Anyone interested in helping the Head family with expenses can make a donation at Texas National Bank. The account number is 571350.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

I think its great that his teammates showed their support for him. I know Blackwell is a small Six-man school, but they deserve an A plus for this.