PDA

View Full Version : Leach: Harrell wins starting quarterback job

kaorder1999
08-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Leach: Harrell wins starting quarterback job

08:04 PM CDT on Saturday, August 19, 2006

By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News

LUBBOCK – Coach Mike Leach named former Ennis standout Graham Harrell the starting quarterback after Saturday's practice. However, the competition with Chris Todd was so close, Leach said the decision wasn't set in stone: "If we were to play today it would be Graham, but that's subject to change as we go."

Leach met with Harrell and Todd before practice to inform them of his decision, although they shared an equal number of snaps in the afternoon. Tech will close its practices today and begin game-week style preparation for the Sept. 2 opener against SMU.

"Nothing really changes," Harrell said. "Just keep working, keep improving every day and try to win ballgames."

Leach said Todd, who declined comment, can make some throws that Harrell can't and is further along than any other redshirt freshman he's coached. He said Harrell, a third-year sophomore, got the nod because of his efficiency running the offense.

"He just sorts things out a little quicker," Leach said. "Perhaps it's a year experience [over Todd], but just as far as checking and sorting through it, Graham's a little quicker on the money."

GWOOD
08-19-2006, 08:42 PM
Way to go Harrell! I think both guys will be better passers than Hodges. I just hope they are as tough as Hodges.

PlayaJBiehl20
08-19-2006, 10:21 PM
my family have known the harrells for about 16 yrs now, its good to see graham doing good, maybe clark can do the same

PPHSfan
08-19-2006, 10:32 PM
I watched Harrell get beat in the Title Game his senior year. He is pretty amazing. I think he may have been an elite11 qb.