PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

KTJ
08-17-2006, 11:50 PM
Here's the deal--

I'm STILL jobless in Austin. Lukily, I have nice parents and a part-time job working as a substitute at an Elementary school. It's fun work, but the kids are immature and are hyper as hell. (And, I NEED MONEY!) My lease on my apartment expires on Monday. I'm going to list some pro/cons with both situations and you tell me what you think.

Option A.) Stay in Austin

Pros:
- Closer to UT for sports (football/basketball/etc.)
- I'm not closer to my parents.
- It's Austin.
- Would still be in touch with friends for a bit longer.
- Referee stuff---already established and well known in this chapter. That's how I get all the good games and good playoff games.
- I work with various groups at UT--I'd still be in touch with them.

Cons:

- Can't find a job in this city at all. It's really sad how horrible Austin is when trying to find a job. I've been looking for over a year. (But I did come to find out, I'm not the only one in this situation.)
- It's Austin.
- Traffic makes me want to shank someone.
- Finding an apartment that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or isn't in Round Rock is impossible.

Option B.) Move back home/ to Dallas

Pros:

- Larger city = more job opportunities???
- Larger city = more people to meet/mingle with.
- More than 2 highways to drive on.

Cons:

- Away from UT football and other sports (Although driving down each weekend won't be a problem.)
- Referee - Will have to virtually start brand new in another chapter. Will be on the lower end of the totum pole...although I think I could move up quickly due to my points and my abilities. But that's not a given. (My playoff games would probably be cut in half and close to none.)
- Not close to the groups that I volunteer for at UT.
- Closer to parents, other relatives who are really bothersome, and high school friends I haven't talked to in forever. (I love those people, but I don't want to see them on an everyday basis. I hope that makes sense. And if it doesn't, PM me and I'll explain.)

So what are your thoughts?

Ranger Mom
08-17-2006, 11:55 PM
Hmmm...I had my mind made up before I read the pro's and con's, now I am on the fence.

I will have to analyze it some more.

:D

PPHSfan
08-18-2006, 12:26 AM
You should take your skills to New Orleans and make three times as much money as you can even if you find a job in Austin. Hey, there is always Reggie Bush and the Saints.:D

slpybear the bullfan
08-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Search for a Job in Waco.

:)

Well, remember this about austin... On the bad side... well... its Austin. And on the bad side... its austin.

3afan
08-18-2006, 06:29 AM
sounds like you need to head north ....

KTJ
08-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
sounds like you need to head north ....

That's what I'm afraid of.

CHS_CG
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
have you looked at jobs with a tad of a drive.. like just out side of austin??

Adidas410s
08-18-2006, 10:25 AM
what are your degree(s) in? What type of employment are you seeking?

KTJ
08-18-2006, 10:30 AM
Talena - That answer is yes. Although there aren't a lot of jobs in Hutto, Taylor, Goergetown, or Kyle.

Adidas - My degree is in Communications. I want a full time job, M-F, 8-5. That's all I ask. I'm not searching for a specific field or a specific type of job. I'm open to just about anything.

Blastoderm55
08-18-2006, 10:51 AM
My fiancee just graduated with highest honors from UT in May with a degree from the College of Communications (Journalism). She has yet to find a full time job that will allow her to utilize her degree. She tried the Dell sales thing, and that job was just B.S. Its no surprise the company is tanking. I got her to leave Austin, as there are no jobs outside the service sector that will hire a recent grad without a ton of experience. She's here in Beeville with me now and has an interview at an accounting firm at 1:30. I suggest you leave Austin. The city is nice, but its terribly expensive, and the opportunities just aren't their unless you're an engineer or software designer. Don't lose the faith. The top three in her class have yet to find journalism jobs, with the top guy working at Wal-Mart part time and the other two peddling across the nation looking for whatever scraps they can find in order to break into broadcast journalism.

3afan
08-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by KTJ

- Referee stuff---already established and well known in this chapter. That's how I get all the good games and good playoff games.
- Referee - Will have to virtually start brand new in another chapter. Will be on the lower end of the totum pole...although I think I could move up quickly due to my points and my abilities. But that's not a given. (My playoff games would probably be cut in half and close to none.)

good, competent referees are in need EVERYWHERE .... so where ever you end up you should be able to climb the ladder and get those good games - if your performance merits it. now i'm sure there are some "good ol' boy" issues with some chapters, not much you can do about that ...

Adidas410s
08-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
good, competent referees are in need EVERYWHERE .... so where ever you end up you should be able to climb the ladder and get those good games - if your performance merits it. now i'm sure there are some "good ol' boy" issues with some chapters, not much you can do about that ...
Also, get letters of recommendation from senior members in your chapter. People that are reputable across the state/region/etc will know people in other chapters so it's likely the Dallas and Austin big wigs know each other.

When I called baseball, one of our "middle of the road" officials with about 4 years of experience was able to get on with the chapter in Toms River, NJ (probably the most well known LL program in the country) because he received a favorable recommendation from our senior officials, who had called the LL state and regional tourneys along with 1 appearance in Williamsport. It's all about connections so you should be fine moving to Dallas. I know I can use my connections from Abilene to get good games calling baseball here in Dallas if I can find the time to get back into it next spring.

Old Green
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
If you are in the education field, I read in the paper there are a shortage of teachers in the Victoria ISD. Large town with lots to do and not far from Austin (2Hours). You can attend pro sports events in Houston and San Antonio. All 2 hours or less away.

They also have been looking for offials to do games in the area. Baketball and football my cousin who is a high school official told me.

There also local 2 local TV Stations in Victoria you might check out.

big daddy russ
08-18-2006, 12:19 PM
KTJ, check out journalismjobs.com and then register with TVJobs.com. Well worth the $40 a year that you spend on it. As a kid with three years experience and no college degree, I got four offers because of tvjobs.com.

Also, if you did any internships or externships during college, call those employers back. Ask one of the lower management-types if they're hiring or if he has any connections and could hook you up. Tell him to ask around the office and put your name out there, because people will be willing to go out on a limb for someone they know. On a side note, never go to upper management in these situations. A lot of times they're just in it for themselves whereas the guys lower down the food chain geniunely care about each employee.

One last thing to try (and you may have already tried this) would be UT's job placement center. And if that doesn't work, try St. Edward's, Concordia, Texas State, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington, UNT, and all the universities at all the rest of the places that you may be looking. Some places may shoot you down, but some may be cool about it and hook you up with some leads. The guys over at Texas A&M-Corpus Christi found me a job and I had never been to school there, so it's at least worth a shot.

Oh, and one more thing, if you haven't had your resume looked over send it to me. I'll get back to you sometime next week.

txsurf@hotmail.com

STANG RED
08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
If your sharp, clean, and arent scared of work, we are always looking for young bucks that want to become good electricians, and I can put you to work, right here in Austin. If you put your mind and back into it, you can be making 50K + in 5 years. But you have to be willing to start at the bottom, and work your way up. Many arent willing to put in the learning time it takes, to get to the good stuff though. But if your willing to put in the time and effort, it can be a very rewarding career in a few years.
Give me a shout if your interested.

Blastoderm55
08-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh, if you want to put your degree to marginal use, you can probably catch on as a Manager Trainee with any Rent to Own store in the Austin area, and there's always tons of openings. Stores include Rent-A-Center, Aaron's, Colortyme, Buzz's, and Partner's. The one most promising for college grads is Aaron's as you'll get fast-tracked and will be put in a store that has the tools to succeed. Decent base pay plus a good share of profits puts it above the rest. Kiss your social life away, though. :p

raider red 2000
08-18-2006, 12:54 PM
i am sure that you could become a teacher....if you wanted in Austin.

my wife went through ITeachTexas.com

it was like 3500 and takes like 6 months. it wasnt too hard.

teachers might not get paid the most, but 3 months off in the summer and christmas breaks....it is the life :)

KTJ
08-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i am sure that you could become a teacher....if you wanted in Austin.

my wife went through ITeachTexas.com

it was like 3500 and takes like 6 months. it wasnt too hard.

teachers might not get paid the most, but 3 months off in the summer and christmas breaks....it is the life :)

Ehh, I went that route kinda. The only problem is that I'm only qualified to teach one subject. And it's a subject that there usually aren't a lot of openings for because they fill those openings with unqualified English teachers.

Blastoderm55
08-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Not to mention districts outside of the major metro areas don't recognize the I Teach Texas program as being accredited, so you'll end up with lots of rejections from smaller schools. If you don't mind teaching in inner-city Houston, its a great program. :D

AggieJohn
08-18-2006, 04:11 PM
honestly, if you don't stay away from your hometown, you'll be miserable...moving back is about the worse thing you can do

If you need too, go to a different city where you can find a job....also, if you are a basketball ref, it would be smarter to make this move in the next few months being that when season starts up, you wanna be in place

KTJ
08-19-2006, 06:36 AM
one last round of opinions.....

LH Panther Mom
08-19-2006, 07:08 AM
There's quite a few positions open you know where..... ;)

PlayaJBiehl20
08-19-2006, 07:23 AM
stay in austin