PDA

View Full Version : Best Energy Drink & Snack

Bullaholic
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
What do you think is best, or what do your coaches give, for an energy drink and high-energy snack for the players?

kaorder1999
08-17-2006, 10:40 AM
water during practice and before practice....gatorade after practice.

LH Panther Mom
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Same here

Bullaholic
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

ka....how have the rules and procedures for practice changed because of the heat and heat fatalities of recent years?

shankbear
08-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Bomb the water before and during the activity and then hit the Gatorade or Powerade after for the electrolytes. There is a low carb version for those watching their figures. lol.

kaorder1999
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
ka....how have the rules and procedures for practice changed because of the heat and heat fatalities of recent years?

things have changed a bit. at certain temperatures you are not supposed to go out. Our trainer is in charge of following that procedure with the electronic devices he has. We make our kids weigh in before and after each practice. Im not sure if that is mandated across the state but our trainer is real good at monitoring the kids weight loss to make sure they have enough liquids in them and arent losing too much water weight.

Bullaholic
08-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Coach Henson tells a funny story about several Bulls players who "loaded" up on milk and burritos (go figure) without his knowledge before a game one year, and he had about 6 players throwing up along the sidelines at once during the game.

GreenMonster
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
One thing I can add to this thread is that unless you've had a heat related illness you really have no idea what those guys are going through. Once you've had heat exhaustion you are much more succeptible to getting it again. Kind of like a concussion. Heat illness can also grow in intensity after the first one. If you have a kid that is feeling woozy get him out of his gear at once and in a cool shower and then into an air conditioned area out of the sun. Remember, there are only 2 steps beyond heat exhaustion; heat stroke and death. Don't be foolish and let a kid die because you think he's just dogging it. For faster absorption rate of fluids have some available at room temperature. Unfortunately I had to learn all of these things the HARD way. It all started due to an upset stomach that wouldn't allow me to keep my fluids down. I went to practice anyways and here I am 13 years later still having to be careful in the summer heat. I promise you that once you've had it a couple of times you learn how to understand what your body is telling you. I've walked away from a round of golf in the middle on more than one occasion because my body said it was time to go.

kaorder1999
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
as a coach its real easy to tell a young man...quit being a baby and come on. Work....run.....

But you do have to think about the risks and the dangers the young man is in!